Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775
Default HINES sealed his HOF ballot!

First off CONGRATS Hines! MOST TD RECEPTIONS IN STEELER HISTORY!You now have shown many doubters that you're far from declining. I for one would have to say Hines is the glue that holds us together. Nobody else would take the shots and blocks he does as a reciever. He will now be a lock for the HOF(I think he was already, but nothing wrong with a little extra gravy). He is our modern legend and with what he does for the community makes him even a greater asset to the Pittsburgh Family!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: HINES sealed his HOF ballot!

Comparing the number of TD catches this decade with TD catches in the 70s and 80is is entirely different.

In addition, IMO Swann & Stallworth got in as part of a team that won 4 SBs and not for their stats.

Hines will be a hard sell for the HOF.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Comparing the number of TD catches this decade with TD catches in the 70s and 80is is entirely different.

In addition, IMO Swann & Stallworth got in as part of a team that won 4 SBs and not for their stats.

Hines will be a hard sell for the HOF.
You really think so? Some of the voters came out with some piece last year on most likley players to be voted into HOF activley playing and Hines was in the top 15 or 20 I think...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
You really think so? Some of the voters came out with some piece last year on most likley players to be voted into HOF activley playing and Hines was in the top 15 or 20 I think...
Art Monk was a possession receiver on 3 Redskins SB teams that focused on a power running game on offense and is still waiting to get in. Hines has a similar role with the Steelers and may face similar problems.

Hines has had a long and productive career but I recall has only made second team All Pro once (2003). With the stats receivers work up these days I think it will be hard to sell Hines based on catches + blocking skills - not minimizing how important Hines has been to the Steelers, just saying it is not a Hall Of The Very Good.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I disagree. Hell, even Madden, that lifelong hater of all things Steeler, said Hines deserves to get in because he is such a complete football player.

He's put up solid numbers over the years for a team that will always be known as "run first", and he's still got a little gas in the tank. I try to be a little non-homer when it comes to the HOF (unpopularly saying I don't think Kevin Greene should get in for being too one-dimensional), but I definitely see both Bettis and Ward being the 2 stone cold HOF locks from the '05 championship team.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

a second super bowl MVP would put hines over the hump! that's what i want.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Art Monk was a possession receiver on 3 Redskins SB teams that focused on a power running game on offense and is still waiting to get in. Hines has a similar role with the Steelers and may face similar problems.

Hines has had a long and productive career but I recall has only made second team All Pro once (2003). With the stats receivers work up these days I think it will be hard to sell Hines based on catches + blocking skills - not minimizing how important Hines has been to the Steelers, just saying it is not a Hall Of The Very Good.
I understand what you are saying but Monk was a peculiar case. I think Hines will get in with pretty uncontestable fashion when all is said and done.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I disagree. Hell, even Madden, that lifelong hater of all things Steeler, said Hines deserves to get in because he is such a complete football player.

He's put up solid numbers over the years for a team that will always be known as "run first", and he's still got a little gas in the tank. I try to be a little non-homer when it comes to the HOF (unpopularly saying I don't think Kevin Greene should get in for being too one-dimensional), but I definitely see both Bettis and Ward being the 2 stone cold HOF locks from the '05 championship team.
I believe Bettis is top 5-7 in yardage for a career. - that is a selling point Hines does not have.

Another example of a Hines type receiver who was a rock for a SB and perennial playoff team was Drew Pearson for the Cowboys, who made All Pro three times, was named to the HOF 70s All Decade team http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_1970s_All-Decade_Team (Swann made it/Stallworth did not)but is still waiting to get into the HOF.

The question is how many WRs from a particular decade make the HOF - Hines will have tough competition to fill those slots.

I am not denigrating Hines, just noting that passing Stallworth, who put up numbers in a less pass happy era and still waited 15 yers to be admitted, is no assurance of anything.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
I am not denigrating Hines, just noting that passing Stallworth, who put up numbers in a less pass happy era and still waited 15 yers to be admitted, is no assurance of anything.
I agree with this wholeheartedly - Stallworth also had 4 SB rings to Hines' 1, as well (and is the main reason he got inducted after a 15-year wait). Hines is going to be going up against the likes of Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, T.O. (even though I can't stand him, he's still a great WR), and to a lesser extent, Randy Moss (his petulance in Oakland is going to cost him as well). Hines simply doesn't have the numbers for me to believe he is going to be a first ballot, or even a second ballot HoFer.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly - Stallworth also had 4 SB rings to Hines' 1, as well (and is the main reason he got inducted after a 15-year wait). Hines is going to be going up against the likes of Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, T.O. (even though I can't stand him, he's still a great WR), and to a lesser extent, Randy Moss (his petulance in Oakland is going to cost him as well). Hines simply doesn't have the numbers for me to believe he is going to be a first ballot, or even a second ballot HoFer.
It's the problem Stallworth faced - the Steelers are just not thought of as a passing team, and the QB and receivers are never going to have gaudy numbers. As I've posted before, I believe that's why Bradshaw is never mentioned as one of the all-time greats, despite four Super Bowl wins and two SB MVPs. People have to be reminded about Bradshaw whenever the discussion comes up, because everyone automatically thinks Marino, Montana, and Elway first.

Hines has some time left to increase his stats (and hopefully win another ring or two!). In my mind, he will be a deserving HOF member by the time he retires, whenever that may be. He's been my favorite Steeler since the first time he played, but personal bias aside, I believe he will at the very least merit serious consideration down the road.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote