Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Post Why The Steelers Will Beat The Patriots

Got this in my e-mail............. http://www.realgmfootball.com:80/src..._the_patriots/

Why The Steelers Will Beat The Patriots
Matthew Gordon. 4th December, 2007 - 5:55 pm

This Sunday?s game features what might be the two best teams in the AFC, or even in the entire NFL. The 12-0 Patriots have shown so far that they are among the most formidable teams in recent memory, accumulating what feels like a guaranteed victory every week. The Steelers, at 9-3, have lost three winnable games this season that they really should have won yet they remain number three in the conference and a feared opponent to anyone they face.

To be fair, there are a lot of things in the Patriots? favor. The Steelers are only 2-3 on the road, an abysmal record compared to their overall performance; the Patriots don?t have any crippling injuries, their worst being to Roosevelt Colvin; and they?re obviously riding one of the biggest momentums the league has ever seen. Despite these factors, there are a few things that could produce a shift in fortunes.

A quick survey of the Patriots? twelve wins so far reveals the following: four have been against divisional opponents (who are a combined 9-27 this year, for a putrid winning percentage of .250) and another four have been against non-division opponents with losing records. That leaves only four games during which the Patriots can be said to have really put together a performance that would make a contending team interested, including a narrow escape against the Colts. The Colts, Eagles and Ravens games were won by a combined ten points and could have easily been losses. An important note to make here is that all three of those teams have good coaching and came into those games with a game plan that they executed very well.

The Steelers? haven?t been at all more impressive, but the games they?ve played take a different path. When the Steelers have lost, it seems completely random, a result of the team just not bothering to put together a good enough performance. Games like the Niners blowout and the two games against Cincinnati demonstrate that the Steelers are clearly capable of putting away non-playoff teams almost as well as if not just as well as the Patriots can. The Dolphins game, a tough-fought 3-0 win, was a product of lousy weather and an underrate Dolphins defence. What?s more important is that the Steelers have not lost to a +.500 team this season. (They?re only 3-0, but this can be attributed to their schedule ? besides, the Patriots are only 4-0, as mentioned. Neither team has been pitching playoff battles every week.)

Since neither team has had the chance to bowl over legions of playoff teams, the previous twelve games have shown us little in terms of quality of opponents except that the Patriots win games and the Steelers win games when they come out to play. The teams? records, the Patriots winning 12-9 in the wins department so far, can only explain so much, with both records being very good and the Steelers? losses not coming in any sort of systematic fashion. The Patriots won against the Colts but needed a 14-point fourth-quarter surge to do it, something that probably won?t be so available against the Steelers? defence; the Eagles win can be blame more on A.J. Feeley?s horrendous decision-making in the closing minutes than anything else. The Cardinals, Broncos and Jets are all significantly different teams that exposed little more than the Steelers? tendency to play to the level of their competition. There are three things about this Steelers team that could make them very difficult for the Patriots to stop.

A Controlled Offense

The Pittsburgh Steelers run the kind of offense that football puritans love and the Patriots? defense hates. Predicated on short pass patterns and running the football, the Steelers are very careful with how they handle the ball. Ben Roethlisberger has only thrown eleven interceptions all year and the team is not afraid to run the ball thirty or more in a game.

Something the Eagles did with consistency against the Patriots was throwing to the tight end over the middle. The Patriots? opportunistic corners, Asante Samuel and Randall Gay, have nine interceptions between them this season and are therefore best avoided. Adding to this, the Patriots? only legitimate sack threat is Mike Vrabel, so Roethlisberger should at least have time to launch a quick pass. The Steelers are the perfect team to capitalize on the Patriots? outside-heavy defense because they?re at their best when passing quickly and inside. Hines Ward and Heath Miller, the Steelers? two best receivers, are most comfortable when away from the sidelines, especially Miller. At 6?5? and 256 pounds, Miller is a punishing tight end who is tough to stop from making a catch.

Putting Ward and Miller in the middle of the field creates immense problems for the Patriots. The Patriots? inside linebackers, Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau, are both great players but they average 36 years of age and neither has forced a fumble yet this season; by contrast, neither Ward nor Miller has fumbled. Pittsburgh has proven that it doesn?t need to make the big pass, with neither Ward nor Miller catching a pass of thirty or more yards this season despite them having a combined twelve receiving touchdowns. The Patriots? defense is the best in the league at taking away big plays but they won?t find any against Pittsburgh. The Steelers? favourite passes are the ones that move the chains.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Why The Steelers Will Beat The Patriots

The Steelers’ running game is as much of a concern. Willie Parker, despite a mediocre 3.8 yards per carry, already has 1093 rushing yards on the season, more than double that of the Patriots’ leading rusher. Najeh Davenport has come into his own as a solid change-of-pace back, rushing for a stellar 5.0 yards per carry, which is better than any Patriots rusher. Ben Roethlisberger has been averaging 5.7 yards per carry on limited attempts; the Patriots will have to watch for him because the couple times he rushes per game, he either punches in a touchdown or makes a scramble for a first down or close to it.

On Monday, the Ravens ran for 166 yards against the Patriots on 37 carries, the kind of performance the Steelers will no doubt be looking to emulate. Like the Steelers, the Ravens also have a 1000-yard rusher in Willis McGahee but no good secondary rusher to mix up the defense. The Steelers’ running game has more depth to it, more different looks, and could very well stymie the Patriots’ front seven. None of the Patriots’ starting defensive linemen average much more than three tackles per game this year, Richard Seymour has been a non-factor due to knee surgery and if the linebacking corps is too eager to stop the run, that’ll open up the field for the play-action pass. The Patriots will have to formulate a better plan against the run than they did on Monday if they want their offense to see the field.

A Focused Defense

The Steelers have prided themselves on having a great defense for a very long time and that hasn’t changed a bit. They’ve allowed 155 points this season, far and away the least of any team, good for less than 13 opposing points per game. While it hasn’t been a great season for the Steelers’ defensive line, their linebackers have looked amazing. The unlikely James Harrison and the steady James Farrior are both over 70 tackles on the season and have combined for 14.5 sacks.

What the Steelers have is a wealth of good defensive players. They have eight 40+ tacklers this season to the Patriots’ seven despite having two players (the aforementioned Harrison and Farrior) who each have more tackles than any one player on the Patriots’ team. Ike Taylor is a big, physical corner who’s among the best tacklers from his position, and there’s no doubt he’ll be entrusted with the duty of covering Randy Moss. DeShea Townsend is a player who’s more in the traditional mould, speedy and feisty, and will be counted on to handle Donte’ Stallworth. The Patriots haven’t really faced this kind of physicality and coverage except against two teams, the Eagles and the Ravens, who they struggled to beat.

The Steelers’ rushing defense should neutralize the Patriots’ backs. The Steelers have allowed 922 rushing yards all year, equalling less than 77 per outing, and have allowed only three rushing touchdowns in their twelve games. The Patriots will have to find a way to establish the run because the Steelers’ defense is too good be allowed to know what’s coming next, but there’s no indication that the Patriots will be able to get much done. If they try to run to the outside, Farrior’s waiting to unload on whoever he sees; if they can get past underachieving yet still notable run-stuffer Casey Hampton on the inside, Harrison’s seven forced fumbles are not a stat the Patriots would like to augment. Furthermore, every single player in the Steelers’ secondary is capable of coming toward the line of scrimmage and delivering a big hit or even going straight to the quarterback. There’s a very good chance that Laurence Maroney will have a very tough game, and there’s no Davenport to spell him.

To the Patriots’ Level

Something that’s been a continual frustration for Steelers fans all season is that when faced with below-par competition, the team doesn’t seem to give its all. Everyone knows that the Steelers can crush teams like the Cardinals, Broncos and Jets but they didn’t. More importantly, teams like the potentially playoff-bound Browns (albeit more so in Week 1) and the division-leading Seahawks have been feeling the Steelers’ wrath. This is a highly disciplined team with good coaching that knows winning. Admirers of the Patriots’ recent dynasty may well have forgotten that the Steelers have won a Superbowl more recently than the Patriots have.

That one big knock against the Steelers, that they play to the level of their competition, has utterly no bearing on this game. If anything, it helps them. If I’m Mike Tomlin and my team plays like it’s a 12-0 squad, I can’t say I mind too much. The Patriots have a great team but their weaknesses match up with the Steelers’ strengths; combined with the Steelers no doubt feeling like they have a lot to prove in this game, that could mean a loss in the Patriots’ column.

While no one would actually make such an outrageous prediction as the Patriots losing a game, no team has ever gone undefeated in a sixteen-game season and it’s something that would be tough to change. Every NFL team, even the Dolphins, plays at such a high level that for one team to roll the table is simply too difficult. For the Patriots to even go 15-1, they have to lose a game – why not this one? Here’s to the Steelers. Let’s see if history can be delayed for another year
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Nice article. Very good insight.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

Great article... Lets hope it doesn't give me TOO much hope going into Sunday's game. I would love to see a Patriot loss though. Monday night was the first game I EVER rooted for the Ratbirds. I don't want the Patriots to go 16-0.
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
43SteelCurtainRevolution
Water Boy

Member Number: 7602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davison_K View Post
Great article... Lets hope it doesn't give me TOO much hope going into Sunday's game. I would love to see a Patriot loss though. Monday night was the first game I EVER rooted for the Ratbirds. I don't want the Patriots to go 16-0.
I hate the Ratbirds, but I want the Patsies to LOSE!!!!!
The Steelers are the NFL's only hope of beating the Pats, so we'll have the support of the ENTIRE LEAGUE Sunday Night.
If that doesn't instill some passion into this Steelers team, I don't know what will.
Remember, the Patriots aren't a lock for the Super Bowl like some people argue. The Steelers still have a very legitimate shot at a second SB in 3 years!

GO STEELERS
43SteelCurtainRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Blitzmonger
Water Boy

Member Number: 7821
Talking Re: Why The Steelers Will Beat The Patriots

First off Steelers fans, Thomas Jones recorded over 100 yards on the ground against the run stopping Steelers, oooh im scared. Lets be real that is no fluke. If these articles are saying that the Steelers slack off against horrible teams but play well against good ones, lets see! They barely beat the Browns for christ sakes. They have had so many close games this year. I do agree that the Patriots have had the easiest schedule then any other team this year. And the Pats are a far to talented team to have such an easy schedule. But you guys have to face the facts, if the Steelers can barely beat bum teams and the article states only shows up against good teams, then how do you expect them to beat the Patriots? I have not seen the Steelers play a really solid team this whole season. I mean the Bengals do not count, with that crappy defense and all. Put it this way, the Steelers are going to have their hands full this Sunday night. I predict a good game and really hope the Patriots lose, but I do not think it is going to happen. Steelers really need Santonio Holmes back, i think he does not get enough credit and no hype at all. That being said Pats are gonna woop dat ........
Blitzmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmonger View Post
First off Steelers fans, Thomas Jones recorded over 100 yards on the ground against the run stopping Steelers, oooh im scared. Lets be real that is no fluke. If these articles are saying that the Steelers slack off against horrible teams but play well against good ones, lets see! They barely beat the Browns for christ sakes. They have had so many close games this year. I do agree that the Patriots have had the easiest schedule then any other team this year. And the Pats are a far to talented team to have such an easy schedule. But you guys have to face the facts, if the Steelers can barely beat bum teams and the article states only shows up against good teams, then how do you expect them to beat the Patriots? I have not seen the Steelers play a really solid team this whole season. I mean the Bengals do not count, with that crappy defense and all. Put it this way, the Steelers are going to have their hands full this Sunday night. I predict a good game and really hope the Patriots lose, but I do not think it is going to happen. Steelers really need Santonio Holmes back, i think he does not get enough credit and no hype at all. That being said Pats are gonna woop dat ........

And the mighty Cheatriots had to come from behind in the final countdown to beat two teams with a combined 9-17 record. The Cheatriots also haven't faced the NFL's #1 secondary and D, but they'll be properly introduced this Sunday.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
rdon357
Water Boy

Member Number: 7752

Why The Steelers Will Beat The Patriots

The steelers will beat the patriots just after 7pm Sunday night and win the division with
a browns loss.they will beat the patriots with strong will and determination, physical play and great special teams play and also great coaching plays a huge factor its going to be a team effort to upset pats (America) lol anyway big ben is going to have to get the ball out quickly we all know about his slow release lets hope the line can drive the pile back take control of the line of scrimmage and open holes for little willie parker to run through or line sucks though so will see steelers 24 pats 20
rdon357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
crew1954
Banned

Member Number: 7810

'... They have eight 40+ tacklers this season to the Patriots’ seven despite having two players (the aforementioned Harrison and Farrior) who each have more tackles than any one Patriot......"

I would think the more 40+ tacklers the worse the offense, and potentially, the worse the defense.

A great offense keeps it's defense off the field, resulting in less opportunities to tackle.

conversely a bad defense, which does not give up big plays, but gets chewed up 5 yards a clip, would have tons of tackles.
crew1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew1954 View Post
A great offense keeps it's defense off the field, resulting in less opportunities to tackle.
Quote:
They?ve allowed 155 points this season, far and away the least of any team, good for less than 13 opposing points per game.
A great defense keeps the offense off the board, which is really all that matters when that final second ticks off the clock. Enough said.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote