Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default In their own words (The 2007 Pittsburgh Steelers Offense)

Note: This will require some reading.

I’ve seen a lot of wild speculation, some knee jerk reaction, and some of what can only be called plain old fashioned ignorance about our offense and some of the problems and challenges they’ve faced this year. I think it’s time someone correlated some information and put it all in one place. It’s a bit primer, a bit exposition, and a bit analysis. It’s MOSTLY going to be the words of others, not my own.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_510239.html
Expanding playbook, spreading the field, Ward as slot. (Note: The Steelers wanted to improve from 6th on 3rd down conversions, and they have. They are currently tied for 2nd at 49%)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07038/759984-66.stm
BRAND NEW PLAYBOOK!!! This is huge! Arians helps with offensive line (and the scheme has definitely changed)

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10269503
“Arians does as well, but there will be many new wrinkles added to the offense to help liven up the passing game. He will use no-huddle, giving Ben Roethlisberger freedom at the line of scrimmage to change the play. Arians also plans to use more four-receiver sets on first and second downs, and will employ some three-tight-end formations.”

"It will be a little different than what the Colts do since I don't want him to sit there and decipher, decipher, decipher," Arians said. "It's easy to get a play, go with that, and check it off at the last second. That's what he will do. He has the ability to audible to good plays."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ger-camp_N.htm
It's required some adjustment. "We're starting to jell a little bit, understand things a little more," said Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca. "It gets real easy when you're running the same running plays for nine years. I could tell you where the running back is going to run before we even snapped the ball. That comfort level is gone."

Arians will give Roethlisberger the kind of autonomy quarterbacks crave. He can change plays, snap counts — pretty much anything he wants to do."We don't want him to be a robot," Arians said. "I'm not going to call all good plays. I want him to get me out of the bad ones."As part of this relationship, last winter the two sat together and banged out the new playbook's terminology."What he wants to call things," Arians said. "Because this is his offense; it ain't mine."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07204/803737-66.stm
"Back in March and April, he spent a lot of time with me and helped me write some of these things up that we're going to change," Arians said. Roethlisberger and Arians crafted a larger role for the Steelers' quarterback in the new playbook."He's always had good control of what he's doing, we're just asking him to do more," Arians said. "We're expanding his role. He embraced it. He's spent a lot of time at it."The increased role for Roethlisberger includes more planned use of the no-huddle offense, more use of three and four receivers on first and second downs with the quarterback under center and not in the shotgun, and more freedom for him to change the blocking protection and the play at the line of scrimmage.
"The sacks can't be attributed strictly to the offensive line because so many times a receiver might have missed a hot while the line blocked all the guys. Or the quarterback might have missed it, or a running back might have missed a block. So, it's a three-pronged attack when you're talking about sacks."
Arians praised the blocking for the running game last season. Willie Parker rushed for 1,494 yards, third-most in team history. But Arians acknowledged that the offensive line overall did not play up to expectations.
"No, we were not as good as a group as the year before," Arians said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
GAME PLAN
Offense: The team will miss coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, who brought the running game back to Pittsburgh and introduced a sense of balance to the offense. The promotion of wide receivers coach Bruce Arians to the role likely will mean additional production from the passing game and more reliance on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Arians wants to condense the playbook to allow Roethlisberger and the receivers more time to work on specific plays.

There is a ton of information in these articles, but the bottom line remains: We have a new HC, a new OLC, a new OC, and a brand new playbook, not to mention a new blocking scheme. Some of what Arians promised he has delivered, and some hasn’t happened yet. It’s clear that Ben is calling more plays than some of you would like to acknowledge. Arians is on record as saying the OL is not as good as last year’s unit. Man, it’s all right here. But the positives are here, too. We are 2nd in the league in rushing O. We are 22nd in the league in passing, but we are also 31st in attempts. That means we are a rushing football team, maybe even more so than under Cowher, but even with all these changes we still have the #1 defense in the league and we are 8-3. Considering all the changes, we should be much worse off than we are.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579
Default Re: In their own words (The 2007 Pittsburgh Steelers Offense)

wow it took me like a LONG time to read all of it
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'm impressed. You read all 6 linked articles in less than 9 minutes.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

great compilation. im pretty happy with the offense. our o-line has taken quite a bashing. theyre not bad players but they are kinda like square pegs in a round hole.

you always hear in the draft a higher rated player being passed up for a player who more fits the "scheme".

most of our linemen were drafted to protect a scrambling option qb with a pounding running back and fb. now we have a pounding qb with a scrambling running back. while we are in the midst of an overhaul, im not sure if a total one is needed or just a little more tweaking and patience (beginning with the departure of faneca).

until then i buy the line of being a work in progress.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
geo123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7778

I'd like to see a few more passes down field. I always liked that when Bradshaw was the QB. I know Ben has the arm for it. Also dropping back an extra step or two might get him more time.
I'd also like to see a couple of trick plays; maybe a direct snp to a RB.
geo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
great compilation. im pretty happy with the offense. our o-line has taken quite a bashing. theyre not bad players but they are kinda like square pegs in a round hole.
It makes it kinda hard to rip into them for such poor play because they aren't bad per se just not very good. Simmons ran into health issues. Max is a likable guy from what I could tell when I ran into him at the Pro Bowl. But they are not children either and they get paid well.

The one guy who is absent from this topic perhaps might shed some more light on his departure. Bill Cowher's resignation looks more like he jumped ship now. And learning after he jumped that Cowher left a legacy playbook that would become enshrined by pack rats everywhere has left Arians the job of cleaning the decks and trimming the sails while plugging the holes in the keel.

Right now. Bruce. Just get the ship back to port.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

im still not comfortable, i need to see a good offensive production against the horrible cincy D. if we dont score at least 30 or have about 400 or more total offensive yards im not sure if i will trust us to even win the division. if the browns dont lose a game at least we wont get the division, unless we win the 3 that we are supposed to win and win either against the jags or pats, no other option.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
geo123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7778

I agree i'd like to see more offense. 30 points sounds good to me; I think asking for 400 yards is streatching it. I'd be happy with 300.
geo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

30 points 300-400 yards.....

Where are the days of being happy with a win?
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
30 points 300-400 yards.....

Where are the days of being happy with a win?
I don't care if we only have 50 yards, as long as we win.