Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736
Default Re: Bouncing it outside - Willie Parker

OK i agree Arians must implement the short passing game and i expect to see it tonight. Parker must be includedin this strategey, screen passes and passes out in the flat yes. Parker is not the problem in my judgement.

I honestly can not remember the last time I saw a hole opened up for Parker the width of one defensive lineman. 3 to 4 feet. This offensive line is the PROBLEM not Parker. John Riggens, Jim Brown Earl Campbell LT and certainly not Westbrook could run through this line. I just keep hoping they get better. Any strategy changes (play calling changes ) is now simply compensation for a weak offensive line.

Brady did not look so great last night when the pressure was on. Ben handles pressure far better than Brady but Brady gets more protection more often.

The OL is bad very bad.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Hopefully the new sod with help Willie from stumbling all over himself when he does get a hole to run through.
Agree that Willie needs to touch the ball more is passing game.
We used to be so good at screens but this year just brutal as I can't really recall more than one successful screen pass the entire year..
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Expect chunks of sod to fly, along with poor footing for Willie. New sod sucks!

I also agree that Westbrook has very good vision. He really showed that last night, although not the best average per carry. It was nice to see him get to the corner without losing his footing.

Makes me imagine how many times Willie would have broken it for a long run if we had a better surface.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerstrength View Post
Makes me imagine how many times Willie would have broken it for a long run if we had a better surface.
So how do you explain his performances against New Orleans and Cleveland last year on our field? He averaged over 100 yards at home last year and this year. He's first in the conference in rushing. He's had 100 yard games in 6 of his first 10 games. Teams are packing the box with 8+ defenders and there have not been any lanes to run. I'm not making excuses for him, but when you are faced with those kind of situations, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Trying to turn the corner runs you the risk of losing yards. Willie needs to improve his game and stop worrying about the field, but anyone objectively looking at his stats through the first 10 games should hopefully realize that he's done a good job so far.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRobinson View Post
So how do you explain his performances against New Orleans and Cleveland last year on our field? He averaged over 100 yards at home last year and this year. He's first in the conference in rushing. He's had 100 yard games in 6 of his first 10 games. Teams are packing the box with 8+ defenders and there have not been any lanes to run. I'm not making excuses for him, but when you are faced with those kind of situations, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Trying to turn the corner runs you the risk of losing yards. Willie needs to improve his game and stop worrying about the field, but anyone objectively looking at his stats through the first 10 games should hopefully realize that he's done a good job so far.

I'm talking about how much better his numbers would be. Willie has done a great job, considering all factors. The field, our O-Line, and to some extent his progression, are objective factors that contribute to his performance and stats. I'm happy with his performance this year, and I'm definitely a FWP Fan!

FWP has the speed to turn the corner, but this years field seems to be slower. (Although he did slip a couple of times vs the Jets) Laying new sod, over the top of the old, will not help foot work, until that sod takes.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Parker is still a young pup, but will earn his wings with the more expericence he gains. Westbrook is a veteran and has great visions to come with that. If you watch old videos of Brian W. he looked alot like parker running, but after about 5 years his visions greatly increased and he could find the hole or bounce to the outside easily!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

field isnt the problem.. its the defenders in the backfield before he gets the handoff that are the problem.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote