Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
chenzzo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7297
Default Does anybody else feel....

Does anybody else feel that the Pats games against Philly and Baltimore did more to prepare them for us, than vice versa? I kept hearing that those games gave other teams the blueprint to beat the Pats, but I feel it gave them practice playing against run heavy, defensive minded teams. I guarantee three weeks ago Brady wasn?t getting rid of the ball as fast as he was last night, and I know that they tried the run more too. Their last two games trained them to play a different sort of ball than they had been playing previously.

Am I crazy?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Does anybody else feel....

I thought that since they almost lost last week. If it would have just been the Eagles or just the Ravens it would have been better... To weeks in a row by 3 points makes a team that is supposed to be the greatest ever motivated I would imagine.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
clarient
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1742

I see what you're saying, and I think it did help them out a little bit. They saw what was coming and they adjusted for it. Not enough, obviously, the first half was a knock-down drag-out fight and we were looking pretty fierce, but they evaluated and adjusted and totally neutralized us.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarient View Post
I see what you're saying, and I think it did help them out a little bit. They saw what was coming and they adjusted for it. Not enough, obviously, the first half was a knock-down drag-out fight and we were looking pretty fierce, but they evaluated and adjusted and totally neutralized us.
It's called coaching. What you saw yesterday was good coaching beating mediocre coaching, nothing more and nothing less. New England didn't have better talent or a better scheme. They just made the adjustments that needed to be made throughout the game and the Steelers didn't.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

No. We need to face it...they are better...much better...than we are. We are not on their level right now. If we played them 10 times, they beat us 9 or 10 times.

This is not just a one time thing when playing them. Brady knows how to beat our defense. Besides the game in 2004, he has always had his way with our DB's. As a matter of fact, I think he has a harder time finding a new Super Model to date than he does finding a Steelers DB out of position.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
clarient
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1742

Still, would they have made the same adjustments if they hadn't been up against teams like the Ravens and the Eagles in the weeks beforehand?

Methinks they might not have adjusted as well to US if they hadn't been forced to do so against two other teams.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
chenzzo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7297

Quote:
Still, would they have made the same adjustments if they hadn't been up against teams like the Ravens and the Eagles in the weeks beforehand?

Methinks they might not have adjusted as well to US if they hadn't been forced to do so against two other teams.
That's what I'm thinking too, I think if they had played us before Baltimore, they result could've been very different.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:

Yes. They have a great coaching staff. The game might have been closer through the second half, but the result would have been the same.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:

That's just wishful thinking. They are on a completely different level than we are.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
geo123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7778

Yes BF they are playing much better ball than us or anyone. I'd still like to think we could win at least play a closer game, but a lot has to change. I think we were beaten more mentally than physically.

MY ASSESMENT:

We controled the ball in the 1st half but came up short on the scoring.and we were still in the game. The big difference here was having to settle for a FG from the 5.
The big play on D was the 63 yd TD to Moss. Terrible! Yes he's a great receiver and he will get his catches but that's inexcusable, especially against the #1 D(which is a little over rated(I'll cover that later)).

To start the 2Q we go 4and out(one1stD on first down). NE scores in 21/2 min. on the trick play. Scoring that fast and embarrasing the D took some of the intensity out of the D. That is part of their MO. they know just how to do it to every one.
Now the pressure is on the O. We have a 3 and out. This is where it falls apart. It has already been said that keeping the ball out of Brady's hands is important. A key point in the Ravens loss was 2 3 and outs in the 4thQ.
NE score aTD on next pos. We follow with a good drive from the 43 to the 1 and come away empty.Thats the second time we're inside the5 and can't get a TD.
NE now starts on their own 1, and what does the "best defense" do they allow a drive to the 10and kick a FG.

This D which is ranked #1 really hasn't proven itself. They held down teams like Buf. SF. Balt., Cin twice and Miami. Of them only Buf. has a winning record. They gave up 31 to Den. and 34 to NE. Not so great. I do think they have the talent to be better. The big plays in the NE game were mental and hopfully won't happen again. Part of maintaining coverage on a play like that is having confidence in your line . The other games I've seen their coverage has been good! The line play the run well but was weak putting pressure on Brady.The only game they seemed to excel in was Balt.

Now to the offense. Since the Jet game they've not played well. In the last 4 games only once have they scored more than 17. (I've said it in other posts if your O can't score more than 17 you not going to win many games, nor should you excpect to). They seem to be playing not to lose. Too many short passes. If you dont stretch the D they will keep cheating up. Our only TD was a 32 yd pass. It's not all Ben it's play calling too. Ben does have the arm they must be able to go deep and make plays.
The TD to Davenport was the longest reception, probablly the longest att. The receiving stats for this game were terrible. Our best guy(Ward) had 5 catches for 39 yards . Not good. Ben was 19/32 for 187yds. these are not winning numbers!!!

Last edited by geo123; 12-10-2007 at 01:39 PM.
geo123 is offline   Reply With Quote