Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Quentin Groves:

Just read the the Patriots had Groves in for a private work out. I can see them taking him with the 7th pick, and I don't see him lasting till their 2rd pick.

Just wondering if they may be going to try to trade down in the 1st round. To be safe they would have to still pick ahead of the Steelers. Maybe the cowboys if McFadden slides that far?
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514
Default Re: Quentin Groves:

Groves is a nice player, but we need pretty much the opposite of what he is. . he's a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. . we need someone who can be a 3-4 DE, we could also use a 3-4 ILB who can also play either SLB or MLB in the 4-3.

Not saying we're switching to a 4-3, but run some 4-3 packages now and then, sure. We're actually pretty decent as far as 4-3 Ends, though

To answer your question, no, the Patriots won't pick Groves with their 7th overall pick, and he won't be there for their second rounder. . I would absolutely hate to see them trade down, pick up more future first rounders, and end up with Groves to boot -- but it could happen.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Sorry, I was saying that I could NOT see them taking him with the 7th pick.

I do totally disagree that he would not be a good pick for the Steelers. He is a speed rusher with the size and strength to seal the end. He can play the run and drop into coverage if needed. If Albert is not there when we pick he would be the next player I would look at with the 23rd pick. We need a more consistent pass rush and with the 3-4 Woodley on one side and Groves would supply that. In fact anyone that was hoping for Jarvis Moss last year at 15 should love Groves at 23.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

who knows the patrriots could surprise...they took logan mankins with their 1st round when kiper had him rated as a late 2nd round...but yea i agree not with the 7th pick
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

ahhh the justice of cheating, losing your first round pick... even though you had that #7 salted away.

pretty boys.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Sorry, I was saying that I could NOT see them taking him with the 7th pick.

I do totally disagree that he would not be a good pick for the Steelers. He is a speed rusher with the size and strength to seal the end. He can play the run and drop into coverage if needed. If Albert is not there when we pick he would be the next player I would look at with the 23rd pick. We need a more consistent pass rush and with the 3-4 Woodley on one side and Groves would supply that. In fact anyone that was hoping for Jarvis Moss last year at 15 should love Groves at 23.
i agree. groves wouldn't be the worst pick we could make !!! expecially for insurance for a 30 year old woman beater. the steelers are only one slap away from needing another outside lber, not to mention we have no quality backups.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I say if albert is gone when we pick why not take a chance on groves.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Groves is who I actually want with the 1st pick. But the reality is it will probably be O-line.

Defense wins championships. The LBs are one of or the most important element in the 3-4 defense, you can never have enough. Getting Groves would be like getting another D-linemen, he would provide depth at LB, but would also bolster the pass rush on situational downs.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

I beleave that Albert will be the last O-lineman that would be worth the 23rd pick, and I just don't think he will make it that far. Groves, in my mind, makes perfect sence for the Steeler. I don't think they drafted Timmons as an inside backer, but it looks like that is what he may be best suited for, Groves would be the 1st round pick they thought they had last year. Plus he may be the BAP at that point.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

hes the best guard in the draft, we lost our best guard in faneca, whats the problem?