Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212
Default Icarus of Pittsburgh

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a mini-documentary called "Icarus of Pittsburgh". It was about this guy whose father loved the Steelers and died the same day Terry Bradshaw was drafted, so he (the father) never got to see the Steelers' glory years. Apparently on the day of the AFC Championship, he decided to fly up to heaven to tell his daddy about how well the Steelers were doing (supposedly TB gave him a "sign" by scratching his rear end during a certain play). He put on two wet suits - one skin tight and another, much larger, one, and filled up the space in between with helium, and actually floated up quite a ways before crashing into a bridge and messing up his face quite badly. He looks fine now, but is nutty as a fruitcake, IMO. I think they had footage of him flying about, though I couldn't tell for sure if it was really him or some weird animation - his elbows and knees and such looked so pinched together, like some superhero on a kid's program. It was all very strange.

My point (yes, finally, and I do have one) - does anybody remember this? Did anybody here actually see him floating around? What was the reaction at the time? I can't seem to get this nutbar out of my mind.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Icarus of Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a mini-documentary called "Icarus of Pittsburgh". It was about this guy whose father loved the Steelers and died the same day Terry Bradshaw was drafted, so he (the father) never got to see the Steelers' glory years. Apparently on the day of the AFC Championship, he decided to fly up to heaven to tell his daddy about how well the Steelers were doing (supposedly TB gave him a "sign" by scratching his rear end during a certain play). He put on two wet suits - one skin tight and another, much larger, one, and filled up the space in between with helium, and actually floated up quite a ways before crashing into a bridge and messing up his face quite badly. He looks fine now, but is nutty as a fruitcake, IMO. I think they had footage of him flying about, though I couldn't tell for sure if it was really him or some weird animation - his elbows and knees and such looked so pinched together, like some superhero on a kid's program. It was all very strange.

My point (yes, finally, and I do have one) - does anybody remember this? Did anybody here actually see him floating around? What was the reaction at the time? I can't seem to get this nutbar out of my mind.
Is that even possible, I think you would need ALOT more helium then that to lift a person. just look at how big blimps are and they only carry like 5 or so people
Old 11-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

That's what he said. There was footage of him crashing into the bridge and a newspaper photograph showing the damage to his face. It also said that Swann and Bradshaw visited him in the hospital afterwards, and he was called "the biggest Steelers fan" which made him all upset as it was not about him but about his father. Like I said, it's all very weird. Does no one remember this at all?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

I want to say this movie was a "mocumentary"----a fake documentary, kinda like "Spinal Tap" or "Best in Show" . . . I don't know that for sure, but thats the impression I get. If anyone knows better, please let me know.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Okay, I finally thought to Google "Icarus of Pittsburgh" and it does seem to be a spoof (which actually makes more sense than anything else). I thought it was too outlandish to be real, but they were so thorough and had so many detials that I did wonder a bit. Hee. Call me an idiot. If anybody is interested in seeing it, here are a couple of links - hopefully they will work:

http://www.evanmather.com/html/icarus.html#

http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film/icarus.jsp