Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default The ridiculous stat about Ben throwing 30 times...

needs to end. I love how analysts manipulate statistics so much. If I remember correctly, it used to be a lower number than 30.

But the point I wanted to make is, when Ben throws less than 30 times and we win, it's because we have a lead (that Ben contributes to) and it's a game of possession (running the ball, eating clock) in the second half. It's not like the coaches are not allowing him to throw...

The stat they should mention is how Ben is 3rd in the league, percentage wise, in converting on 3rd down situations. This shows that he can effectively convert those situations in the second half when we unsuccessfully run the ball on 1st and 2nd down.

It's never going to happen though, because the Steelers are not media-darlings so Ben doesn't deserve any credit.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: The ridiculous stat about Ben throwing 30 times...

Yeah, I hope Ben throws for 40-50 390+yards and 4 TD's against the Pats in a few weeks.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
steelermuzik
Water Boy

Member Number: 5642

"Yeah, I hope Ben throws for 40-50 390+yards and 4 TD's against the Pats in a few weeks.".....and wins!!
steelermuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
needs to end. I love how analysts manipulate statistics so much. If I remember correctly, it used to be a lower number than 30.

:
here, this may make you feel better (lots of fun to be had with stats):

ben averages 1 td for every 10 attempts.

in 1 more game, brady has 100 more pass attempts than ben.

if ben had the 100 more pass attempts he would have 30 td's and be well on his way to breaking marino and mannings td records (without the help of moss, welker, or stallworth.)

put ben on the patriots and moss would no longer have to fight for every deep ball.

the "30 pass" stat is as bogus as the "willie rushing against great defenses" stat.

theyre bogus stats that are only ever applied to steelers players in discussions. you never hear those discussions with LJ or LT, just like people dont dissect every qb's stats when asked to throw 30 times a game.

the only stat that matters is ben has lost like 14 games in his 4 year career. (i think his lone playoff loss in his rookie season makes it 15).

about 18 months ago as a bloody ben was getting scraped up off the street, we all wondered if he would ever play again. and thats what really matters. any stats are gravy and ben definitely isnt going unnoticed this year. the majority are now looking beyond the stats and measurables and now taking into account all the intangibles too.

i think ben has been getting his just due. everybody knows the youngster can get it done. its only natural for the media to speculate if the romos and andersons can get it done, and what type of pace the mannings, bradys and favres can maintain.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

if ben had the 100 more pass attempts he would have 30 td's and be well on his way to breaking marino and mannings td records (without the help of moss, welker, or stallworth.)

put ben on the patriots and moss would no longer have to fight for every deep ball.

the "30 pass" stat is as bogus as the "willie rushing against great defenses" stat.

theyre bogus stats that are only ever applied to steelers players in discussions. you never hear those discussions with LJ or LT, just like people dont dissect every qb's stats when asked to throw 30 times a game.

the only stat that matters is ben has lost like 14 games in his 4 year career. (i think his lone playoff loss in his rookie season makes it 15).

about 18 months ago as a bloody ben was getting scraped up off the street, we all wondered if he would ever play again. and thats what really matters. any stats are gravy and ben definitely isnt going unnoticed this year. the majority are now looking beyond the stats and measurables and now taking into account all the intangibles too.

i think ben has been getting his just due. everybody knows the youngster can get it done. its only natural for the media to speculate if the romos and andersons can get it done, and what type of pace the mannings, bradys and favres can maintain.
good post
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
good post

GREAT post tony.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelermuzik View Post
"Yeah, I hope Ben throws for 40-50 390+yards and 4 TD's against the Pats in a few weeks.".....and wins!!
lol - i would love to see that, but I think if that is our strategy we have less of a chance to win. We need to keep that offense off the field and if Ben throws for 390, my guess, is that we aren't keeping that offense off the field.
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post

GREAT post tony.
magnificent post tony..........

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

I'm drinkin' the Hipchest "kool-aid ." Awesome observations, Tony.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Very good post Tony.....I was thinking the other day man I wish Ben had the time in the pocket that Brady enjoys and had a WR like Moss that he can just throw the ball up to for a TD....Don't get me wrong I really like the Steelers WRs especially Holmes...Plus I'm not the biggest Randy Moss fan either....I still think all Randy is good at is getting deep and out leaping DBs for the pigskin...I still think he sucks as a route runner and I rather have a warrior like Ward or Santo over him any day....But it still would be nice for Ben to have that tall WR that has serious leaping ability like Randy......

Plus all this non sense of Ben throwing 30 times is lame....He is averaging 26 attempts a game...I believe thats only 6 fewer attempts a game then Peyton Manning and Ben still has more TD passes then Peyton...lol But in Pittsburgh were all about wins more then stats.....So Ben will always have less attempts a game then most QBs in the game for the simple reason when the Steelers get the lead they run the ball to kill the clock and seal the win....

But we are finally seeing under Tomlin/Ariens if you give Ben more responsibility then he can handle it....Which is great and Ben is proving he is a franchise QB....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote