Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464
Default Holly still sore over Ward hit

I think they just mad cause Ward/Holmes hit harder than any of there defense

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/11...l?page=all&c=y

Holly still sore over Ward hit
Browns defender hopes to 'get' Steelers receiver

By Marla Ridenour Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Friday, Nov 09, 2007

BEREA: Daven Holly is glad he's got company on the list of Hines Ward's headhunting victims.

That doesn't make the Browns nickel back any less angry over the late hit the Steelers receiver delivered Sept. 9 that left Holly with a concussion and cost Ward a $5,000 fine.

''I'm looking to get every chance I can to compete and get him back,'' Holly said of Sunday's rematch at Heinz Field.

On Monday night, Holly watched as Ward lit up the Baltimore Ravens' Ed Reed and Bart Scott in Pittsburgh's 38-7 victory. Scott jumped up and laughed in Ward's face, while Reed had to sit out part of Wednesday's practice with what Ravens coach Brian Billick called ''a sensitivity to light.''

Ward was quoted afterward saying Scott threatened to kill him, which Scott confirmed to the Baltimore Sun this week.

''I threatened him,'' Scott told the Sun. ''If I see him again, I'm going to threaten him again.

''He took some shots that he didn't have to, and I'm not even
talking about my shot. I'm talking about the Ed Reed stuff. I was letting up because I thought (Willie Parker) was going to run out of bounds. I should've just went for the cheap shot and hit him out of bounds. Then I wouldn't have had to worry about getting blindsided. That's fine, though. He's out there in safe land as a receiver, but I'll get an opportunity one day.''

That's the same way Holly feels after Ward's hit caused him to miss the Sept. 19 game against Cincinnati. Ward issued an apology in the locker room, but not to Holly's face.

Holly thought the apology was half-hearted.

''I don't see how you can apologize for something like that. There's no need to apologize; just don't do it,'' Holly said Thursday. ''The whistle blew and he hit me. It was a hit that came kind of late. It seems like he does that. Last week he did it twice. That's what he does, goes for guys' heads when they're not paying attention.

''At least I know he wasn't just coming after me. At least I know that's part of his game and that's what he does. He even has (receiver) Santonio Holmes doing it a little bit. They're going to look to hit you after a play or when you're running to the ball, they try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. They've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us.''

A three-year veteran, Holly said he was looking down at the play when Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler in his 10th year, ''ear-holed me in my right ear.''

''He said he did it because people on our team were doing it,'' Holly said. ''I've never talked to him since the hit. I know Hines Ward a little bit, I've watched him over the years and he never came across as being dirty to me. But the hit was borderline.''

Former Browns safety Earl Little might beg to differ about Ward's reputation. In Pittsburgh's 15-12 overtime victory at Cleveland in 2001, Ward knocked out Little with a high block and a helmet to the chin. Ward stood over Little and taunted him, even though he was unconscious with a concussion.

Ward was fined $5,000 for taunting, but the league ruled the block was legal. A New York Times story reported there was talk among the Browns about an informal bounty on Ward for whoever could get a good hit on him.

Holly said he definitely will be on the lookout for Ward on Sunday.

''It changes the way you play,'' Holly said. ''You've got to have your eyes open, you've got to be ready and you always have got to look for him.''

Holly grew up in Clairton, Pa., watching the Steelers and understands the team's mentality.

''The Steelers play tough, hard-nosed football,'' Holly said. ''That's their motto.

''Sometimes you can mistake playing hard-nosed football for being dirty. I don't know how to say it, I don't think they're trying to be dirty. But sometimes when you're borderline playing hard-nosed, it's dirty. Sometimes you come across as being a dirty football team.''
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts
Default Re: Holly still sore over Ward hit

Another crybaby - this time from the league's worst pass defense. It's football, not croquet!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Ward seems to be making a few new enemies.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Oh, Boo-friggin-hoo!

There's no crying in football!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

[YOUTUBE]hrq7VCg5POw[/YOUTUBE]

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The only thing this bumb will be sore over on monday are the numerous hits he's going to take while our recievers are busy blocking his sorry butt down field.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I love it, sounds like this guy is going to be more worried about Ward than doing his job.

And, and, and he hit hit me when I wasn't looking. And, and ,and now I have a boo boo. waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

The best is Bart Scott crying about an "unnecessary hit" when he had his head down..... Hey Bart, pay attention or people will hit you when you're not looking. I guess you think you're the only one allowed to clock somebody when there not looking??? What a freakin crybaby
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
''At least I know he wasn't just coming after me. At least I know that's part of his game and that's what he does. He even has (receiver) Santonio Holmes doing it a little bit.
Good, Holmes is learning to be a good blocking receiver

Quote:
They're going to look to hit you after a play or when you're running to the ball, they try to get a whole bunch of cleanup shots. They've got to understand they're on offense and we're on defense, so I'm sure we can get them a lot more than they can get us.''
Wow, that is a big crybaby statment, if you on D then defend against them, they made legal blocks, if you don't like that then get out of the league.

Last edited by Borski; 11-09-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Borski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

all of these idiots need to leave the nfl and play flag football...I remember Ward got layed out and he complimented the guy on the hit. Ben got layed out and complimented Bart on the hit. These crybabies are clearly sore losers and highly insecure
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

That hit on Holly was a little late but I'm almost positive the whistle did not blow yet

Ward's hits on the pu$$y Raisins were all clean
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote