Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default The Steelers need one beast at wide receiver

sure, the o-line is not that great and we run the ball way too much on 1st and 2nd down; however, this team is not that talented. I see us as a 10-6 or maybe 11-5 ball club but nothing special this season. Does anyone know if there's going to be any big time receivers in FA? Roy Williams, Andre Johnson? I know the Rooney(s) don't normally sign players from other teams, but I think this is time to consider the option.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890
Default Re: The Steelers need one beast at wide receiver

There are some good tall WR's coming out that will be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
There are some good tall WR's coming out that will be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
please, no more projects that we cut after preseason. we need someone who is currently playing in the league right now that demands a double team. No team we play is scared of our wide receivers, thus they boldly play 8 in a box against our run.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

The Steelers are NOT going to go out and blow big money on a FA WR, so please put that thought out of your head. Did you seem to forget that we have someone named Ben Roethlisberger that we need to re-sign, and that he is going to command big money? They will also (hopefully) spend some money to revamp the OL. On top of that, in a couple of years we will need to start thinking about re-signing Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes to extensions. Putting a lot of money into a FA WR isn't going to help that process.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Holmes is becoming top wide out in this league fast and Ward may be a tad overratted but he gets the job done on the other side. Jeez, this team falls into one trap game and people think it's the end of the world... Losing to the Jets doesn't suddenly make our need for a big wide out grow. Holmes was out a good portion of the game last night, maybe that is what you were missing.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Holmes is becoming top wide out in this league fast and Ward may be a tad overratted but he gets the job done on the other side. Jeez, this team falls into one trap game and people think it's the end of the world... Losing to the Jets doesn't suddenly make our need for a big wide out grow. Holmes was out a good portion of the game last night, maybe that is what you were missing.
I don't believe it was a trap game. We are not that good bottomline. Our philosophy of being a run team 1st is killing us against bad teams. I watched the game over this morning and I noticed how productive we were at passing the ball on 1st down. But once we got into the Jet territory, we went right back into run, run, and then pass. This resulted into multiple 3rd and longs, sacks, and fg(s). No time during the game did we consistenlty threw on 1st down. Once we picked up big yardage it was back to run, run, and then pass.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58 View Post
sure, the o-line is not that great and we run the ball way too much on 1st and 2nd down; however, this team is not that talented. I see us as a 10-6 or maybe 11-5 ball club but nothing special this season. Does anyone know if there's going to be any big time receivers in FA? Roy Williams, Andre Johnson? I know the Rooney(s) don't normally sign players from other teams, but I think this is time to consider the option.
Here's a list of most of the 2008 free agent wide receivers. Not a whole lot there outside of Bernard Berrian...of course there's always Randy Moss if the Pats don't resign him.

Bernard Berrian, UFA, Chicago Bears
Patrick Crayton, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Drew Carter, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals
Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers
Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints
Devery Henderson UFA New Orleans Saints
Andre' Davis UFA Houston Texans
Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers
Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders
Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans
D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks
Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Miami Dolphins
Taylor Jacobs UFA Washington Redskins
Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans
Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs
David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints
Marcus Robinson UFA Detroit Lions
Brandon Stokley UFA Denver Broncos
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58 View Post
I don't believe it was a trap game. We are not that good bottomline. Our philosophy of being a run team 1st is killing us against bad teams. I watched the game over this morning and I noticed how productive we were at passing the ball on 1st down. But once we got into the Jet territory, we went right back into run, run, and then pass. This resulted into multiple 3rd and longs, sacks, and fg(s). No time during the game did we consistenlty threw on 1st down. Once we picked up big yardage it was back to run, run, and then pass.
Anyone consider that the Jets are better than 1-8? They've lost many close games, they have an intelligent coach (from the Belicheat school---not suggest there was actually any cheating). They had a great and "gutsy" game plan. They were a playoff team last year. Record is not always indicative of talent. When we were 2-6 last year, were we really a 2-6 team, then???

Also, I find ironic your comment that being a "run first" team is killing us. We were playing the worst rushing defense in the league ---and the last time we were playing the worst rushing defense team (Denver) the coaches got bombed by fans and media for passing too much. Can't please all the people all the time, I guess.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Santonio Holmes is quickly becoming a top wide reciever in this league. Heath Miller leads all TE's in TD catches. Ben Roethlisberger is Top 5 in TD passes, and just behind Brady in QB rating. Willie Parker is the leading rusher in the AFC.

Don't tell me that this team isn't very good. Hell, we may end up beating the Patriots. But if we lose to them, we will end up a 12-4 team and AFC North Champs. We can still end up with the #2 seed. Indy barley beat a mediocre Cheifs team, they can easily drop 2 more games. I think they still play the Titans and Jags, those are both losable games for the depleted Colts.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

We can win with what we have at WR.

What we need is help all over the OL. Our 1st two picks better be offensive lineman this next offseason and there better be some FA's come in for help...and I'm not talking about the Sean Mahan's of the world.

We also need someone who can run the ball effectively between the tackles. This is not a slam against Willie Parker. I like Willie, but I would like to have a RB that gets us 4...3...5....8...15...3...2....9 yards a pop. Willie is too much boom or bust and I think all of this work is completely wearing him down.

Our WR's are good enough. Let's get some more help elsewhere.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote