Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #21
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Mike Tomlin... jekyll/hyde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i love mike tomlin like you have noo idea it's just that when we lose and when he's so calm like that i get worried that he doesn't care... idk it's great when we win though caues he never gets ahead of himself and like definitely has his head on straight... but ugh when we lose i miss having the JAW yelling at his players etc... but hey mike tomlin is much more classy..
I get sick of the criticism that tomlin gets for not spitting and hollering that cowher used to do. We are 7-3 right now and last I checked thats alot been then we were doing a year ago.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #22
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I get sick of the criticism that tomlin gets for not spitting and hollering that cowher used to do. We are 7-3 right now and last I checked thats alot been then we were doing a year ago.
I agree, D. People are fickle as hell. Cowher got bemoaned because of his spittles and yelling and now Tomlin is bemoaned for not spitting and screaming. When Cowher didn't spit and scream last season, he was criticized for that too. Go figure. Must be that Iron City beer people drink around here.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #23
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

The reason people got on Cowher last year was you could tell he packed it in last year....since he was going to retire after the season......

As for Mike Tomlin....I don't understand why people are getting on him....He is a rookie HC....Has he made mistakes? Yes he has but thats expected from a rookie HC and thats why I'm cutting him slack.....Plus the team is 7-3 even though in all reality this team should be 9-1.....But still 7-3 is solid with a rookie HC......
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #24
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

It's still a adjustment for all of us this year to get used to how Coach Tomlin acts...we are still used to BC's spit and fire...

I love the fact that Ben loves playing for the guy though...it does make a difference when you like your coach
Old 11-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #25
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i love mike tomlin like you have noo idea it's just that when we lose and when he's so calm like that i get worried that he doesn't care... idk it's great when we win though caues he never gets ahead of himself and like definitely has his head on straight... but ugh when we lose i miss having the JAW yelling at his players etc... but hey mike tomlin is much more classy..
That would be the CHIN. The Jaw is from the other Pennsylvania team and flaps his gums on MNF.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Guys, it's time to move on from Cowher. Mike Tomlin is not Bill Cowher, he has never been Bill Cowher, and he never will be Bill Cowher. He is not a "fire and brimstone" kind of coach, period. But as you saw this week in both of his press conferences, when the team doesn't perform up to his expectations, he gets pissed just like any other head coach. He is trying to take a more professional approach to the games, and focusing on winning games through preparation, rather than telling the guys "you had better do this, or your ass is grass." It's simply not his style.

Emotion alone does not win football games - you also need talent and execution. Besides, do any of you know what goes on behind closed doors and when the cameras are off? How do you guys know that Tomlin doesn't give them hell when they play like crap?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #27
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
He is not a "fire and brimstone" kind of coach, period....

He is trying to take a more professional approach to the games, and focusing on winning games through preparation....

Emotion alone does not win football games
It does sound like he really focuses on preparation. As far as motivating the players like Ike, whether through benching him at the end of the season, or giving him 100% suppport as Tomlin did, each player is different. IMO, the best coaches learn how to best coach & motivate each player individually by how they feel each player will best respond.

As far as judging Tomlin, he is still in the first mile of a coaching marathon.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #28
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Guys, it's time to move on from Cowher. Mike Tomlin is not Bill Cowher, he has never been Bill Cowher, and he never will be Bill Cowher. He is not a "fire and brimstone" kind of coach, period. But as you saw this week in both of his press conferences, when the team doesn't perform up to his expectations, he gets pissed just like any other head coach. He is trying to take a more professional approach to the games, and focusing on winning games through preparation, rather than telling the guys "you had better do this, or your ass is grass." It's simply not his style.

Emotion alone does not win football games - you also need talent and execution. Besides, do any of you know what goes on behind closed doors and when the cameras are off? How do you guys know that Tomlin doesn't give them hell when they play like crap?
XT... I think only the STEELERS players know what goes on behind closed doors...its pretty evident they are a private football team to the media
Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Thank you Ed Bouchette.............

Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Q: Mike Tomlin may be a "tough, no-nonsense" type of guy in the locker room and at practice, but on the sidelines, he is totally devoid of emotion -- even seen smiling and laughing at critical points in the game. Do you think that this affects THIS team negatively compared to when Bill Cowher would spit and yell at players if they were not performing? There just seems to be no accountability during the games -- the players that screw up are not getting re-directed during the game.

John Stulak, Philadelphia, Pa.

BOUCHETTE:
I thought your letter was a joke before I realized you are serious. Have you watched games other than the Steelers? How does Tony Dungy, whose Colts won the Super Bowl in February, react on the sidelines? Or even Bill Belichick? Chuck Noll was as impassive as they came, and so too was Tom Landry. Bill Cowher had his style and Tomlin and many others have the opposite on game days. Plus, if he were to spit and scream and run around and wave his arms, do you think the Steelers would be 10-0 instead of 7-3?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07328/836230-367.stm
Old 11-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Thank you Ed Bouchette.............

Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Q: Mike Tomlin may be a "tough, no-nonsense" type of guy in the locker room and at practice, but on the sidelines, he is totally devoid of emotion -- even seen smiling and laughing at critical points in the game. Do you think that this affects THIS team negatively compared to when Bill Cowher would spit and yell at players if they were not performing? There just seems to be no accountability during the games -- the players that screw up are not getting re-directed during the game.

John Stulak, Philadelphia, Pa.

BOUCHETTE:
I thought your letter was a joke before I realized you are serious. Have you watched games other than the Steelers? How does Tony Dungy, whose Colts won the Super Bowl in February, react on the sidelines? Or even Bill Belichick? Chuck Noll was as impassive as they came, and so too was Tom Landry. Bill Cowher had his style and Tomlin and many others have the opposite on game days. Plus, if he were to spit and scream and run around and wave his arms, do you think the Steelers would be 10-0 instead of 7-3?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07328/836230-367.stm
Interesting... Bouchette completely sidestepped the actual question... Actually, it was a nice dance step...

but the question was, doe it affect THIS team. I would think that the bottom line of the question was that the Steelers have been built partly on a foundation of emotionalism. Cowher comes out, yells, screams, gets his team pumped up... they go out and crush the opponent.

Then, in one summer, the team swings to the other extreme... the Knoll way of doing things. If the team that was built by and under Cowher was a team that responded to Cowher and his emotion, then it will take a bit for the team to learn how to respond to a coach that doesn't fire them up emotionally like Cowher.

Sure, Dungy won last year without firing up his team... but he built a team that responds to his type of leadership.

Tomlin will build this team in his likeness. They will be a great team.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote