Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
scooby2
Water Boy

Member Number: 7799
Default Steelers coaching staff better be watching this game!!!

Ravens are running all over the Pats. Play action is working beautifully. Still lots of time left but this needs to be the game plan for next week. Pass first to open up the run and then run the ball down their throats!

Defensively keep with this cover 2 like defense they have been playing and bring the house. We do not have anyone that can cover Moss one on one but with safety help it will not be a problem. Let ASmith hit him a couple times and Moss will slow down.

Davenport better be back or Randall should get some good practice time.
scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Bigsteve332310
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2248
Default Re: Steelers coaching staff better be watching this game!!!

Anyone else out there think that we should bring back verron?? I think he is a better 3rd down RB than any RB on our roster. I think we miss him picking up blitzes on third downs and I also think hes better than willie and najeh at catching out of the backfield.
Bigsteve332310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Arians needs to be aggressive in his playcalling. Now is not the time to do run-run-pass. The Pats D is old and overrated. The cracks are showing. Do playaction. Get Willie in space. And the O-Line has to block.

Keywords for the Steelers. Smart, Physical, Aggressive.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Arians needs to be aggressive in his playcalling. Now is not the time to do run-run-pass. The Pats D is old and overrated. The cracks are showing. Do playaction. Get Willie in space. And the O-Line has to block.

Keywords for the Steelers. Smart, Physical, Aggressive.
Scratch that, as Tomlin said "Violent"
Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

Play Smart, Stay focused and above all, PLAY PHYSICAL!
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

We should learn alot from the ravens and eagles game when they played the patriots.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is no surprise. The gameplan to beat the Patriots this year was first demonstrated by the Browns, but they failed to execute. The Pats run defense is soft, and it's not a statistical anomaly. Sure, when teams get behind they are forced to throw, but the teams that stick to the gameplan and commit to the run have had success.

There is no "secret formula" to beating these Patriots. You play good defense and control the clock by running the football and you'll beat them.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,689 Posts

Recent strategy appears to be trying to take Moss out of the game and making Brady beat you with someone else. Given the lack of a running game, that involves Welker, Gaffney or Stallworth

I agree running clock to reduce the Pats time of possession is the way to go. Unfortnately I doubt the Steelers remain capable of pounding the ball like the Ravens did through 3 quarters last night - recent games would indicate not. If Mangini could devise a plan to shut down the Steelers running game i assume Belichick can as well.

At least the Pats do not appear invincible - hats off to them for coming from behind in the
4th quarter 3 of the last 4 games (2 times on the road), but on the bright side at least they were forced to come from behind.

IMO the achilles heel of the Pats may be they no longer run an offfense well suited to winter weather & have become what they always mocked - a dome team.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Recent strategy appears to be trying to take Moss out of the game and making Brady beat you with someone else. Given the lack of a running game, that involves Welker, Gaffney or Stallworth
I think Ike + Polamalu can take Moss out of it, and we're physical enough that going over the middle for 60 minutes isn't super feasible, not that it hasn't been done this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta dan View Post
I agree running clock to reduce the Pats time of possession is the way to go. Unfortnately I doubt the Steelers remain capable of pounding the ball like the Ravens did through 3 quarters last night - recent games would indicate not. If Mangini could devise a plan to shut down the Steelers running game i assume Belichick can as well.
That's the key right there. I'm comfortable with our passing game, but hopefully it doesn't come to that. I can see us using Willie to get ahead by 10+, and then switching to Davenport to wear out their linebackers. This is best case scenario, and it also takes away Parker's explosiveness. On one hand I think Davenport is the sure thing to do in that situation; sure he's no Bettis but he is big and he always falls forward. Then again, we've all criticized Arians for playing too conservatively. I guess I just hate seeing Willie go up the middle on first and second for small gains constantly on three consecutive drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta dan View Post
IMO the achilles heel of the Pats may be they no longer run an offfense well suited to winter weather & have become what they always mocked - a dome team.
Someone (it may have even been you...it was someone who's around a lot) mentioned WAAAAY back around the Broncos game that the Patriots have several older players in key positions, and every team slows down come winter. The Patriots play Moss is pretty insane, but he's nearing 31. If we the physical Steelers show up, we can play that violent football Tomlin wants.

I don't want to be a homer, but I do feel confident about this game. I know games that aren't inner-division are all mostly the same in terms of importance, but dammit I wanna win this one
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Right on Dan. We have seen the Pats struggle the last two games in large part due to the weather. Plain and simple, cold weather makes it harder to throw the ball around. Take away the quick deep scores and the Pats are actually forced to play 60 minutes. Under those conditions thier defense and running game have looked very average.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote