Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Joe Pa's Pay

Although I've known it for years, I have to say it again - Joe Pa is truly one-of-a-kind and a dying breed. This is chump change compared to what a lot of less-deserving coaches in the NCAA are getting.

Quote:
Penn State Coach Joe Paterno's Salary - More Than $500,000 -- Finally Revealed

By MARTHA RAFFAELE, Associated Press Writer
November 29, 2007

AP - Nov 29, 4:58 pm EST

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- Joe Paterno's salary is no longer one of the most closely guarded secrets in college sports. The Penn State coach will earn more than $500,000 this year.

The State Employees' Retirement System released Paterno's salary Thursday, more than a week after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that his salary and those of other top Penn State officials are public information.

Paterno was paid $427,220 in the first 10 months of 2007 -- putting his year-end salary on track to be $512,664. He was paid $490,638 last year, according to the retirement system.

"I'm paid well. I'm not overpaid," Paterno said earlier in the day, during an interview with reporters about his upcoming College Football Hall of Fame induction. "I got all the money I need."

But it's not even close to what some other big-name coaches are making. Alabama's Nick Saban is the highest paid coach at $4 million per year, while Oklahoma's Bob Stoops makes over $3 million. Ohio State's Jim Tressel, Florida's Urban Meyer and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier make upward of $2 million annually.

Many coaches receive substantial bonuses or outside income, but the retirement system data did not show other forms of compensation.

Paterno acknowledged Thursday he makes more money than is reflected in the retirement system's figures. But he didn't specify how much.

The disclosure of Paterno's salary was forced by The Patriot News in Harrisburg, which asked the retirement system nearly five years ago to release the salaries of Paterno and three other school officials.

Penn State, which had refused to make the information public, also opposed the release by the retirement system on the grounds that it would be unfair to the affected employees and might hurt morale or make it more difficult to recruit and retain talent.

The legal wrangling ended last week, when the state Supreme Court upheld a lower court order to release the information. The justices said the lower court properly balanced the public's right against the effects the disclosure might have on reputations and personal security.

Paterno, 80, has been head coach for 42 years, a record for major college football. He holds records for bowl appearances (33) and postseason wins (22). His 371 total victories put him two behind Florida State's Bobby Bowden for most among major college coaches.

A 2006 comparison by USA Today showed that Big Ten coaches' salaries ranged from $231,000 at Purdue to $2.8 million at Iowa.

The retirement system disclosed Paterno's salary after receiving a formal notice from Penn State that officials would not appeal the high court's ruling.

"We still feel the same way we felt previously -- employees have a fundamental right to confidential financial information," Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon said. "It's unfortunate that thousands of them no longer have that confidentiality."

Paterno said his first contract for head coach in 1966 was for $20,000.

"It bothers me that people have to know what I make," he told reporters. "What difference does it make what I make, all right? I don't know what you guys make."

Associated Press writer Genaro Armas contributed to this report from State College, Pa.
Paterno's Salary Revealed
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Joe Pa's Pay

Such as those at the SEC Schools such as Alabama and Indys such as Notre Dame.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I can't wait until the old fart retires...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i would like to see what duke pays coach K b/c we know duke doesnt have a football program..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
I can't wait until the old fart retires...lol
Hey, hey, hey - watch it bud. I'm a PSU grad.

JoePa is paid peanuts in comparison to what some of the other coaches around the NCAA are paid who don't make a hair on his doopa. Joe is a living legend and the Nitt Lions won't ever have a HC like him again.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

JoePa is paid peanuts in comparison to what some of the other coaches around the NCAA are paid who don't make a hair on his doopa. Joe is a living legend and the Nitt Lions won't ever have a HC like him again.
Might we also add I'm might go to Penn State in the future for my college schooling. and Penn State is my Dad's Alma mater.

Yeah, Nick Saban makes over 4 Million and Jim Tressel makes 2 million. So how in the world is Joe Pa in that rich class tax bracket?

Last edited by SteelCityMan786; 11-30-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:

My Dad went to PSU also and has a man crush on JoePa....I can't stand JoePa...I'm sorry I swear my Dad loves him more then me....lol Plus I just flat out hate Penn State.......I grew up rooting for the Pitt teams and Michigan football.... Since I was born/live in Big 10 country...I started rooting for Michigan in the Big 10 ever since the Elvis Grbac days...Whats funny also even as a Michigan fan I hated Tom Brady when he played at Michigan....lol

I also should note....I live close to South Bend and have to put up with Notre Dame fans.....Most of my friends love the Irish....I rooted for Michigan just to tick them off also...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
I grew up rooting for the Pitt teams and Michigan football....
I still root for Pitt teams and when I was in college and Pitt was playing PSU, I silently hoped Pitt would win. That doesn't mean that I didn't have an enormous amount of respect for Coach Paterno. I admire his dedication to the PSU football program which has spanned 57 years (both as an assistant and as a HC), as well as his winning tradition. Can't argue about a man who has posted a 371-125-3 record!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
I still root for Pitt teams and when I was in college and Pitt was playing PSU, I silently hoped Pitt would win. That doesn't mean that I didn't have an enormous amount of respect for Coach Paterno. I admire his dedication to the PSU football program which has spanned 57 years (both as an assistant and as a HC), as well as his winning tradition. Can't argue about a man who has posted a 371-125-3 record!
TRADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

It's just something Pitt fans are jealous of. No coaching stability. Since Walt left, that program has been in shambles.