Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Fox/Whitlock: Nfl Truths excerpt re: Mike Tomlin

Quote:
3. Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin is having a good rookie year, but he needs a signature moment to begin the process of erasing Bill Cowher's shadow.

Tomlin needs to knock off the Patriots this week. The Steelers are 9-3 and Tomlin's best victory is a pounding of the Seattle Seahawks. Yeah, Pittsburgh has beaten the Cleveland Browns twice. So what?

There's nothing wrong with being a good caretaker. Tomlin deserves credit for maintaining Cowher's momentum. That's fine. Beating the Patriots would help stamp Tomlin as legitimate.

Steelers 31, Patriots 23.
I'm sorry, I have to rant a little here. Regardless of the outcome of Sunday's game, how on earth is Mike Tomlin's season in any way not legitimate, and what in either his demeanor or actions suggests that he is a "caretaker?" I guess this makes him the Ben Roethlisberger "game manager" of head coaches; you know, not asked to do too much, asked only to not screw it up.

Cowher's 2006 Steelers did not maintain their momentum. That team collectively took a step back. If anything, Tomlin deserves credit for "righting the ship" and for displaying significant ego-free people skills that have resulted in better play by some key personnel (Ike Taylor, and Ben's increased involvement in the offensive plan, are the two biggest that come to mind).

All I can say to the "best victory" comment is that you have to play who is on your schedule. For crying out loud, if we manage to beat NE on Sunday, you know what we're gonna hear? "Well, they were already tired. The Steelers just kicked them when they were down; that wasn't a legitimate win."

I know you can never win with these media people, but I really resent the insinuation that Tomlin is either a caretaker or a coach of questionable legitimacy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7533748
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Fox/Whitlock: Nfl Truths excerpt re: Mike Tomlin

I agree, that is BS.

He took a team that went 8-8 last year, didn't win igame number 18 until the season's final game....and has them sitting atop the AFC North at 9-3, basicly with the division clinched.

He has this team in a position to take the #2 seed in the playoffs.

I expect us to win the rest of our games after the Patriots game...and I expect us to win the Patriots game. That'll give us good momentum going into the playoffs.

Mike Tomlin doesn't is legitimate. How many coaches can actually say "it won't happen again" and have the problem essentially go away?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I agree, that is BS.

He took a team that went 8-8 last year, didn't win igame number 8 until the season's final game....and has them sitting atop the AFC North at 9-3, basicly with the division clinched.
Exactly. All you have to do is look at Norv Turner in San Diego for an example of how inheriting a talented team is no guarantee that a new coach, rookie or not, will be instantly successful. Remember a million years ago in August, when San Diego was the team to beat?
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

oh please.. this is just an overblown regular season game because of the pats undefeated season. he's swept the division with only one game remaining and is taking us back to the playoffs.. his "signature moment" will be made in the playoffs.. if not this year, than in the upcoming years. the steelers do not define their season based on regular season games... thats for the bengals and browns to do.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I'm sorry, I have to rant a little here. Regardless of the outcome of Sunday's game, how on earth is Mike Tomlin's season in any way not legitimate, and what in either his demeanor or actions suggests that he is a "caretaker?" I guess this makes him the Ben Roethlisberger "game manager" of head coaches; you know, not asked to do too much, asked only to not screw it up.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7533748
I'm glad you posted this. It's killing me that anyone really thinks Tomlin is in Cowher's shadow after last season. . .
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
elockcuff
Water Boy

Member Number: 7137

mike tomlin will take us to the s. b. if not this year next year
elockcuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

i understand where he is coming from, we were already a talented team with a tradition of winning so having a winning season isnt a huge deal to some. what they dont understand is that ben has accelorated his play, santonio holmes is moving into the role of a #1 reciever, and our defense is playing at the highest level they have played at in years.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Exactly. All you have to do is look at Norv Turner in San Diego for an example of how inheriting a talented team is no guarantee that a new coach, rookie or not, will be instantly successful. Remember a million years ago in August, when San Diego was the team to beat?
Excellent point.

Turner inherits a team that went 14-2 last year and had the only team to rank in the top 10 on offense, defense, and special teams. He had a QB who everyone thought was going to be considered a premier NFL QB sometime during or definatly after this season, the best RB in football, and one of the best defenses in the league.

Now they have an offense that is ranked 21st and a defense that is ranked 20th.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

Typical Whitlock hot air.

The best thing Cowher did for his successor was having that 2-6 start to 2006 while complaining about his contract. Leaving after the SB win would have been another matter.

Tomlin is in Cowher's shadow no more than Cowher was in Noll's shadow - both coaches left at a time when the fan base and owners were ready to say goodbye.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote