Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts
Default Steelers' Faneca fights off hard feelings

Trib-Review has a very complimentary article on Faneca, although I do not have a clue what games the writer has been watching as the basis for this statement:

[T]he six-time Pro Bowler may be having his best season yet.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_538027.html

If Faneca is having his best season yet then he must be covering for shabby play by the rest of the line.

It is too bad Faneca will be leaving, but IMO the Steelers cannot meet his price and re-sign the young impact players (not just Ben )who have contracts coming up over the next several years.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Steelers' Faneca fights off hard feelings

Well if Faneca is having his best year ever, then why sometimes Ben gets sacked by guys who run right by faneca because he did not pick them up. O Line is very disappointing this season so far. Ben is on pace to get sacked around 40 times. Ben is on the run every game.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think part of it is a change in blocking scheme, but, yeah, I've seen a lot of plays where Alan whiffed this year. He didn't have a super great year last year, either. I've seen a lot of problems in his game lately, but it's still not very popular to call him out.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I agree with rev; it's the calling out of assignments. Guys are setting up where rushers aren't.

I believe Faneca IS an impact player. If it were my team I'd strongly look to see how to stretch the budget to fit him in along with the other guys we need. Realistically I don't see it, but I can only hope.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703

I think Faneca is handling the situation like a true professional. It kills me that there is really no way we can keep him. Anyone who thinks his absence will not have a HUGE impact on our offense next year is delusional. Even if we draft a hoss in the 1st round, it's going to take a couple of years to get even close to the level that Faneca plays at. Mark my words........there are dark days ahead for this team if we do not get aggressive next off season to remedy this developing situation.

We can have the best skill players in the NFL and we will not be .500 without a good line. I think they are playing well enough this year to keep us going but they are not dominating people like we are accustomed to seeing. Take Faneca out of that mix and it gets ugly quick. The Rooneys have proven time and again that they see things a little more clearly than the rest of us and I'm sure they have a plan. They are also human and are capable of mistakes. Not finding a way to keep Faneca around if only for a couple more years, has the potential to be a big one.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I agree with rev; it's the calling out of assignments. Guys are setting up where rushers aren't.

I believe Faneca IS an impact player. If it were my team I'd strongly look to see how to stretch the budget to fit him in along with the other guys we need. Realistically I don't see it, but I can only hope.
Isn't Ben supposed to be calling out the assignments this year (which I recall used to be Harting's responsibiity)?

IMO if Faneca had not been grieving for Grimm something might have been worked out last spring; unfortunately Faneca then went ballistic during mini-camp and $$ that could have signed Faneca have now been spent on Simmons since the Steelers were going to re-sign someone on the OL (which was not going to be Starks) this past summer
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Yeah, BR is calling the blocks.

Simmons. I don't get it. But I'm willing to understand that my knowledge of offensive line play is limited to a couple hours watching games on Sunday. His perceived failure could be anything, all we see is guys around BR.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Yeah, BR is calling the blocks.

Simmons. I don't get it. But I'm willing to understand that my knowledge of offensive line play is limited to a couple hours watching games on Sunday. His perceived failure could be anything, all we see is guys around BR.
Very true...

It seems that our O line can only lock up on one guy... and not even impede a second.

On another note...

However, I wouldn't blame Ben all that much... How many holes have you seen our O line open up for the running game. That is just sheer brute force on established blocking schemes.

This falls back to the oline, which has been a problem for a while now. And no, I am not as impressed with fanaca as some are. However, I would have no problem signing him... FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. Sadly, we are well beyond reasonable.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
oldschool
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5139

I appreciate the attitude and the work ethic Alan brings every week, he has done a 180 since I posted "the open letter", back in May. Some how we need to resign him, I don't even want to think what our O line would be without him.

We also need to draft a linemen in the early rounds nexy spring.

"Medical expertise does not necessarily tell about the will of a man.".....Mike Tomlin
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

idk u still gotta give him credit for the 7+ years he's worked his ass off for us.. HOF in my opinion no question
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote