Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,623 Posts
Default Re: Ejections Coming For Helmet-to-Helmet Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Just remove the threat of ejection totally. No more ejections for anything!
Just saying wait until the next game - Ed.B. of the P-G says Dan Rooney appears to agree

Just talked to Dan Rooney in the press box and we agree, that a new directive by the NFL to eject players from the game if they are judged to have hit helmet to helmet can be dangerous.

What happens if the officials toss a guy because they believe it's a helmet hit and replays show it actually wasn't? Officials long have been reluctant to eject players from football games, rightfully so. A season is only 16 games long; missing one is like a baseball player missing 10 games.

Now that you have the NFL encouraging officials to eject players, where will they stop?

What's wrong with reviewing a play on Monday and deciding then whether it was a blatant helmet hit? If it is, fine the player and suspend him for a game. At least then, you'd be sure.

http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #32
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Just saying wait until the next game - Ed.B. of the P-G says Dan Rooney appears to agree

Just talked to Dan Rooney in the press box and we agree, that a new directive by the NFL to eject players from the game if they are judged to have hit helmet to helmet can be dangerous.

What happens if the officials toss a guy because they believe it's a helmet hit and replays show it actually wasn't? Officials long have been reluctant to eject players from football games, rightfully so. A season is only 16 games long; missing one is like a baseball player missing 10 games.

Now that you have the NFL encouraging officials to eject players, where will they stop?

What's wrong with reviewing a play on Monday and deciding then whether it was a blatant helmet hit? If it is, fine the player and suspend him for a game. At least then, you'd be sure.

http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/
Because you take away the element of fear. Now a guy will go ahead and do a helmet to helmet if he thinks it can help his team win a big game.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #33
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i wish they'd kinda let someone play i say the give a guy two chances like if he knocks the snot out of one guy and it's totally illegal give him one more chance until u kick him out of the game
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #34
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i wish they'd kinda let someone play i say the give a guy two chances like if he knocks the snot out of one guy and it's totally illegal give him one more chance until u kick him out of the game
Have any of you actually been the victim of one of these hits?

I have. They're damned dangerous. Most of these flagrant hits come when the player on the recieving end of the hit is partially defenseless. It can cause you a ton of problems. The worst part is that there are a lot of defensive coaches and players who actually think these hits are "just part of the game" and we should stop complaining so much about them.

My answer to that is simple, let me hit you in the head with a baseball bat when you're not looking and we'll see if your opinion changes.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #35
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Because you take away the element of fear. Now a guy will go ahead and do a helmet to helmet if he thinks it can help his team win a big game.
We will agree to disagree - vigilante justice is wrong whether administered by players or officials - as Ed.B. notes, a ref may feel pressured if he does not eject the player - why not instant ejections on clips and blows below the knees? - concussions are very serious business, but more careers are cut short by leg injuries.

Your argument that anyone opposing instant ejections is pro-shots to the head is a red herring.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #36
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
We will agree to disagree - vigilante justice is wrong whether administered by players or officials - as Ed.B. notes, a ref may feel pressured if he does not eject the player - why not instant ejections on clips and blows below the knees? - concussions are very serious business, but more careers are cut short by leg injuries.

Your argument that anyone opposing instant ejections is pro-shots to the head is a red herring.
Not so. I simply question your dedication to preventing head injuries.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #37
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Not so. I simply question your dedication to preventing head injuries.
Sorry I do not meet your standards of being sufficiently opposed to head trauma.

What do I need to do - come out for lifetime bans? The fact that Dan Rooney and Cowher apparently share my view would appear to indicate those who know far more about the game than either of us have concerns about this PR move.

I do not know how long you have been posting here - I provided links on this board over a year ago to NY Times stories on the long term impact of concussions (Andre Waters) and the decision in the Fourth Circuit Court Appeals that rejected the NFL//NFLPA appeal that vigorously fought an award of disability benefits to Mike Webster's family for Webster having suffered game related head trauma. In addition, during the week prior to the Raiders game last year I posted repeatedly that Cowher should sit Ben and, several weeks later, that Troy should sit after he suffered brain trauma in the Saints game.

This is typical league office PR - they are terrified of doing anything that costs them real $$ or exposure to potential long term liability by admitting better helmets should be considered, players should be required to receive independent medical clearance prior to returning to play after a concussion, or the long term consequences of repeated head trauma to all players (please walk me through how this new policy could have helped Webster or Waters). Instead, the league is glad to engage in a cheap PR stunt by pretending the problem can be significantly mitigated by having refs decide not only whether a blow is a penalty but whether it is sufficiently egregious to require ejection for the limited purpose of protecting, at best, the QB position.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #38
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
I don't advocate deliberate helmet to helmet hits, but sometimes it is as a result of finishing the tackle and not intended to injure.
Yep.

Quote:
Agree... matter of fact, I would like for instant replay to be used for that call... instead of just calling it on the spot
Yep, to me it is that important as well.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote