Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Max Starks

Ok, I know the game was against the Bungles, but I was really impressed with Max Starks play at left tackle. There was not much pressure on Ben from the left side and Starks also seemed to be quicker in his motions than Smith is when he is in there. I know that he was hot and cold at right tackle, but hear me out on this (and let the sarcasm begin ). Next year, move Smtih to right tackle, Starks to left tackle, Willie Colon to left gaurd. This is all depending on Faneca leaving, which all indications are pointing to yes unfortunately. This would put our o-line from left to right as: Starks, Colon, Mahan, Simmons, Smith. I don't know, if Max's play continues the way it was yesterday (I know, he is streaky) it could benefit us since Marvel was originally a rt tackle and I beleive that Colon played gaurd in college. What do you all think? Come on, hit me!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Max Starks

Then we take two players in the draft on the first day...

If it works, that would be great. However, I would like to see the line up in one or two throw a way games at the end of this year first.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I agree Max played pretty well. however, I am not willing to conceed that he should start until I see how he plays against a fast DE on a fast surface.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i still dont know why he doesnt start over colon, what did he do besides help will gain around 1750 rushing yards in 2 seasons and win a super bowl. he is really good and i can see him playing LG for us next year, he is so big and strong he could take on casey hampton and not lose......badly, like everyone else.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Give Max credit. He held Jason Taylor and Smith of the Bengals at bay. Taylor was neutralized by a terrible field...and maybe Smith was neutralized by a wet field as well. Either way, this was a couple of solid outings for Max.

Being that both games were nationally televised, it will probably get Max some much needed publicity before his Free Agency campaign begins after the season ends.

Teams know he was a former starter...and they know now that he can play both Right and Left tackle. Max might have just made himself alot of money next season from the two previous games. I'm not sure what the Steelers will do here, but I'm not convinced that Max is going to be worth what some crazy team out there will offer him...even based upon 2 games.

He will probably get the start next week in place of Smith as well. I don't know how Max will do against Seymour, but that would further his meal ticket for next season if he does well. Not to mention, I am not sure I want a rusty Smith in that game anyway.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Max played great but two games don't make up for horrible play in the past...

I like you're solution but I like what I have been saying a bit more... When Faneca leaves put Starks inside at left guard, leave everything else as is and draft some versatile o-linemen in the first second and yes maybe even third rounds... Then you make open competition at every position for every player (Except possibly Simmons at right guard) and see what happens
Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

I forgot about him being a free agent next year, that could definitely change things. Maybe he is on top of his game to get a meal ticket next year, but just maybe him losing his starting position has lit a fire under his arse!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Question for you all---was Max's college position left tackle? I swear I heard that somewhere.

Max said in an interview last week that he is left-handed. I would imagine (as a lefty myself) that it would be naturally easier for a lefty to block on the left side of the line. Certainly your reaction to & strength against end rushes would be better.
Maybe left tackle is his more natual position. Just a thought.

He and the rest of the line did a good job last night. kudos---now keep it up!
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Max did play very well in the games against the Dolfs and Bungles, but I'm with the others here who would like to see his performance against a quick DE on a normal field before I commit to wanting the Steelers to re-sign him.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i want to see him suceed agains richard seymour... if he does that and contains the OLB's for the pats at least somewhat.. im sold on him being a LT for years