Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default O-line misses Russ

I am currently watching the Arizona / Browns game and the Cards online is doing a really good job. They also run a single back with lots of three wide receiver sets. Edge is running the ball well and Warner is having decent game (only sacked once). James is about to go over a hundred yards. The Cards are doing what the Steelers used to do at the end of games running the ball and using up the clock.

I don't think its lack of play on the O-line it may just be fundamentals and having a really good o-line coach. Not that we don't but everyone knows what Russ brings to the table.

Heres a thought Alan Faneca Doesn't leave the Steelers next year but stays on as the o-line coach. After so many years his knowledge would be well appreciated.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: O-line misses Russ

I agreed until you said Alan Faneca as our o line coach. You were joking right? The guy still wants to play( and get paid). He still has some years left in him.

But yeah, the o line may be missing a good o line coach, not necessarily Russ Grimm
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDogFan View Post
I am currently watching the Arizona / Browns game and the Cards online is doing a really good job. They also run a single back with lots of three wide receiver sets. Edge is running the ball well and Warner is having decent game (only sacked once). James is about to go over a hundred yards. The Cards are doing what the Steelers used to do at the end of games running the ball and using up the clock.

I don't think its lack of play on the O-line it may just be fundamentals and having a really good o-line coach. Not that we don't but everyone knows what Russ brings to the table.

Heres a thought Alan Faneca Doesn't leave the Steelers next year but stays on as the o-line coach. After so many years his knowledge would be well appreciated.
Other than last drive for the FG I did not see a lot of power blocking from the Cards.

What I did see were numerous motion penalties and several blatant holding penalties..

The only way Russ was staying was as HC, which IMO would have been a disaster.

You can't coach players to be talented and Mahan, Starks, Simmons & Colon are nobody's Pro Bowl candidates. The O-line was horrible last year too.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The O-line was horrible last year too.
I couldnt agree with you more. I think people forget how bad then run blocking and passing was last year. It didnt really hurt my feelings to see grimm and whiz go
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:

maybe the steelers will make him assistant head coach.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I couldnt agree with you more. I think people forget how bad then run blocking and passing was last year. It didnt really hurt my feelings to see grimm and whiz go
Yup. I've frequently wondered this year if Grimm's departure has hurt our o-line's play. But then I remember that Grimm was here last year when the o-line also stunk it up.

In retrospect, this might have been at least one of the reasons Tomlin beat out Grimm for the HC job. Why give someone a promotion when his unit did a poor job?
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

when grimm was here the protection was poor and the running game was not consistent. the O-line has been on the decline for 5 years.

anyone see simmons get schooled on the "almost safety"? that was simmons at his best.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Grimm's a BUM!
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Other than last drive for the FG I did not see a lot of power blocking from the Cards.

What I did see were numerous motion penalties and several blatant holding penalties..

The only way Russ was staying was as HC, which IMO would have been a disaster.

You can't coach players to be talented and Mahan, Starks, Simmons & Colon are nobody's Pro Bowl candidates. The O-line was horrible last year too.
Grimm's offensive line run blocking did not impress me . You can only coach to the level of talent you have. Howevr last night's pass protection was encouraging. Starks for whatever reason unknown to me looked sharp. As the columinst Harris said in his todays' column the Steelers are WORK IN PROGRESS.

They must get better and must get consistent and it is not unrealstic to expect this from this team. We are probably going to learn a great about our Steelers in our next game. We have everything to gain in this game and very little to lose.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
are u kidding? he's got at least 4 or 5 years left in him... he'd freak if we asked him to come back as a coach