Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #41
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396
Default Re: New York Sun Article: Big Ben May Be Nearing Ranks of Brady, Manning

It's nice to get your ego stroked, but I don't like it when the media is the one stroking it. It seems to work against the Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #42
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104
Default Re: New York Sun Article: Big Ben May Be Nearing Ranks of Brady, Manning

I didnt like how Faneca react,by deciding to go publicly against the steelers management,but the more I see our O-Line playin the more I'm convinced that we need to get him signed.We can't afford to lose him our O-Line is so bad I can't even imagine what it would be without Fan
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #43
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Is Big Ben just getting started?

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 9, 2007

Five touchdown passes in 28:09 would seemingly speak for themselves.

But upon further review, Ben Roethlisberger's career game on Monday night was as revealing for the manner in which it was achieved as it was the heights the Steelers' quarterback reached.

Roethlisberger dropped back to pass 19 times against Baltimore.

On two occasions he threw flanker screens, getting rid of the football almost immediately upon receiving it.

On the other 17 attempts, he was sacked three times and flushed from the pocket six times.

In other words, the protection broke down more than half the time it was needed, and still Roethlisberger thrived.

We point this out not to bury the offensive line, but to praise Big Ben.

With little or no running game to rely upon and no time to execute the play as planned more often than not, Roethlisberger completed 69 percent of his passes and found three different receivers for a combined five scores.

Can it get any better than that?

And, what if it does?

It's the Cleveland Browns that Roethlisberger will attempt to dissect tomorrow, but at the same time it's the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts that the Steelers are chasing.

They can go a long way toward securing the AFC North Division championship by beating Cleveland.

But they'll still have a long way to go as far as perceiving themselves as the potential equals of Indianapolis and New England, as a team capable of doing something in a playoff matchup with the Colts or Patriots besides getting beaten.

To make the most of their expected return trip to the postseason, the Steelers are going to have to make up ground in a hurry.

They're going to have to improve their special teams coverage and returns.

They're going to have to get better up front (a lot of teams will struggle against Baltimore's front seven; the Steelers still have offensive line issues, particularly to the right of left guard Alan Faneca).

They're going to have to cover better on the edges (assuming Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker, and Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark can actually be covered well enough to make a difference).

Yet those concerns will be minimized to an extent if Roethlisberger keeps pushing his game to previously unattained levels.

The Steelers drafted him to be a franchise quarterback, to stabilize the most important position on the field, to become that most critical of figures, a guy you can win with.

But did they draft him to be the equal of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?

And can Roethlisberger really become that someday, perhaps someday soon?

That wasn't a question worth considering.

Now, it's a compelling intangible heading into the second half of the season.

Brady and Manning have more experience, more expertise and more of a pedigree.

But what if the athleticism, accuracy and repeatedly lethal play-making Roethlisberger harnessed against Baltimore continues to be conjured up on a regular basis?

Could the balance of power in the conference potentially be altered?

First things first: The Steelers absolutely, positively need to beat Cleveland.

Should they achieve that, it'll be time to ponder not just the ramifications, but the possibilities.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_537243.html
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #44
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
I didnt like how Faneca react,by deciding to go publicly against the steelers management,but the more I see our O-Line playin the more I'm convinced that we need to get him signed.We can't afford to lose him our O-Line is so bad I can't even imagine what it would be without Fan
OK. Who do we cut to keep him? Not to mention that we're going to have to sign Ben to an extension (a huge one, I'm sure) in the near future as well? We'd be better off trying to retool the OL through the draft and FA, IMO.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #45
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Ben in the same sentence as Manning and Brady?
After last year being his worst year of his short career?
Well... All great QB's have bad times/seasons.. Even Brett Favre has had some down years, but I garentee you one thing... he is a 1st time ballot Hall of Famer and anyone who wouldnt vote him in the first time around,should lose his/her vote.
Do I think that Ben is equal to these guys?... He wins in different ways than either one of those QB's.. he is very mobile and can make throws on the run as well as or better than anyone else. YES... I say he is in the same class as the Manning's and Brady's...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #46
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

That was a great read; thanks for bringing it over.

Perhaps OT, but with 20 TD throws so far, Ben has moved from from 7th to 2nd in all-time Steelers passing TD ranks in one half season. According to my SI Anniversary issue, the stats were:

Bradshaw 212 1970-83
Stewart 70 1995-2002
O'Donnell 68 1990-1995
Layne 67 1958-62
Finks 55 1949-55
Malone 54 1980-87
Roethlisberger 52 2004-06

With 20 more added, Ben moves from 52 to 72, ahead of Stewart. Of course, he has a ways to go to catch up to TB with 212, but I found it fascinating that he moved from 7th to 2nd with half a season still to play, in his (incomplete) fourth year, over guys who have played for us much longer. And if Ben plays for us for his entire football career, it's conceivable he could surpass Terry. Is it because the Steelers just didn't pass much in years past (and I do know we are known for running the football) or is Ben just that good? Thoughts?
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote