Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: The Government Should Have To Work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
So then why don't we make Christianity the official religion of this country and subject all people of other religions, and beliefs to our prayers in PUBLIC schools and in all government offices, only hire Christians to work in government jobs, and make it so that you must be a Christian to run for PUBLIC office etc.... A Christian theocracy. That sounds like freedom Right????????
Sadly, you completely missed the main point of my post.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Sadly, you completely missed the main point of my post.
Okay I reread it. I see what your saying, and the point your trying to make. I just don't see a need for a reference to any God in our government ,or our public schools, or anything that is funded by the Federal government. If people want to say a prayer, or swear on a bible before court proceedings, or taking the oath of office( and it's debatable whether or not Washington himself actually did that) that should be their CHOICE. I personally am not an atheist, I just feel that people should have that choice. Take the Pledge for instance. It didn't always say under God. That was put in during the early 50's.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Steel Head View Post
Okay I reread it. I see what your saying, and the point your trying to make. I just don't see a need for a reference to any God in our government ,or our public schools, or anything that is funded by the Federal government. If people want to say a prayer, or swear on a bible before court proceedings, or taking the oath of office( and it's debatable whether or not Washington himself actually did that) that should be their CHOICE. I personally am not an atheist, I just feel that people should have that choice. Take the Pledge for instance. It didn't always say under God. That was put in during the early 50's.
The need for the references comes from the fact that if you remove the reference, you remove the giver of rights. What is left, is a government that believes THEY give and take away rights.

When a government that believes the rights of the people are derived from a creator refuse to recognize the creator, the next logical step is to refuse to recognize the rights from the creator.

I in no way want an institutional religion, but when a bunch of American Citizens get together to help out battered women, it shouldn't matter whether they are doing it out of a club or a church, it is American citizens who are doing it. Funding the church over the club, or the club over the church comes dangerously close to violating no religious test clause, because it is saying if you want to be associating at arms length with this government, your organization can not be associated with faith. That was NEVER the intention of the first amendment. Matter of fact, it was what the first amendment was intended to protect against... a litmus test... ANY litmus test of faith.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?
Very little that I can state that would not result in a message to me by the mods.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #25
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Hey Preach, whatever happened to OUR "God Thread"?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Very little that I can state that would not result in a message to me by the mods.
PM me with your thoughts then. Even though we often disagree, your thoughts are insightful and articulated well. I would like to know what you think.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
PM me with your thoughts then. Even though we often disagree, your thoughts are insightful and articulated well. I would like to know what you think.
Nah, no need. I'm not a real atheist. I was just curious as to why the thread died. It WAS intellectually stimulating, though. Arguing from the opposing viewpoint is absolutely the best way to understand and empathize with your opponent, and the less structured the format (i.e. internet message board) the better!

I do have part 3 if you want to read it sometime. I think I even have the latticework of what was going to be part 4 lying around here somewhere.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #28
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

LOL! I am waiting for Master of Puppets to cue up the popcorn & beer smilies!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

mmmm. beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
IMO, Bush went to war because 3,000 civilians were murdered on U.S. soil by muslim extremists who are hell bent on our total destruction. Despite the pressure on Bush by the media, his political opponents & those easily persuaded by the medias bias reporting, Bush has stayed the course. It appears the tide is changing in the Middle East, in our favor in fact, though you will not hear much about it.
19 or so people, funded by a millionaire took pilot classes, and crashed 4 jets to kill those 3000... an idea the "trenchcoat mafia" kids had envisioned as the climax of the columbine massacre. theres dave koresh who begat tim mcveigh, and many microcosms of terrorism on our own soil, by our own people, every day.

know who scares me more than muslim extremist terrorists? bush's foreign buddies in the muslim nations. selling our money to the muslims who do nothing to prevent the exremists who are helbent on our total destruction is very scary.

"In God We Trust" on our currency? what God does that mean anymore? does it represent the Christian Jesus? or does it represent the almighty dollar our capitalistic society has come to worship?

anyways, if we keep selling it to the middle easterners it might as well say "In Allah We Trust".

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2576845.cms

Quote:
NEW YORK/ DUBAI: Citigroup is selling up to 4.9% of itself for $7.5 billion to the Gulf Arab Emirate of Abu Dhabi, giving the largest US bank fresh capital as it wrestles with the subprime mortgage crisis and the resignation of its chief executive.

The capital injection will shore up Citi’s balance sheet, which has been hurt by some $6.8 billion of writedowns and losses in Q3, and the potential for another $11 billion in the fourth quarter.

Citi is paying a high price for the capital injection by selling mandatory convertible securities to Abu Dhabi, which pay a fixed coupon of 11%. That is above the average yield on the US junk bonds, which is 9.4%, according to Merrill Lynch data. Analysts at Royal Bank of Scotland said in a note that Citigroup was paying a “high price”, but that the convertible notes would help boost the bank’s core capital.

The sale to the $650-billion Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund, may also signal the freefall in the US financial stocks is close to ending, analysts said. “Citi is big, it’s widely followed, and when people see confidence in it, it should mean something,” said Bo Brownstein, an analyst covering financial stocks at Cambiar Investors in Denver, Colorado. The dollar rose against the yen on the news, and
Quote:
Family-ruled Abu Dhabi will be Citi’s largest shareholder. The investment reflects the increasing financial might of oil-producing countries, which have benefited from a five-fold increase in the price of crude oil during the past six years. Gulf investors have announced more than $70 billion of foreign acquisitions this year, more than in the previous two years combined. Dubai International Capital, a private equity firm owned by the ruler of Dubai, said on Monday it made a “substantial investment” in Sony, while a separate Abu Dhabi entity earlier this month bought a $622 million stake in the US-based chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices.
Quote:
Gulf investors such as the state-owned Investment Corporation of Dubai have expressed interest in taking advantage of plummeting US financial stock prices to buy.
i wonder why?

are the muslim nations gonna sit back and collect interest on the debt we incur with a trillion dollar war as we continue to buy their oil?

talk about putting a fire out with gasoline...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Nah, no need. I'm not a real atheist. I was just curious as to why the thread died. It WAS intellectually stimulating, though. Arguing from the opposing viewpoint is absolutely the best way to understand and empathize with your opponent, and the less structured the format (i.e. internet message board) the better!

I do have part 3 if you want to read it sometime. I think I even have the latticework of what was going to be part 4 lying around here somewhere.

Actually, I was posting to AD.

When the season is over, the thread will be revived, least that is my plan.