Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Anthony Smith: Good or Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
If Smith keeps his emotions in check and becomes more technically sound in pass coverage and tackling, he will be a great safety.

As for Carter, I don't understand why so many people dislike trash talking on the field. As long as it doesn't cost us a penalty and it stays on the field, what the heck is the big deal? Many of you have complained about a perceived lack of emotion on defense, but here we have a guy who brings it every week, and some of you still complain. Which is it?
I LOVE Carter...he is a MORE than adequate backup!!!
...and those that know me ...know that this is hard to say...Deshea had a good game also.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #32
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I think Smith is showing more control. In the game against the Bengals he smashed T.J.H. on a deep pass, and T.J. got up and cried to the ref, I believe, that he was defenseless on the hit. Later in the game on a similar pass that sailed high over T.J.s head Smith did not crush him, probably because we were ahead and avoiding the penalty for hitting a defenseless WR.

As far as Troy goes I would like to see him in the box, with Smith and Carter playing back, when the Pats spread the field. Let Troy use his incredible athletisism, at and around the line of scrimmage, for blitzing and covering underneath.

BTW, not just anyone can hit like Smith!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i dont like him back there.... he costs this team a lot.... two weeks in a row unsportsmanlike conduct penaltyies..it can only hurt a team... anyone can dish out a huge hit but how many people can keep their emotions under control?
My gosh! The very same thing alot of you guys were lauding Joey Porter for your bashing Anthony Smith about. He brings that rah-rah to the defense. The only reason his trashtalking and/or taunting is an issue is because of the new rules instituted by the NFL to try and take out the selfish "its about me" attitude that contributed to the decline of the NBA ratings. Its been a part of football for a long time. I know the penalties hurt sometimes but the attitude is infectious and in my opinion far more beneficial to the D.
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #34
RunWillieRun
Team President

Member Number: 3226

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
I havent read this entire thread, so I dont know if anyone mentioned it, but has anyone else noticed that the passing defense has been better with Troy out? Troy is a liability in coverage and at times a poor tackler, and a much better athlete than a football player. Carter is a system player and fits the scheme better. People dont want to hear that, but its the truth.

Anthony SMith is the future FS. He plays great and hits hard, and most importantly, he fits the scheme. He has to mature a bit, but he is playing MUCH better than Polamalu and a big reason the defense has been so good.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Troy hasn't been himself all season. I think he's had a lot of recuring injuries (some we probably don't know about) that have hindered him. He's been missing tackles and has been ineffective on the blitz.

That being said, I think our pass coverage is better without Troy simply because Lebeau doesn't use the other safeties on the blitz like he uses Troy. I have certianly noticed we are getting decreased pressure on the QB with the blitz packages, but our pass coverage has been AMAZING. I am happy with the tradeoff as it has work so far.

The big challenge will be Sunday vs. the Pats when we'll need to pressure pretty-boy ass-chin brady without sacrificing coverage on moss, welker, stallworth, etc.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #35
SteelCity65
Water Boy

Member Number: 1939
Default Call me crazy...

Id like to go out and compare Anthony smith to Sean taylor one of the best safeties in the nfl until the tragedy. R.I.P. I just wanna say Smith hits like taylor with reckless abandon. He is built like him and just stuffs people. He is a ballhawk. Yes i know Smith is still raw but within a couple years and some grooming Smith could be the type of safety taylor was. A 6'1 hard hittin ball hawkin beast of a safety. Another thing that reminds of taylor from smith is that he is soft spoken off the field (up until everything he said about the pats receivers) and a talker on the field just like him. Thats why i love smith guys, im also a hurricane fan and a big taylor fan and i see some taylor in smith. Just some food for thought, think about it.

GO STEELERS!!
SteelCity65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #36
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
My gosh! The very same thing alot of you guys were lauding Joey Porter for your bashing Anthony Smith about. He brings that rah-rah to the defense. The only reason his trashtalking and/or taunting is an issue is because of the new rules instituted by the NFL to try and take out the selfish "its about me" attitude that contributed to the decline of the NBA ratings. Its been a part of football for a long time. I know the penalties hurt sometimes but the attitude is infectious and in my opinion far more beneficial to the D.
I have to agree with that one!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #37
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Well I guess I've submitted redundant posts because I didn't realize that the A.Smith post overlapped the Carter post. Oh well.

Anthony Smith is not good. He is awesome. Love his gig and I hope it evolves into something great.

The fundamental difference between Smith and Carter in this discussion is that Anthony Smith's "discretions come before they blow the whistle. Alot of Carter's antics come after the whistle.

Not only is maturity an issue but cognizance of what is at stake each and every play is the issue also.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote