Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 AM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Anthony Smith: Good or Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i dont like him back there.... he costs this team a lot.... two weeks in a row unsportsmanlike conduct penaltyies..it can only hurt a team... anyone can dish out a huge hit but how many people can keep their emotions under control?
He has also broken up a NUMBER of BIG passes... gotten into the head of a number of opposing deep threat receivers, etc etc.

If it takes a 15 yard penalty to help get into the guys head... well, so be it.

Do I like the penalties... no. However, even WITH THEM... he tremendously to this team.

Edit: Wow... me know no english!

Lets try that last sentence again.

Do I like the penalties... no. However, even WITH THEM... he tremendously improves this team.

Last edited by Preacher; 12-04-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #22
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I like smith and carter they bring alot of fire to the team on deffense.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 AM   #23
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

I love our attitude in the secondary. As has been stated already, this is the best pass D we've had for a long time and #1 pass D overall. They keep everything in front of them and hit whoever gets the ball. We don't give up the big play, EVER, which means somebody is gonna get HIT. I do agree about the missed tackles with Smith, but I think he'll get better in that regard. We could do without the penalties too, but the overall presence of Anthony Smith is worth the immaturity. He'll overcome that. I love how we make WR's pay for even thinking about catching the ball. If that means a penalty here and there then so be it.

I can't wait to see how our secondary matches up against the Pats passing attack. They're probably gonna pass a lot more than anyone we've played so far, and we're gonna hit them every time. People made so much about how tough Philly's secondary played against the Pats, but the Pats haven't been hit like they're gonna get hit by the Steelers. It'll be interesting to see if we can keep Moss, Welker and Co. in front of us AND make the tackle. If we can do that then there's gonna be some bruised up wide outs in N.E.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #24
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWillieParker39 View Post
Smith I'm actually fine with. It's Carter who I want off the team. He makes one decent play and acts like he jacked up somebody.
smith does the exact samething.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #25
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

I love our safeties, and the combo we've been using (Polamalu/Smith, that is, no offense to Carter)

It seems to me Troy and Ryan Clark are similar players, in that they're smart, calm, mature players that can wrap up tackles. Troy can hit hard, but he hasn't been consistently playing aggressively this year.

Smith and Carter are similar players as well, both are boisterious, hard hitting, emotionally driven guys that can get out of control. Both hit hard, but Anthony Smith has something to him you don't see often. Someone above said anyone can hit hard, and that's true, but Smith does it with abandon, gets involved in every play, and hits hard EVERY tackle, and receivers are starting to see it, just ask TJ

I really respect Ryan Clark, but I don't think Polamalu/Clark was the right compliment, and I don't think Smith and Carter are either. We seem to do amazing when we have the maturity and intelligence of Polamalu backed by the ferociousness of Smith. Overall our secondary's attitude is great, Polamalu and Townsend bring the clarity and focus of experience and understanding, and Taylor and Smith offer intimidating physicality on every play. Intelligence, focus, intimidation, physicality...adds up to one thing: Steelers football!

Oh, and Smith WAS playing bad coverage, but he's getting better fast. As Preacher said, he's only got about eight games of starting experience. I was impressed by his ability to identify when he needs to stay deep and to recognize plays, particularly when he stuck with Chad Johnson all the way, lotta safeties can't get the coverage and speed of one-on-one without drawing a penalty. Looks like Troy or someone is whispering in his ear
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #26
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh_Fever View Post
I love our safeties, and the combo we've been using (Polamalu/Smith, that is, no offense to Carter)

It seems to me Troy and Ryan Clark are similar players, in that they're smart, calm, mature players that can wrap up tackles. Troy can hit hard, but he hasn't been consistently playing aggressively this year.

Smith and Carter are similar players as well, both are boisterious, hard hitting, emotionally driven guys that can get out of control. Both hit hard, but Anthony Smith has something to him you don't see often. Someone above said anyone can hit hard, and that's true, but Smith does it with abandon, gets involved in every play, and hits hard EVERY tackle, and receivers are starting to see it, just ask TJ

I really respect Ryan Clark, but I don't think Polamalu/Clark was the right compliment, and I don't think Smith and Carter are either. We seem to do amazing when we have the maturity and intelligence of Polamalu backed by the ferociousness of Smith. Overall our secondary's attitude is great, Polamalu and Townsend bring the clarity and focus of experience and understanding, and Taylor and Smith offer intimidating physicality on every play. Intelligence, focus, intimidation, physicality...adds up to one thing: Steelers football!

Oh, and Smith WAS playing bad coverage, but he's getting better fast. As Preacher said, he's only got about eight games of starting experience. I was impressed by his ability to identify when he needs to stay deep and to recognize plays, particularly when he stuck with Chad Johnson all the way, lotta safeties can't get the coverage and speed of one-on-one without drawing a penalty. Looks like Troy or someone is whispering in his ear
clark was having a helluva year before he got hurt. im really not so sure smith would even be starting if clark had never gotten hurt. thats not a knock on smith, its just that clark was earning his starting position in every game he played in.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Smith & Carter are the perfect combination for teams like the Bengals....who have self-congratulating blowhards who dont like contact. TJ, Chad, and Henry didnt want ANYTHING to do with going across the middle. They were getting LIT UP when they didnt even catch the ball...and all of them got a really bad case of alligator arms...real quick.
I personally like Smith...as he matures he could be that safety that makes every reciever think twice about catching the ball in his area. We all talk about how defensive linemen suddenly shied away from contact with Bettis by the end of the game...well, the same holds true for WR's when they have been blasted all game by safeties.
Granted, some recievers dont care about contact and take it as a challenge, with our own Hines Ward falling into that category. But WR's like Ocho Stinko are much more concerned with gaining a reputation with antics, rather than with guts...and Smith will make them second guess reaching up for a elevated pass and exposing their body to a clear shot from a black and gold guided missile.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #28
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

If Smith keeps his emotions in check and becomes more technically sound in pass coverage and tackling, he will be a great safety.

As for Carter, I don't understand why so many people dislike trash talking on the field. As long as it doesn't cost us a penalty and it stays on the field, what the heck is the big deal? Many of you have complained about a perceived lack of emotion on defense, but here we have a guy who brings it every week, and some of you still complain. Which is it?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #29
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

I havent read this entire thread, so I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but has anyone else noticed that the passing defense has been better with Troy out? Troy is a liability in coverage and at times a poor tackler, and a much better athlete than a football player. Carter is a system player and fits the scheme better. People dont want to hear that, but its the truth.

Anthony SMith is the future FS. He plays great and hits hard, and most importantly, he fits the scheme. He has to mature a bit, but he is playing MUCH better than Polamalu and a big reason the defense has been so good.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #30
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Troy has played solid but not to the level we've grown accustomed to. He's been hurt so thats part of it. I think he will come up big during the stretch run.

Anthony Smith is a monster, he will learn to avoid the stupid penalty. Theres no substitute for a safety that puts fear into the opposing receivers.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote