Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Mike Tomlin... jekyll/hyde?

i love mike tomlin like you have noo idea it's just that when we lose and when he's so calm like that i get worried that he doesn't care... idk it's great when we win though caues he never gets ahead of himself and like definitely has his head on straight... but ugh when we lose i miss having the JAW yelling at his players etc... but hey mike tomlin is much more classy..
Rhee Rhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Mike Tomlin... jekle hyde?

I think it brings across the idea that they are going to be a calm customer regardless of when and what will happen.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i love mike tomlin like you have noo idea it's just that when we lose and when he's so calm like that i get worried that he doesn't care... idk it's great when we win though caues he never gets ahead of himself and like definitely has his head on straight... but ugh when we lose i miss having the JAW yelling at his players etc... but hey mike tomlin is much more classy..
i know what you mean, i'd like to see a little more fire at times....i cant complain tho
Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Cowher and Tomlin are mirror opposites in personality and each has their own style of fire. Cowher's was an external flame, while Tomlin's is more internal. Those players who have been with the team for several years and beyond had to make the adjustment from Cowher's spittle baths to Tomlin's calm quiet demeanor in a short period of time. Tomlin makes no secret about what makes him tick or how he interprets a win or a loss - he just seems to prefer doing so calmly. I loved The Chin's style of fire, but more and more, I am appreciating Tomlin's laid back approach and class.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
But thats exactly it---he's NOT jekle & hyde---he's the same no matter what----a bit like some other rather successful coaches recently ---the Beloved Tony Dungy and the Dispicable Belichick, and of course Chuck Noll as well.

Look-- no coach can change the personality of a verteran team in one year----the Steelers still play Cowher's emotional roller coaster---play up and down with your competition. Give it five years, and I feel like we could be rolling through every game like the colts(when their not decimated by injury) and the pats do.

He's a total throwback to Noll---and I think that's the prototype successful coach now a days. . .
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

If anyone watched the post game PC, Tomlin was pissed.
I don't think there's any doubt that Mike can fire up this team, just without all the spitting.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
duma
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5730

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownward View Post
If anyone watched the post game PC, Tomlin was pissed.
I don't think there's any doubt that Mike can fire up this team, just without all the spitting.
"Thomas Jones ran the DAMN ball on us." That was Tomlin showing anger.
duma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Quote:
Originally Posted by duma View Post
"Thomas Jones ran the DAMN ball on us." That was Tomlin showing anger.
He wasn't handing out daisies, seemed pissed to me.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
But thats exactly it---he's NOT jekle & hyde---he's the same no matter what----a bit like some other rather successful coaches recently ---the Beloved Tony Dungy and the Dispicable Belichick, and of course Chuck Noll as well.

Look-- no coach can change the personality of a verteran team in one year----the Steelers still play Cowher's emotional roller coaster---play up and down with your competition. Give it five years, and I feel like we could be rolling through every game like the colts(when their not decimated by injury) and the pats do.

He's a total throwback to Noll---and I think that's the prototype successful coach now a days. . .
I think Tomlin is doing great. yes I agree he appears to be like Noll in so many ways. I do think there is a problem. Its a big one. There is no In the Locker Room and on The Field Leader(s) on this team> Noll had many leaders on his team.

If you were to ask the question of any reasonably informed fan who are (were) the leaders of the Steelers of the 70's you would have an incredibly long list of names:
Joe Greene, Jack lambert , Andy Russell, Lynn Swann . This was incredibly mature group of men and football players that matched up with Noll's intellectuall business like like personality. Believe me these guys and others provided incredible leadership.

Two years ago the answer would be Jerome Bettis and Joey Porter.

Today I do not believe there is anybody. I do not follow new England 's team but I believe I know their leaders on the field in the locker room. Bruchi, Vrabel and certainly Tom Brady even Jr Seau.

I think Ben has the best opportunity but he has got to quit the politics. "my offensive line did a great job. That is bull shit and he knows it . Ben is by far the best player on the team and at the most important position. Brady scream at his players. I saw Peyton Manning on the field 3 years ago during a time out telling a wide receiver something the receiver did not like. The receiver shoved manning whjile the camera was right on him. It happens but I can assure that Manning hassince established himself as a a prime leader on the calmly led Tony Dungy Colts.

Preacher suggested Anthony Smith > i agree . Smith has the basic fire. Lee Flowers was not an all pro type but he was full of fire from the moment he stepped on the field. Leaders can come from anywhere and I believe they must on this team.

It is very apparent to me that that fire is missing and it is not, nor should it come from the head coach. However I liked Bobby April's emotional energy when he was our special teams coach. I sense something is missing from these special teams coaches and that is where my criticsm of the coaching staff sarts and ends. I am ok with the rest of the coaches. Offensive play callling is not the problem but lack of player execution is.

In conclusion emotional energy is a big part of football at every level and the Steelers do not YET have it in the person of any player on this team .

Man I just hope Ben becomes that leader and soon because he is in a good place to take it over. I just hope to see him knock of the water table or hear him screaming at his offensive line. He can get away with this. It can be done in the locker room at half time.

This team is inconsistent as we all know and I think they do not have enough fire in them.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
I do think there is a problem. Its a big one. There is no In the Locker Room and on The Field Leader(s) on this team> Noll had many leaders on his team.
That is simply not true. I think Farrior, Ben and Hines have clearly demonstrated leadership with this team both on the field and in the locker room (from what I've read).

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote