Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default look at possible nfl coaching changes

Taking a look at possible coaching changes I think the carousel could spin in several circles this season. Here is my list of possibilities.

1. Mike Nolan, San francisco 49ers. I believe that Nolan has really underachieved with the roster he has. The niners were one of the most active teams during free agency last offseason. with a career record so far of 14-30 with the niners there cant be much of an arguement for Nolan to be retained.

2. Marvin Lewis. Cinci Bengals. Where do I begin.. Whether it be his 39-37 record with a decent roster or it be his drafting of the gridiron gang I dont see much arguement how you can keep Lewis. Outside of the 11-5 season he had in 2005 lewis has been a big loser.

3. Rod Marinelli, Detroit Lions. I think this one depends on how the lions finish their season, And whether or not Matt millen finally gets the boot. With the cowboys,chargers, chiefs and packers remaining there is a strong possibility that the could lose out. So kitna prediction of a 10-6 season could easily flip flop into a 6-10 season.

4. John Fox, Carolina Panthers. While Jake delhomme has been injured and david carr has been such a bust it has forced him to go with 44 year old vinny testaverde, you would still expect more then a 4-8 team with a solid running game and a great defense. John fox does only have 2 winning season in the six seasons he has been there.

5. Scott Linehan, St Louis Rams. I think Linehan should easily be given another year considering he started the season without jackson and bulger. but a 3-9 season might be unacceptable under the Rams eyes.

6. Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens. Getting called out by a team leader doesnt help any coaches case. Career coaching record with Ravens 79-60 not a bad record but has had underacheived.

7. Lane Kiffin, Oakland Raiders. The only way I see this happening is if he bolts for a college job.

8. Norv Turner, San Diego Chargers.I think this depends on how the chargers finish out. But with a roster like this, this team should have win at least 11 games
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: look at possible nfl coaching changes

I've heard that Al Davis is thinking about letting Kiffin go to a college job so he can bring back John Madden :P
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I've heard that Al Davis is thinking about letting Kiffin go to a college job so he can bring back John Madden :P
I could see him doing something smart like that.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I know, with Davis that could actually happen - That's why it's funny... I doubt Madden would come back though lol... Highley... They may have to revoke his HOF membership after a couple 2 - 14 seasons...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Could the dolphins let go Cameron after just one season.....

I would, he just doesn't seem like a Head Coach. I mean, Tomlin doesn't show the emotion we were used to with Cowher, but when you see Cameron it's like he's dead, he doesn't even seem to be thinking on the field.

Maybe the fins should downgrade him to offensive coordinator.....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I believe Lewis and Billick will each get one more year to turn things around.

Norv Turner was a very good OC but sucks as a HC. That guy is just plain booooooooring. Marty was somewhat vanilla but I feel he was a much better HC all the way around.

Lewis and Turner are two examples of my strong belief that just because a guy has success as either an OC or a DC, it doesn't make them a good HC. Dick Lebeau is living proof of that.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Taking a look at possible coaching changes I think the carousel could spin in several circles this season. Here is my list of possibilities.

1. Mike Nolan, San francisco 49ers. I believe that Nolan has really underachieved with the roster he has. The niners were one of the most active teams during free agency last offseason. with a career record so far of 14-30 with the niners there cant be much of an arguement for Nolan to be retained.

despite nice young and often injured talent, nolans roster pretty much sucks no matter how much money they threw at it in the off season. this is the 49ers and they have been pretty much awful since young/garcia and T.O. left

2. Marvin Lewis. Cinci Bengals. Where do I begin.. Whether it be his 39-37 record with a decent roster or it be his drafting of the gridiron gang I dont see much arguement how you can keep Lewis. Outside of the 11-5 season he had in 2005 lewis has been a big loser.

he sucks and has no business keeping his job. in his defense his roster is lame and overrated (much to marvins fault)

3. Rod Marinelli, Detroit Lions. I think this one depends on how the lions finish their season, And whether or not Matt millen finally gets the boot. With the cowboys,chargers, chiefs and packers remaining there is a strong possibility that the could lose out. So kitna prediction of a 10-6 season could easily flip flop into a 6-10 season.

no o-line to pretect the qb. roster has holes everywhere. trading d. bly for t. bell??? how does a new coach do much better to this point?

