Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Roethlisberger proves worthy of 'Terrific Three'

Monday, November 12, 2007
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In the humble opinion of Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel, the time has come for pro football observers to expand the list of the Big Two NFL quarterbacks and make it the Terrific Three.

"All I ever hear about is how good Tom Brady is and how good Peyton Manning is," The Diesel said yesterday. "Well, we've got a guy here in Pittsburgh who knows how to play the game. He just keeps making plays and winning games for us. He's a big-time player who deserves big-time respect."

Here, here.

I second that motion.

There were at least 190 reasons why the Steelers should have lost to the Cleveland Browns -- 190 being the total yardage on what should have been two deadly kickoff returns by the Browns' Joshua Cribbs -- but Ben Roethlisberger would have none of it. He willed this 31-28 win that left the Steelers firmly in charge of the AFC North Division.

Brady couldn't have done it better.

Manning couldn't, either.

"I talk about 'em, too," Big Ben said when asked about the league-wide chatter about Brady and Manning.

OK, let's rephrase the question:

Would you like to be mentioned in the same breath?

"Maybe some day, if I think I'm on that level," Big Ben said. "But that's OK. Let those guys be talked about. I'd rather talk about the Steelers."

Is it any wonder the man is so respected in his locker room?

"I'd like to give all the credit to my offensive linemen," Roethlisberger said. "The receivers got open and made plays for me. The running backs ran hard ..."

If Roethlisberger hadn't been interrupted by the next question, he surely would have mentioned coach Mike Tomlin, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson, the training staff, the equipment staff, Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II and the entire secretarial pool.

That humility is admirable, but it doesn't change the fact Roethlisberger took control of this game in the second half and won it.

You know, sort of like he did in the win against the Baltimore Ravens last Monday night when he threw five touchdown passes and had a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

That Roethlisberger did it again with his arm came as no surprise. His three touchdown passes gave him 23 for the season, 10 fewer than the great Brady who is on a record pace but nine more than Manning had going into the Indianapolis Colts' game at San Diego last night. Forget Brady and Manning; Terry Bradshaw couldn't throw a better pass than the 2-yard dart Roethlisberger threw to tight end Heath Miller for the winning touchdown. Miller had linebacker Leon Williams draped on him but somehow ended up with the ball.

Four times, the Steelers converted third-and-long plays thanks to Roethlisberger passes. On the winning drive, he found wide receiver Santonio Holmes for 18 yards on third-and-6 and, more impressively, Miller for 20 yards on third-and-18. He finished with a 99.9 passer rating that would have been much higher if not for a second-quarter interception that resulted from his miscommunication with Holmes. His 110.2 passer rating for the season is second only to Brady's sick 131.8.

You bet it has become the Terrific Three.

But a passer rating doesn't fully reflect a quarterback's impact because it doesn't measure his scrambling ability. Big Ben, fully aware the Browns were playing a lot of two-deep zone that left the running lanes open, killed 'em with his runs. Would you believe a 9-yard scramble on third-and-8 on a second-quarter field-goal drive? How about a phenomenal 30-yard touchdown run on a third-and-10 play to give the Steelers a 24-21 lead in the fourth quarter? As if that weren't enough, how about a 10-yard burst on third-and-9 on the winning drive?

It's that touchdown run that will have the fellas howling when they review the tape today.

"It seemed like he was so slow like, you know, sand in an hour glass," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "I could see from the grin on his face that he was determined to get to the end zone, but it took him long enough."

The play started when Roethlisberger stepped up in the pocket and heard guard Alan Faneca scream, "Go! Go! Go!" It continued when he fooled safety Brodney Pool by not sliding down and rumbling past him. And it ended with him diving into the end zone and then into the big ol' arms of jubilant Steelers guard Kendall Simmons before the rest of their teammates piled on.

"Those plays are where he becomes special," Miller said.

"Those plays," Keisel said, "just destroy a defense."

Keisel knows from experience.

He also knows quarterbacks.

"Our guy," he said, "is right there with anybody in the league."

I'll second that, too.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212
Default Re: Roethlisberger proves worthy of 'Terrific Three'

I've enjoyed reading all of these articles that have been brought over, but I especially like this one! Thank you, lamberts-lost-tooth, for bringing them over for us all to read. I for one appreciate it very much.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
I've enjoyed reading all of these articles that have been brought over, but I especially like this one!

Very much appreciated!

Nice article!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

"Maybe some day, if I think I'm on that level," Big Ben said. "But that's OK. Let those guys be talked about. I'd rather talk about the Steelers."
Hey Ben,

Check your number of rings. Then check Peyton's.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,985 Posts

great read. i was most impressed with this from bens post game quotes-

Quote:
great maturity and leadership. he is the 5th most sacked qb in the nfl.

he is 27 for 40 and a 118 rating when throwing while under contact from a defender. (the rest of the league averages 50 something)....

he bails them out, left and right, yet he constantly praises them and gives them all the credit as if they are the best.

it definitely doesnt seem like any of his teammates dont like him now.

ben will break the bank, and i think will have earned every penny. i wont call him a bradshaw, favre, or elway, but if we wanna go in that direction, he is probably as close as were gonna get for a while.

otherwise we can always look for a kordell/vick type or settle for a grossman or pennington.

i dont see how ben goes into '08 without a contract extension in place.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
"All I ever hear about is how good Tom Brady is and how good Peyton Manning is," The Diesel said yesterday. "Well, we've got a guy here in Pittsburgh who knows how to play the game. He just keeps making plays and winning games for us. He's a big-time player who deserves big-time respect."
Couldn't have said it better myself Diesel. Great read, LLT - thanks!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Fantastic read! Thanks for sharing. Big Ben is a very special person. I'm glad he wears Black and Gold.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

Great article!! Ben is such an amazing person on and off the field and I couldn't imagine a better place for Ben than Pittsburgh

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveben7 View Post
Great article!! Ben is such an amazing person on and off the field and I couldn't imagine a better place for Ben than Pittsburgh
I think the big issue beyond all of this... is that Pittsburgh (the city) is starting to rub off on Ben. Hard, blue-collar work ethic. Reaching deep to do what needs to be done.

He is becoming an embodiment of the city and the fans... and that is maturity.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Yesterday proves it. Ben was able to bring his team back to win, Manning couldn't.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote