Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Tommy answers the boo birds

well i was trying to think postive about maddox playing, i was hopeing the fluke maddox came out to play yesterday but we ended up seeing the real maddox.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

gesh, give him a break, he had a bad game, they all do. Everyone was all up on Maddox when he had a great season, ben comes in, takes over the team, and maddox hasn't played. His first "real" start and he flopped, he'll get over it, just like we all need to!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
Koopa
Living Legend

did you not watch 2004? and the first two games of last season? cause he sucked pretty bad. we was lucky to beat the raiders last year and we lost to the ravens cause maddox was the starter. he is garbage, he's barely a number 2 qb
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #14
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Maddox for his career is what, 15-16? Or maybe 16-15? Either way, he's mediocre at best. He's no different really than Neil O'Donnell or Kordell Stewart. Just another average Steeler QB that has just as much chance to lose as he does to win, and that's some sucky odds to have for a starting QB.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

I'd have taken odonnel over maddox in a heartbeat ...
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #16
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Yeah, it looks like Maddox just had six really good games in his life... They all just happened to be in such a short period of time that a lot of folks, including myself, thought he was the real deal...but I think it's the other way around, unfortunately.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,544 Times in 3,763 Posts

Maddox was horrible but consider the possibility that the plan was to run and the plan failed (e.g. - Bettis goes for 4 yards on 4 carries). Even prior to Ben's injury, the OL has not been playing to last year's level, with both Simmons and Starks having problems.

Jax was at the lower end of the stats on run D, which makes yesterday's inability to run depressing. If the Steelers are going to win Sunday, they need to run, which may involve the anticipated switch from Parker to either Bettis or Staley as the starting RB.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #18
Koopa
Living Legend

but at least big ben can move the ball when the running game is shut down. maddox can't, he was trying to kill the wrs by throwing into triple coverage and makin heath stretch out for his passes. but we better stop talkin about maddox casue rowedoff or wtf ever is gonna start questioning our loyalty to the team
Old 10-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #19
I.C. Lights
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
Maddox was horrible but consider the possibility that the plan was to run and the plan failed (e.g. - Bettis goes for 4 yards on 4 carries). Even prior to Ben's injury, the OL has not been playing to last year's level, with both Simmons and Starks having problems.

Jax was at the lower end of the stats on run D, which makes yesterday's inability to run depressing. If the Steelers are going to win Sunday, they need to run, which may involve the anticipated switch from Parker to either Bettis or Staley as the starting RB.

Yeah, you're definitely right about the OL...I've been concerned about them since preseason and not feeling too much better these days, but we can still survive when they aren't up to snuff. We can't survive with Maddox starting. But, we'll get Ben, Hines and maybe even Duce back soon, so it's probably best just to write this game off and move on with our SB season! GO STEELERS!!!

(Btw, Atlanta Dan, welcome aboard!)

Last edited by I.C. Lights; 10-17-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #20
I.C. Lights
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa
but at least big ben can move the ball when the running game is shut down. maddox can't, he was trying to kill the wrs by throwing into triple coverage and makin heath stretch out for his passes. but we better stop talkin about maddox casue rowedoff or wtf ever is gonna start questioning our loyalty to the team
Well the Maddox situation is easy to confuse with loyalty, because he was hot for a short period of time and its hard to see that those games were the fluke as opposed to the norm. If you still believe that he's a good QB, you're not gonna agree with people like us because it sounds like we've turned on him. But I don't think these are just bad games, it seems more like significant underperformance, and after the way he played on Sunday I think it is completely fair to demote him to third string. Besides, where's the loyalty to the Steelers if you don't even want to give our other QBs a chance to prove themselves?!