4. John Fox, Carolina Panthers. While Jake delhomme has been injured and david carr has been such a bust it has forced him to go with 44 year old vinny testaverde, you would still expect more then a 4-8 team with a solid running game and a great defense. John fox does only have 2 winning season in the six seasons he has been there.

a great defense? maybe in 03. peppers has gone the rout of kearse and porter this year. carolina defense has been an injured disappointment since the SB. fox is regarded as a really good coach. pretty amazing he got the panthers in sb contention in the 1st place.

5. Scott Linehan, St Louis Rams. I think Linehan should easily be given another year considering he started the season without jackson and bulger. but a 3-9 season might be unacceptable under the Rams eyes.

blaming linehan for the rams o-line woes is would be like the rooneys blaming tomlin for the steelers o-line.

6. Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens. Getting called out by a team leader doesnt help any coaches case. Career coaching record with Ravens 79-60 not a bad record but has had underacheived.

deserves to be fired but wont be. better coaches may be let go this season who were never given the multiple chances billicks ring has earned.

7. Lane Kiffin, Oakland Raiders. The only way I see this happening is if he bolts for a college job.

says he wants to stay. unless it is art shell or possibly norv turner i dont think any HC shouls be fired after only 1 year. art and norv were raider coaches. who knows what will happen, but i think kiffen has breathed some life into the franchise and that should go recognized.

8. Norv Turner, San Diego Chargers.I think this depends on how the chargers finish out. But with a roster like this, this team should have win at least 11 games

i do think the chargers "great talent ALL across the board" is a bit overrated but norv and his team is still a big disappointment. could be the same syndrome of the 05 steelers off their sb with the coaching distractions.

these are definitely the 8 hottest seats. not all of them should be fired. some who should will be kept and those who probably shouldnt might be shown the door.

it sure is nice to have 100% blind faith when the steelers hire a HC.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

1. I think Nolan will be given another year. I can actually see him finishing out his contract.

2. Marvin Lewis needs to be released. However, I do not know who would take his place...much less who would want to take his place.

3. Rod Marinelli has a joke of a GM above him. I think he's given another year. This team needs to be big players in FA for an offensive lineman and/or a DB. That's also what they need to focus their draft on...however Millen will take another WR.

4. I like John Fox as a HC. It seems when he has a bad season, his team is decimated by injuries. I think he gets another year. However, I think the intrigue of Bill Cowher will be on ownerships mind. If Cowher signals he wants to come back to the NFL, Fox could be gone.

5. If they Rams fire Linehan, they are idiots. Jackson has been hurt and out most of the year, and Bulger has been hurt a lot too. It doesn't help that he walked into an offensive line that wasn't very good to begin with, and then Orlando Pace goes down for the season. I don't see him getting fired, especially if the Rams win out.

6. It will cost them too much to fire Billick after they just extended him. But I expect him to go 0-6 in the AFC North after we beat them on the 30th. If this happens, he'll have next year to make up for it or he's gone.

7. Lane Kiffin has lead the Raiders to their first two-game win streak in what seems like forever. I think he's the real deal and just needs time. This roster is full of guys that just aren't any good. That can't be fixed in one season.

8. Norv Turner is aweful. He's lucky that the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders are so bad this year. He'll get the heave-hoe when the Chargers are one-and-done in the playoffs.

Others:

I think Cam Cameron is gone after just one year. I don't think this Miami team is gonna win a game, and that's just unacceptable to thier owner. He just doesn't have it.

Joe Gibbs might leave. I don't think Snyder would fire him, but I think he could retire after this season.

Bobby Petrino might leave to go back to college football. He walked into the Falcons and ended up having his star QB, Michael Vick, go to trial and then cop to dogfighting charges. Vick then fails a drug test before trial starts. Vick is also facing charges from the state of Virginia. The Falcons will end up with a very large salary-cap hit when they do finally cut Vick. However, on the flip side, he will be in position to draft a QB that fits his offense a whole lot better than Vick ever would have....the kid he coached at Loisville, Brian Brohm.

Brad Childress isn't on the hot seat, but could be next year. But you never know, if a more enticing option is up for grabs, their owner might bite and go after that person.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
patsdynasty
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1162

I know it's a little early, but what about Bill Cowher in Miami? They need a big time coach. He would bring them instant credibility and sell a ton of tickets. That would buy them a few years to rebuild. They are going to go 0-16, Somebody's head is going to have to roll.
patsdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The only two who even could get fired are Billick and Lewis. Billick might be able to hang on because he won a Super Bowl. Marvin Lewis should be fired 15 minutes after the Bengals last game this year.