Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,305 Posts
Default Up-and-Comers in the 1st Half of 2007

i know, its a gil brandt article and im sure sooooo many people hate him but they dont call him the "godfather" for nothing, and theres a reason he has "forgotten more football than [insert any name here] knows"....

(well, perhaps besides mike tomlin )

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true
Quote:
The first half of 2007 has brought surprises, disappointments, fantastic finishes, record-breaking performances and lots more. One thing that is a constant midway through any NFL season: A handful of young players will emerge as the stars of tomorrow.

Some of the players highlighted here are already somewhat established. Some of them may have been to a Pro Bowl already. But most of these players are not household names and most of them have never been to the Pro Bowl -- though they may be playing at a level deserving of such recognition. One thing they all have in common: All are age 26 or younger -- meaning they should be fixtures in the NFL for years to come.
brandt lists about 29 players. heres 5 (1/6th) of them-

Quote:
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh: It's hard to call a Super Bowl-winning quarterback an "up-and-comer," but Roethlisberger continues to improve his game. He has a very easy throwing motion with very good arm strength. He has good intermediate and deep passing accuracy when given time, and he has deceptive running ability for a big quarterback. Roethlisberger improvises to create plays and is very difficult to bring down.

Wide Receivers
Santonio Holmes, Pittsburgh: Holmes possesses excellent speed and quickness with outstanding run-after-catch ability. He'll make plays across the middle, has solid hands, will block, and can return kicks.

Tight Ends
Heath Miller, Pittsburgh: Miller is a classic two-way tight end -- a good blocker and a pass-catcher. He lines up on the line and in the backfield and has the ability to block defensive ends. As a pass-catcher, he has good ability to adjust to the ball. Miller is a serious threat in the seam, and has five touchdown receptions through eight games

Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh: Clark has a physical presence about him and interchangeable skills -- he will come up and play the run, is a solid tackler and has the ability to maintain deep pass coverage over the top. He is also a very good special teams player.

Punter
Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh: A rookie who has averaged almost 45 yards per punt. Sepulveda is adept at placing a spin on the ball so that it will bounce back when it lands inside the 10, thus avoiding touchbacks and giving the Steelers' defense an edge in the field position battle.
it a shame he couldnt mention parker, taylor, anthony smith, j. harrison etc....

what is the bigger shame is having to make the choice between r. clark and his now bargain basement price of 2 mil/yr or extending anthony smith beyond his rookie contract.

chris hope (along w/ k. bullock) is the lynch pin of the titans defense. he got the bank. the steelers will have work to keep 1 of their free safeties at market price. the other safety will cash in too...
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Up-and-Comers in the 1st Half of 2007

I like Gil Brandt....He was at one time a very good NFL scout....So I always like to read what he has to say....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

wow i had noo idea that this many steelers players were getting noticed.... i think they should have a / next to ryan clark's name with anthony smith... they play the same position and are basically interchangable AND both are amazing and love to hit!
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
wow i had noo idea that this many steelers players were getting noticed.... i think they should have a / next to ryan clark's name with anthony smith... they play the same position and are basically interchangable AND both are amazing and love to hit!
They are all young... man isn't that nice.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

woodley would probably be on there too if harrison and haggans werent so good.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,369 Times in 4,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
I like Gil Brandt....He was at one time a very good NFL scout....So I always like to read what he has to say....
Quote:
As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.
hes definitely credible. sure hes old (still sharp as a tack) and a cowboys homer. regardless of that, for all those steelers players to be recognized on a short list, is definitely proof of respect coming from those trully "in the know" (and im not talking about dan patrick)
Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
They are all young... man isn't that nice.
In the pre-free agency days that unequivocally would be yes.

But as T.H. points out, young talent means lots of break the bank contracts that will be upcoming for players in their mid to late 20s. Choosing between Clark and Smith at safety (I like Clark's stability but IMO with Smith's explosiveness that choice probably has been made) will be one of several upcoming compromises regarding what talent to keep - I doubt Faneca will be the only player who will be taking his services elsewhere.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
woodley would probably be on there too if harrison and haggans werent so good.
As Coach Tomlin says, "Iron sharpens iron".
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote