Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Should Dog The Bounty Hunter Be Canceled?

While I don't agree with anyone using the "N" word to refer to an African American person, I feel that the actions of Duane Chapman in using the "N" word in a private conversation has been tremendously exaggerated. A & E has canceled his long-running show "Dog The Bounty Hunter" because of outrage express by the African American community.

I watched Dr. Phil (as usual - LOL!) this afternoon and he addressed this issue with several leaders of the AA community (the racist Al Sharpton being one), as well as rapper Master P and an AA attorney who practices in the area of civil rights. The reverened that was a guest host on the show (can't recall his name), Al Sharpton (I refuse to address him as a reverend) and the attorney all agreed that "serious action" should be taken against Mr. Chapman, even going beyond canceling his TV series. When Dr. Phil mentioned to rapper Master P. that many of his rap tunes contain the "N" word, MP didn't really have a whole helluva lot to say. Another AA gentleman on the guest panel stated that he felt the situation had been blown way out of proportion and stated that a person's PRIVATE telephone conversation should not be under scrutiny by anyone.

Racism is prevalent in today's society, unfortunately, but it doesn't just apply to one race. I'd love to ask Mr. Sharpton and that attorney face to face if they've ever uttered a racial slur. I think I know what the answer would be.

Thoughts?

Chapman Apologizes for Using Racial Slur
'Dog' Chapman Suspended for Racial Slur

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Duane "Dog" Chapman says he can be taught new tricks - and one of them is never to use the "N-word" again.

Chapman, 54, has apologized to blacks and to all Americans for repeatedly using the racial slur during a March phone call to his son, Tucker, urging him to break up with a black girlfriend. The recent Web release of the recorded conversation by The National Enquirer led the A&E television network to put Chapman's reality show indefinitely on hold.

Chapman, who had issued a written apology, followed it up in his first interview since the scandal broke by remarking: "Never again. This dog learns."

In the interview with Sean Hannity for Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" show Tuesday, Chapman denied being a racist and said he used the N-word conversationally when talking to black acquaintances.

"I thought that I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother," he said. "I'm not. I didn't know really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people."

"I now learned I'm not black at all," Chapman said. "And I never did it out of hate."

"All black people in America I owe an apology to," Chapman said in the interview. "Whether, how dark I think I am, I cannot say that word. I owe the rest of the people, whether they are black or not in America, an apology because people look up to me."

"If I could kill myself and people would forgive me, I would do that," he said.

Chapman also specifically apologized to his son's girlfriend, Monique Shinnery. But Shinnery told the Enquirer that Chapman's attorney, not the TV star, called with an apology.

Chapman also said he is making a deal to be buried at a historic slave burial ground near George Washington's Mount Vernon home.

"I want to be buried right where they're at because I will never be forgiven as (long as) I'm alive," Chapman said.

Chapman appeared Wednesday night on CNN's "Larry King Live." He told King he had used the N-word not because of Shinnery's race, but to make a point with his son, who had served time for robbery.

"I referenced it, the only word I know, that would hurt his feelings or catch his attention very fast - never as a prejudicial or racial slur or anything like that," Chapman said.

The Honolulu-based bounty hunter first grabbed headlines when he captured serial rapist and Max Factor heir Andrew Luster in Mexico in 2003.

His TV series, "Dog the Bounty Hunter," followed him and his tattooed crew as they tracked down bail jumpers. The show starred some members of Chapman's family, but Tucker Chapman was not regularly featured.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,824 Posts
Default Re: Should Dog The Bounty Hunter Be Canceled?

wow !!! get the hip wadders out, cause dog sure is pilin it pretty deep ....

Quote:
"I thought that I was cool enough in the black world to be able to use that word as a brother to a brother," he said. "I'm not. I didn't know really know until three or four days ago what that meant to black people."
Quote:
"I now learned I'm not black at all,"
Quote:
"If I could kill myself and people would forgive me, I would do that," he said.
Quote:
Chapman also said he is making a deal to be buried at a historic slave burial ground near George Washington's Mount Vernon home.

"I want to be buried right where they're at because I will never be forgiven as (long as) I'm alive," Chapman said.

if he thinks anyone is believing this BS, he's even more retarded in real life than he is on his lame ass show...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Dog is a bit odd, most definitely, and I don't watch his show very often, but I think the action taken and the reaction from the AA community is way overboard. It seems the only time you hear about racist remarks is when it is a Caucasian making the remark directed towards an African American. Racism is an ugly two-headed monster, unfortunately.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

If a white person calls a black person the N-word or any other race-related slur, he/she is a racist biggot.

If a black person calls a white person a racial slur, the black community has no problem with it.

Unfortunatly, that's how it is in this world. And Al Sharpton is one of the biggest criminals when it comes to this.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Although I hate this idiots show and what he said was wrong, it was in a private conversation. he should not be penalized for what he says in private.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think it's funny that the black community on dr. phil and stuff talking about.. i think they are just blowing the whole situation out of proportion... there worried about 1 white person saying it and then apologizing but they don't care about black ppl saying evry other word evry time they turn the corner...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

LOL, yeah. But that's got nothing to do with the rant.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

I grew up in a black area of town, I never heard of a African-American then. Back then I was a sand-N and they were plain N. Now I am still a Sand-N and they are African-American. I am sorry, but I hear them call each other N all the time, but let me say it and I am a racist? yet they call me a Sand-N and they are not? Get off the boat people it is a two way street. If it is good for one it is good for the other. Sharpton is the biggest bigot along with Louis Farrakhan that I know. They grab any head line they can to promote their own agenda. I remember a certain girl who they were saying was raped by 6 white police men. do you remember her name? Tawana Brawley that help.

I also remember just recently Don Imus was accused by the same people of the same thing, funny how it works, they can use the term, but whites can not.
they can have a Black Miss America contest, but try to have a White Miss America Contest. They have the Black Caucus in congress, how about a White Caucus? How far would that fly? But we are the racist???

Why don't I get it? Am I that stupid? Why am I a racist and they are not?

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?

Last edited by TroysBadDawg; 11-09-2007 at 11:06 PM.
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

While I don't think the same rules apply for everyone, I think what he said was wrong. However, I would hazard to guess there are few of us who have talked to close family/friends in confidence, who haven't said something that would make us look like an a$$ if taped and leaked to the press. He who is at fault...

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

He is wrong for his word usage in my opinion.. but this is still the USA right?... US has changed all the rights around so much, so I guess you better just plead the 5th on everything or else someone will have their feelings hurt and then you get sued...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote