Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Steelers are Mouthy

this supports my belief that the team severely lacks discipline with the 3 road losses to inferior teams. i dont think tomlin deserves all the blame for it either. this all started last season after winning the super bowl. they played poorly on the road last year other than in ohio and cowher wasnt much of a disciplinarian, which translated to their play on the field. the article below is probably because our DBs never shut up.

from PFT.

POSTED 8:58 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 10:16 a.m. EST, November 22, 2007

TOMLIN'S STEELERS TALK TRASH

A league source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers have become one of the mouthiest teams in the league during the first year of the Mike Tomlin regime.

Even without Joey Porter on the roster.

The source says it was never that way under former coach Bill Cowher.

Except for Joey Porter.

The Steelers are 7-3 in Tomlin's initial season as a head coach. But there are questions about how good the team is, given that they lost to the Jets in Week Eleven.

Then again, the surprisingly solid Browns are 6-2 in the games they haven't played against the Steelers.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers are Mouthy

Quote:
from PFT

Even if it is true, so what? Teams talk trash. They keep it out of the media from what I've read/heard. It's not like they are throwing out bulletin board material before every game. Talking trash is the least of our concerns. That has nothing to do with our horrible specials teams play and our offensive line looking as if they couldn't hang in a midget league.

Hey, maybe they do talk more trash with Tomlin leading the way than they did when Cowher led the way. But one thing is for sure, they are not taking the stupid 15 yard penalties for taunting and excessive celebration like they were last year under Cowher ("It will never happen again").

Overall, this is a non-issue in my opinion. Considering the source makes it even that much more unreliable and meaningless.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Even if it is true, so what? Teams talk trash. They keep it out of the media from what I've read/heard. It's not like they are throwing out bulletin board material before every game. Talking trash is the least of our concerns. That has nothing to do with our horrible specials teams play and our offensive line looking as if they couldn't hang in a midget league.

Hey, maybe they do talk more trash with Tomlin leading the way than they did when Cowher led the way. But one thing is for sure, they are not taking the stupid 15 yard penalties for taunting and excessive celebration like they were last year under Cowher ("It will never happen again").

Overall, this is a non-issue in my opinion. Considering the source makes it even that much more unreliable and meaningless.
and the league source that was cited? probably a patriot trying to drum up some confidence for an upcoming game. lemme guess.... we already booked our rooms for the superbowl, too.

speaking of talking trash to the media tom brady said he wants to "kill teams" and the patriots said the buffalo players need to return their paychecks, after last sunday nights game. and here i thought it was bad enough to silently running up the score on all their opponents.

so where are the articles on this? yeah, its the steelers with a problem
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and the league source that was cited? probably a patriot trying to drum up some confidence for an upcoming game. lemme guess.... we already booked our rooms for the superbowl, too.

speaking of talking trash to the media tom brady said he wants to "kill teams" and the patriots said the buffalo players need to return their paychecks, after last sunday nights game. and here i thought it was bad enough to silently running up the score on all their opponents.

so where are the articles on this? yeah, its the steelers with a problem
That's the classy organization we have come to know as the New England Patriots. Class and professionalism my ass.

The difference, they are yapping off in the media. It's not as if they are keeping it on the field. I have yet to hear a Steeler player or coach degrade the opposing team all season long.

Personally, I have no problem if players want to talk trash on the field, it's when you start yapping to the media in the week leading up to the game that can come back and bite you.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post

Excellent post & comparison between the two teams.. I for one hope they are talking trash on the field. I do not care for the demonstrative celebration crap, Chad Johnson and TO. Talking trash and bravado is part of the emotional zone athletes go to. Larry Bird in basketball did it to elevate his confidence and to "destroy " his defender. The football field is a war zone. It is not for the faint at heart. I spent this whole week asking mysel if this Steeler team which I so love has the passion and emotional intensity required to play 4 quarters of high level football game after game. I still do not know the answer. Your points made in your post are well taken. The current team's poor offesnive line & special teams play, last years stupid 15 yard penlties due to a lack of disicpline in poor coaching is totally correct. Tomlin is on the right path.

I am encouraged by the possibility that the Steelers talk trash and I am hopefull this team will get pissed off and remember their legacy. They are the Pittsburgh
Steelers and unlike last year when the Ravens shoved them around and this year when the lowly Jets again shoved them around they are going to send the message as Jack lambert did to Cliff Harris and Joe Greene did so many time let the world know WE THE STEELERS DO SHOVING . Sunday's game was one of the worst games I have seen in a long time.

When I see the Steeler passion & toughness return , and it will , then we will know the Steelers are in control of their destiny, New England not withstanding. This teams has talent and it has some weakness. I think Ben Rothlisberger is capable of compensating for the weakness of the OL. Shorter passing game , pass more on 1st down and pass more often on apparent running situyations. In short pass to run. Ben is an incredible athlete who is just beginning to emerge. Put the ball is his hands and optimize his abilities. There is hope and plenty of it. I will be dissapointed and surprised if the coaches do not adjust. Bring on the trash and bring on the Steeler intensity.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i dont necessarily mind the trash talking either. but the team has been taking vacations during road games for the past 2 seasons now. they just dont seem as focused like in 2004 and 05. if you take away our 4 wins in ohio the past two seasons, we are 1-8 on the road.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
if you take away our 4 wins in ohio the past two seasons, we are 1-8 on the road.
whew... that is one UGLY stat.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251

I was always under the impression that one takes out the trash, not bury their mouths
in it and spit out what they find.
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the surprisingly solid Browns are 6-2 in the games they haven't played against the Steelers.
Haha, why does this amuse me so much?

[sorry, off topic, i know]
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

Who gives a sh*t, this is football, these guys are getting paid millions of dollars. If someone's feelings are hurt because of trash talk that's happening on the field, obviously he doesn't have confidence in his own team.