Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736
Default Re: Mike Tomlin... jekle hyde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
That is simply not true. I think Farrior, Ben and Hines have clearly demonstrated leadership with this team both on the field and in the locker room (from what I've read).
Ok Please tell me what you have read or what you have in fact seen that demonstrates EMOTIONAL OR EVEN EFFECTIVE LEADSERSHIP?
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
Ok Please tell me what you have read or what you have in fact seen that demonstrates EMOTIONAL OR EVEN EFFECTIVE LEADSERSHIP?
Attitude reflects leadership....not play. There are too many factors to take into consideration to try and blame leadership for shotty play. For example, if our team is outplayed due to the opposition having a better game plan...it would be ridiculous to blame leadership.

Talent...game planning....execution... are all things that are beyond a "Leaders" ability to change.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I think it brings across the idea that they are going to be a calm customer regardless of when and what will happen.
be careful though...I live in Filthadelphia and they have that attitude on this team.
McDumpoff is the same win or lose and so is the coach...all the players have that same friggin demeanor. Fans out here hate it cause it reeks of no passion.

I'd rather have the passion.

The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Quote:
I think Tomlin is doing great. yes I agree he appears to be like Noll in so many ways. I do think there is a problem. Its a big one. There is no In the Locker Room and on The Field Leader(s) on this team> Noll had many leaders on his team.

I think Ben has the best opportunity but he has got to quit the politics. "my offensive line did a great job. That is bull shit and he knows it . Ben is by far the best player on the team and at the most important position. Brady scream at his players. I saw Peyton Manning on the field 3 years ago during a time out telling a wide receiver something the receiver did not like. The receiver shoved manning whjile the camera was right on him. It happens but I can assure that Manning hassince established himself as a a prime leader on the calmly led Tony Dungy Colts.
The fact is that we, no matter what we read, do not know exactly what is said in the meeting rooms or the locker rooms. for all we know, Trai Essex could be the vocal leader. (just kidding)

I definitely agree with the statement about Ben playing politics. Sometimes the best advice someone can get is a good swift kick in the a$$, and I don't think it's a real secret that the "offensive" line needs that kick in the ass. They have a job to do, and they're not doing it. Just think about what Ben would do with the cheatsies line in front of him.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
That's easy. As LLT so correctly stated above, their ATTITUDE(s) and how they carry themselves both on and off the field clearly demonstrate leadership to me. Seeing Ben on the sidelines high fiving the D when they come off the field after stopping an opponent. Ben - Farrior- Hines - not sulking after a loss and pointing the fickle finger of blame at anyone else (and at times in the case of Ben - himself), believing in their unit mates even after they've had a less than stellar performance (most recently - Ben not blaming his OL for shoddy play in the Jets game). I could go on and on with examples but I feel I've proven my point. These guys are definitely leaders imho. There are more than likely others, but these are the three that stand out to me.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251
Default Re: Mike Tomlin... jekyll/hyde?

Answer is simple.

1. Tomlin is known as a "player's coach" He doesn;t rule by fear but by "respect" and
treats his players like "men". (The exact opposite of Noll and Cowher...you remember those guys...right?)

2. These same players I just mentioned get themselves up for the harder opponents
and "big games".

3.These same players also lack the DISCIPLINE....D I S C I P L I N E that they need
from someone who doesn't treat the players like men, or free spirits, but like
employees, and more importantly a team.

Where Tomlin's mistakes have come this year is in NOT getting the message across
to the "men" that "easy opponents" do not exist in the NFL anymore.

A little less "hey buddy" and a bit more "hey...you screw up and Monday you'll be
flippin' burgers at Mickey-D's is in order here I think.

Either Tomlin or a core of team leaders will realize this...in 2008.
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

tomlin is a rookie head coach after all. some of these stumbles against inferior teams go with the territory of having a new head coach. cowher had those kinds of troubles his entire career. its just the way the core of this team is for some reason. we've played down to our opponents for a number of years now.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886

I agree in the press conference to was very angry and it showed in his tone.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
I agree in the press conference to was very angry and it showed in his tone.
Good, it's time he got a little pissed.

Tomlin is a smart, and matter of fact guy, which is great.

But he is also a bit too hands off sometimes I think. These are athletes, highly paid at
that. They are not self-driven 100% of the time. That's one of the reasons team sports
exist, and why we don;t buy tickets to watch artists or rocket scientists on Sundays.

You can be a tough, induce the fear type leader and still treat your players like men.
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Personally I feel like the biggest fear in ANY player in the league is the fear of being benched. I think there is too much of a standard that a premiere player won't be benched just because he is a "premiere player."....as in a player that sells tickets.

But then again, on the flip-side....benching a premiere player is a huge negative in the fact that very rarely, these guys sit quietly on the bench waiting for their next opportunity. They cause problems with the media and bring bad attention to the team and that can be a huge distraction.

So how do you win?

I don't even know how to approach special teams....that unit in general needs a complete overhaul.

O-line? Do whatever it takes, man. Just keep Ben off the ground so he can make some plays. The current O-line isn't playing to the whistle....keeping their blocks until the play is over. They block for a few seconds and get beat? Why, because they suck? No, they're just giving up.

Hmm...I thought I was going somewhere with this but I think I've just rambled....
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote