Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617
Default Is it me, or am I prejudiced?

Are the officiating crews getting worse in the NFL or is it my imagination.

They had to figure out the field goal in the browns game because they didn't bother to watch the ball go through the uprights.

Then in theAZ game a person can plainly see the ref was only watching Winslows feet and not the play. He went up to catch the ball 2 to 3 feet inbounds and was pushed out of bounds but the ref was only watching the feet and not the play.

When is the NFL going to do something about the officiating or do they need more bottle games?

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Is it me, or am I prejudice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroysBadDawg View Post
Are the officiating crews getting worse in the NFL or is it my imagination.

They had to figure out the field goal in the browns game because they didn't bother to watch the ball go through the uprights.

Then in theAZ game a person can plainly see the ref was only watching Winslows feet and not the play. He went up to catch the ball 2 to 3 feet inbounds and was pushed out of bounds but the ref was only watching the feet and not the play.

When is the NFL going to do something about the officiating or do they need more bottle games?
The officiating in that game yesterday was horrible, but I think the Cards got screwed over more than the Browns did. Just being honest!

P.S. I think Winslow would have come down on the 1/2 yard line and time had expired, so it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Yeah, the game was poorly officiated. But the calls were going against the Cards. Sean Jones pick was not a pick, and the Braylon Edwards call was as bad as the Troy Int call against the Colts in the '05 playoffs. I mean it was clear as day that he was down, and somehow the refs missed it? I smell a conspiracy.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Watching that replay at first I agreed with everyone else that it was a bad call... Then I got to looking at when Winslow controlled the ball. By the time he actually had possesion the ball was outside the pylon... Now this may seem irrelevant at first thought, but there has been a rule change this year that the ball actually has to be inside the pylon, not just a part of the body anymore for it to be a touchdown. Therefore, it wasn't a touchdown. Go back and replay that and I think you would see that I atleast have a little bit of something to think about here. Overall with officiating you are right though. I saw a few blocks in the back last night that were not called on both the Steelers and Bengals as well as quite a few personal fouls that the Bungles committed that were not called... Yet when Kendell Simmons nudges a Bengal it's half the distance... ><
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

I think the calls have always been this way. We're just getting better views of plays now with high speed cameras. If you guys watch baseball, they will sometimes show the strike box and where the ball passed by it. Sometimes you wonder what the umpire was looking at.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts

It was just a bad crew. Before the Winslow catch, Dierdorf said a Browns INT at the end of the first half and Edwards being ruled not down by contact on his TD should have been reversed - neither were.

FWIW I thought the holding call on the Bengals that negated the safety was sketchy + Ben did not get in on his TD (shame on Marvin for no challenge).

Let's see what the Pats-Steelers refs have in store for us.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

The Browns got every call in that game except for the last one. It should have never come down to that play so I don't want to hear any crying from Browns fans.

As far as Ben getting in the endzone, it was almost the same situation as the SB. The ball broke the plane while he was in the air the instant before he was hit and in turn hit the ground. Its called forward progress for all the Seahag fans that don't know the rules. I only make reference to the Seasqawks because our boy Rich Eisen mentioned it AGAIN last night during his recap of the game.....Poor Seattle, still living in the past. lol
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

With all due respect, TBD, I'm really not interested in hearing any whining about that call when the Browns were the beneficiaries of 2 horrible replay calls earlier in the game.

I will say though that that was the worst officiated game I've seen all year, all around. Someone mentioned that maybe they'd be better if the league made them full-time officials - I agree with that. It may not be the cure-all, as some refs are just horrible and nothing could improve them, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Yeah, the game was poorly officiated. But the calls were going against the Cards. Sean Jones pick was not a pick, and the Braylon Edwards call was as bad as the Troy Int call against the Colts in the '05 playoffs. I mean it was clear as day that he was down, and somehow the refs missed it?
I sincerely hope that the same Ref is not offerred a chance to officiate the play offs! He sucked something awful before that game!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I think the calls have always been this way. We're just getting better views of plays now with high speed cameras. If you guys watch baseball, they will sometimes show the strike box and where the ball passed by it. Sometimes you wonder what the umpire was looking at.
As much as I HATE to agree with a pats fan...

In hockey, the refs, when reffing Major Junior hockey, only see about 60 percent (according to a ref I know). In the pros, they only see about 35 to 40 percent. The reason is because those boys are so big and so fast.

Now bring that to football... you have 22 people on the field. They two are VERY fast.. and VERY VERY big.

We have cameras that take a wide view, and people reviewing and reviewing it. But the refs, with the game live, trying to look through those bodies... well, I can understand some blown calls.

I thought last nights game between the Steelers and the Bengals was well ref'd when it was all said and done.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote