Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts
Default Ejections Coming For Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3103608

This of course is yet another policy intended to protect QBs. To get someone thrown out of a game it better be real blatant or I see yet another way for the league to assure it gets the Colts-Pats rematch it wants by ejecting opposing teams' defenders in the playoffs.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Re: Ejections Coming For Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3103608

This of course is yet another policy intended to protect QBs. To get someone thrown out of a game it better be real blatant or I see yet another way for the league to assure it gets the Colts-Pats rematch it wants by ejecting opposing teams' defenders in the playoffs.
WOW

This has potential to really influence some games. I hope you're right Dan and that it would take a hell of a hit to give someone the boot for this.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,804 Posts

and we have one more step towards flag football....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
This of course is yet another policy intended to protect QBs
or another way for the league to protect pretty boy Brady
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams.
nice stunt to wait for the patriots bye week. maybe the nfl figured they needed the extra week to figure out the correct interpretation of the memo.

this sucks cause in basketball you can "draw a foul" all the time. i think players will learn to "draw a foul" in this instance and take a shot to the head to get a player flagged and ejected.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Does this include cheap-shots on QB's?????????

I hope so
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I don't advocate deliberate helmet to helmet hits, but sometimes it is as a result of finishing the tackle and not intended to injure. I can hear Fairy Tom whining to the officials already when a defender even looks at his helmet.

NFL - National Fruitcake League

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Remember last year against the Falcons when Ben received that blow to the head that resulted in another concussion?....A flag wasn't even thrown on that one....

As for this new role.....I agree you need to look out for head hunters....But as others have mentioned sometimes contact to the helmet can't be avoided......So really officials need to see if the contact was accidental before throwing a defensive player out of the game.....

I also agree that Brady will be looking for a way to abuse the rule so he can be the little puss like he always is...The guy is a great QB but he is a puss...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Remember last year against the Falcons when Ben received that blow to the head that resulted in another concussion?....A flag wasn't even thrown on that one....

As for this new role.....I agree you need to look out for head hunters....But as others have mentioned sometimes contact to the helmet can't be avoided......So really officials need to see if the contact was accidental before throwing a defensive player out of the game.....

I also agree that Brady will be looking for a way to abuse the rule so he can be the little puss like he always is...The guy is a great QB but he is a puss...lol
I agree... matter of fact, I would like for instant replay to be used for that call... instead of just calling it on the spot.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I agree... matter of fact, I would like for instant replay to be used for that call... instead of just calling it on the spot.
i don't know preach.....it's a " judgement " call, so i'm against it. look at how often there wrong on pass interference, but yet they won't go to the booth for those calls.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote