Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default TIMMONS

First off, I was a little surprised to see MN that it seemed all the LBs played. Both Timmons and A. Harrison made plays, which is great. I wonder was this a rotation to give guys a break, for whatever reason, or planned. Did anyone get nicked (Haggans?), I don't recall seeing Woodley can anyone comment.

Now about Timmons. I'm sure everyone saw him step on Ricky after the fumble. When I first saw it, and even after on the replays, it looked innocent. After further review, and seeing it again yesterday, it sure looked like he meant it. To me it looked like he stepped on Ricky to keep him down and then jump on the ball.

I must say that I absolutely love the thought that this kid can have a mean streak like that in him. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I saw it.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736
Default Re: TIMMONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
First off, I was a little surprised to see MN that it seemed all the LBs played. Both Timmons and A. Harrison made plays, which is great. I wonder was this a rotation to give guys a break, for whatever reason, or planned. Did anyone get nicked (Haggans?), I don't recall seeing Woodley can anyone comment.

Now about Timmons. I'm sure everyone saw him step on Ricky after the fumble. When I first saw it, and even after on the replays, it looked innocent. After further review, and seeing it again yesterday, it sure looked like he meant it. To me it looked like he stepped on Ricky to keep him down and then jump on the ball.

I must say that I absolutely love the thought that this kid can have a mean streak like that in him. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I saw it.
I hope I misunderstood you. Are you hoping that Timmons stepped on Williams intentionally? If I misunderstood you I apolgize in advance.

Michael
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

He didnt step on him on purpose. He was going after the ball...Im just glad he got the ball.....
I would like to see him get some more playing time......
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I ran it back and definatley don't think he intentionally stepped on Williams. His eyes (Facemask anyway) were locked on the ball. He was just trying to get to the ball at all costs.

He played great when he was in. Pressure, tackles, he has been playing well of ST all year... I have hated people that talk down about him since he was drafted. The kid was a playmaker in college and once he gets his chance he will make the most of it. Just look at the fumble recovery.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
I hope I misunderstood you. Are you hoping that Timmons stepped on Williams intentionally? If I misunderstood you I apolgize in advance.

Michael
Sorry MK, but no you did not mistake my quote.

"I must say that I absolutely love the thought that this kid can have a mean streak like that in him."

Let's not sugarcoat things. The majority of HOF's had a serious mean streak in them, at least the defensive players. Some of the best and most beloved Steelers players had IT also, Lloyd and our beloved Lambert come to mind immediately. How about Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Night Train Lane, Lawrence Taylor and to an extent Mean Joe Green.

Beyond that I thought Timmons looked fast and strong coming off the edge. I would like to discuss what others saw in the younger guys while they were on the field.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Sorry MK, but no you did not mistake my quote.

"I must say that I absolutely love the thought that this kid can have a mean streak like that in him."

Let's not sugarcoat things. The majority of HOF's had a serious mean streak in them, at least the defensive players. Some of the best and most beloved Steelers players had IT also, Lloyd and our beloved Lambert come to mind immediately. How about Dick Butkus, Deacon Jones, Night Train Lane, Lawrence Taylor and to an extent Mean Joe Green.

Beyond that I thought Timmons looked fast and strong coming off the edge. I would like to discuss what others saw in the younger guys while they were on the field.
Players can have a mean streak without going beyond the lines. Timmons didn't step on Williams purposely. And I am very gald he didn't.

As far as his play, he came in on 3rd downs and looked very instinctive IMO. It was difficult to judge his playing speed due to the field conditions. "Everyone ran a 4.8 Monday night". - Joey Porter.

Woodley was injured and didn't play.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
SteelStealth
Water Boy

Member Number: 7711

Woodly was out.

" I am not competitive...I am intense." ~ Diane Chambers (Shelley Long, Cheers)
SteelStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I dont think it was intentional, and no way do I hope it was. That is not part of the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

DACEB:

Ok I am going to join up with you on what I think we are both looking for: I am a big time advocate of bringing back the mental toughness and spirit of Joe Greene, LLoyd, Lambert, Kevin Greene, Flowers, Donnie Shell , and most recently Joey porter. et al. YOu can check my posts as I feel like a voice in the wilderness crying out this team needs on the field emotional mental toughness. I personally believe it is one of the factors missing on this team there are a few others of course and you know what they are.

Back to Timmons. Is he the future tough guy leader. I have no idea at this juncture.

Is he physically gifted. Absolutely. He was a great high school player and more importantly very athletic. He is very young and did not play much college ball. he has all the skills to be dominant.

I have seen highlight films on him and they are very impressive. He drives right through the ball carrier when he tackles; in short he cracks guys. He has the toughness, no doubt there.. Reportedly loves to play the game .

He moves well in every direction. Comming off the edge and penetrating. I have not seen enough but earlier in the year I saw him taken out very easily. Way too early and not eough data to conclude that he is weak in this area. What I do see is that rare ability to close the gap FAST. Troy has this gift, Rod Woodson had it and I remember earlier in his Career Woodson was so able to close the gap that he could make a mistake and recover like no one I saw. Anoterh point to keep in mind Troy asa rookie looked lost when he did play and I was wondering about this guy.

I think we can hope and it would be nice if Timmons becomes a factor this year as we need some help to advance into the play offs. If I had to guess he won't be unless injuries occur. He could be a role player. I think he will be established as a starter during the off season for 2008. Is Haggens gone? Depends upon the money demand.

We have so little to go on. Question for you . Whats your take on his special teams play . I personally do not hear his name or see him in on many plays. Do you?

In conclusion I think we have a desperate need for on the field toughness and it better happen begining now. If we do not have this leadership go out and get it either in the draft or FA. In my opinion it is missing at this moment.

Michael
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

If you watch the replay of it. You will see after he hurdled the lineman that he had two spots he could possible bring is foot down one was on James Harrison other was on Ricky and go after the fumble. Of course he is not going to step on his own player if he does not have to. Players get stepped on every game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80492479
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote