Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Parker ready to turn it up another notch

Parker ready to turn it up another notch
Sunday, November 25, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Something's wrong with Fast Willie Parker. Oh, he's still fast, so fast that tomorrow night he could reach 1,000 yards rushing, two games faster than he did last season.

Yet there are grumblings that even though he leads the AFC with 925 yards rushing, second in the league only behind sensational but injured rookie Adrian Peterson of Minnesota, that there's just something missing from Parker and the Steelers ground game this season.

Those grumblings start within the mind of Willie Parker.

"I'm having some bad games, man," said the back who leads the league with six 100-yard games this season.

Parker is rarely satisfied, but he's particularly perturbed by recent games. In his past three games, he rushed for 42 vs. Baltimore, 105 vs. Cleveland and 52 in a loss against the Jets. He was happy with none of them, saying he left a lot of yards on the field at home against Cleveland.

So, despite leading every running back in the NFL but one, Parker said he will change his style starting tomorrow night against Miami. He said he will return to his old style of last season, when he ran for 1,494 yards and became the only back in Steelers history to top 200 twice.

"I'm just going back to playing like I used to play, taking more chances," Parker vowed. "I think it's better off for me and the line. I'm not going to press it, I'm just going to free my mind and play ball."

Parker said he became more of a disciplined runner this season, hitting it up between the tackles and not trying to make a break for the corner when he thought something might be there. It's why, he believes, his long runs have diminished.

Last season, Parker had runs of 76 and 72 and, all together, six longer than 35 yards. This season, his longest run is 32. Backup Najeh Davenport has the team's longest runs of 45 and 39 and wide receiver Cedrick Wilson has one longer at 37.

"This year, it's more scheme," Parker said, "and more like -- I wouldn't say I'm not confident in taking the corner, but I'm more hitting it up the middle and reading it. Instead of taking that chance like I used to take last year, I don't take as many chances."

Of course, there may be tradeoffs to the different approaches Parker takes. Last season, while he had more long runs and bigger games, he also had games of 20 yards rushing, 47, 46, 22 and 29 and his team finished 8-8. This season, he has topped 100 in six of 10 games and the Steelers are 7-3.

Particularly galling for them, however, was their performances at Denver and at the New York Jets. At the time they played them both teams ranked dead last in the NFL against the rush, yet the Steelers managed only 119 and 112 yards against them with Parker getting 93 and 52.

It was a stunningly poor performance for an offense that ranks second in the league in rushing.

"I wouldn't even think we're still No. 2," guard Alan Faneca said. "It just seems for some reason some games we get the job done, some we don't. It's inconsistent play."

Tomorrow, in a statistical anomaly, they will play the No. 32 defense against the rush again in Miami, and they want to avoid a similar outcome.

Parker thinks they have lost to such teams because of the attitude they've brought into those games.

"We go and play at these guys' level, man. We think they're below average and we play below average. It's the tale of the tape.

"We were supposed to beat all three of those teams and we didn't. That's just how it is, but we didn't. We didn't go out and take care of business. That's our downfall, that's why we're not a great team right now. That's why we're not getting everything done, we're not handling business when we're supposed to handle business."

Parker hopes to help change that tomorrow night, and he'd like to hit 1,000 as well, something he did not do until his 13th game last season.

"It means a lot, coming back home, in Heinz Field, in front of your fans, in front of your family and it's Monday night."

He also would love to lead the league in rushing, something that no Steelers back has done since Bullet Bill Dudley in 1946. Peterson, who will miss at least one more game today, has 156 yards more than Parker.

"You know leading the league would mean a lot to me," Parker said. "That would be a big step for me, another line on my resume. But I'm not going to dwell on it. That's a big steppingstone. But we just have to get our stuff together. Right now we ain't playing worth a crap."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609
Default Re: Parker ready to turn it up another notch

Outside or inside....We still need consistent play from the line.

My biggest gripe is that we need to get Parker going out in space on dump/screen passes. Get this boy involved in the passing game (NOT THROWING!!! LOL)

Parker is the kind of back like Westbrook is in Philly. He needs space to be dangerous. We need to get the ball to him in space as much as possible, because with this line....no matter who it is, a smaller back is not going to have success running up the middle.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote:
Parker thinks they have lost to such teams because of the attitude they've brought into those games.

"We go and play at these guys' level, man. We think they're below average and we play below average. It's the tale of the tape.

"We were supposed to beat all three of those teams and we didn't. That's just how it is, but we didn't. We didn't go out and take care of business. That's our downfall, that's why we're not a great team right now. That's why we're not getting everything done, we're not handling business when we're supposed to handle business."
thank you willie, for saying what many fans know, yet players and coaches are so afraid to admit. in certain instances, the players have gotten big headed and overlooked opponents. the steelers play best when they are facing a seemingly insurmountable wall that they cant even see over.

willie was the 1st player last year to mention a "superbowl hangover". they did get better after that.

some may think willie is calling out his teammates with these remarks, but i really think they are more of an intospective response. willie is probably as guilty as anyone. i bet anything willie and the offense were sure he would have 500 rushing yards against those 3 teams combined.

i would tell willie to run scared, and not over-confident. jerry rice and barry sanders always played scared. willie learned to run confident from jerome bettis. he was big and physically imposing enough that he didnt have to play scared.

willie is powerful, but hes not reggie white or earl campbell powerful. he cant impose his will like a casey hampton or orlando pace.

play scared, and run like your life depended on it, willie! save your power as the ace in the hole, not your bread and butter.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251

Excellent article and it's great to see WP assessing his own play, but also the play of the team as a whole.

I hope the entire team read this article. It should be taped in everyone's locker if not directly on their foreheads.

Parker took on the role of a leader here, albeit indirectly through the media.

Great job.

GO FAST WILLIE PARKER!!!!!!
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

That's what I like to read. At least we know HE feels what many of us were thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Still a Big "Fast Willie" fan and hope he and the Oline can get in proper gear for the playoff drive.
Every interview I have heard or come across with Willie he seems very genuine and appreciative as to where he is at. Also seems not afriad to speak his mind either.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote