Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Tomlin calm, but not happy

I'm sure some of the more angry and disgruntled misanthropes will consider him somehow soft or lacking discipline or whatever, but I think this speaks volumes about the guys high level of character:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – He walked slowly out of Gillette Stadium Sunday night, less than an hour removed from his worst defeat as a head coach, his team's most glaring flaws having been exposed for all the world to see. Given the Pittsburgh Steelers' breakdowns in performance and composure in a 34-13 defeat to the New England Patriots, Mike Tomlin had every right to be seething mad, perhaps even a bit despondent.
If so, the 35-year-old rookie coach did a hell of a job hiding his emotions. When asked shortly before boarding the team bus what he'd learned about his team, Tomlin answered calmly and thoughtfully: "It's more about how we respond to it – that's what will really be revealing. We know what happened (Sunday). We got out butts kicked. Now, how do we react?"
Before we tackle that issue, in the interest of closure, here are the five things I learned from the latest stop on the Patriots' "We Will Crush You" Tour:
1. So much for that blueprint for beating the Pats that the Eagles supposedly provided two weeks ago and the Ravens allegedly copied last Monday night: New England (13-0) is back to its indomitable self. The Patriots will become the second NFL team to complete an undefeated regular season, given that they, more than any team before them, care deeply about accomplishing such a feat – and their remaining opponents won't offer much resistance. First come the Jets and "Spygate" scapegoat Eric Mangini, who'll be wishing he were Alex Rodriguez by the time next Sunday's revenge-fest at Gillette is done. The following weekend the Dolphins, who'll either be 0-14 or 1-13, will come north to pay for the sins of former coach Don (Asterisk) Shula. Then the Pats are off to New Jersey for a Saturday night date with the Giants, who'll almost certainly have been locked into their No. 5 playoff seed and will wisely treat the regular-season finale as a glorified exhibition game.
ff]Tom Brady[/COLOR][/URL] will smash Peyton Manning's single-season record of 49 touchdown passes. Brady has 45 (against five interceptions) with three games to play. Don't ask whether he's the MVP – duh. Ask whether this is the greatest individual season in football history.
3. Randy Moss, barring injury, will break Jerry Rice's single-season record for touchdown receptions – though, with apologies to Shula, this one really does deserve as asterisk: Rice, in the strike-shortened 1987 season, caught 22 TDs in 12 games; Moss has 19 in 13, though he dropped what would have been No. 20 in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game.
4. Barring something strange, it'll be Brady and Manning, once again, battling for a Super Bowl berth on Jan. 20 in Foxborough. The Colts (11-2) were the big winners on Sunday as Indy moved two games ahead of the Steelers (9-4) in the race for the No. 2 seed in the AFC and a first-round bye.
5. Tomlin has the phattest ride in the history of his profession. (We'll get to that later.)
The Steelers may not be good enough to compete with the Patriots, and they'll probably have to beat the Colts in Indy to get another shot at doing so, but Pittsburgh, even after Sunday's disappointment, remains one of football's most upbeat franchises. That's because of Tomlin, a top candidate for Coach of the Year consideration.
The resignation of Bill Cowher last December after 15 seasons – less than a year removed from the franchise's fifth Super Bowl championship – could have ushered in an era of doubt and rebuilding. Instead Tomlin, a surprise choice of owner Dan Rooney after a deliberate coaching search, seized his opportunity and revived the Steelers with an infusion of intensity, sincerity, accountability and (though some of his players didn't reflect it Sunday) poise.
"He's cool," Rooney said Sunday night. "He handles things the right way. He's a good man. We're lucky to have him."
It's hard to criticize Cowher, a fiery leader who went 161-99-1 in regular season and playoff games and who has obvious motivational gifts. But it's clear that Steelers players – and especially Pittsburgh's franchise quarterback – have responded positively to Tomlin's obvious contrasts in style and personality.
"I just like that he doesn't yell during the game," says Ben Roethlisberger, who was often treated like a petulant teenager during his three seasons under Cowher. "He's not a screamer or a yeller. He respects the guys, and guys respect him – especially on Sundays. If this had happened last year, we'd have been yelled at, and guys would've remembered it long after the game. But Coach Tomlin is so much more laid back than what we were used to."
Were he so inclined, Tomlin had plenty to scream about on Sunday. Twice his secondary was burned for long touchdowns, and on each occasion safety Anthony Smith – who had set himself up for increased scrutiny by talking smack about the Patriots and their receivers last week (see below) – was completely out of position. Smith fell for a play-fake on Brady's 63-yard touchdown pass to Moss early in the second quarter and got badly fooled on the double-lateral exchange from Brady to Moss and back that preceded Brady's 56-yard scoring pass to Jabar Gaffney five minutes into the second half.
Think the Steelers' former coach, a legendary spitter, might have given the kid a Cowher Shower or three?
The frustration continued early in the fourth quarter, when Pittsburgh got stuffed twice on third-and-goal from the 1 against a Pats defense that has struggled in the red zone. And all game long several Steelers, including Smith, expended far too much energy getting in verbal and physical skirmishes with the ever prickly Patriots. With 1:51 remaining, reserve linebacker Arnold Harrison got flagged for unnecessary roughness for shoving Tedy Bruschi from behind on a punt return – not the classiest way of coping with defeat.
Any misgivings Tomlin had about such behavior were mitigated by the competitive fire behind it. "I don't want to be around guys who enjoy losing," he said.
Monday, when he breaks down film with his team, Tomlin, as is his custom, will be blunt and honest and will spare no one his criticism. But, as was not always the case with Cowher, Tomlin's players will be convinced he's speaking from the heart, rather than being driven by ego or image.
"He's straight-up," linebacker Clark Haggans says of Tomlin. "When he got the job, there was all that talk about how young he is, but he has that special quality that inspires players. He's the same whether we win or lose, and he doesn't sugarcoat anything; he has none of that in his blood. What you see is what you get. I dig him. I really like his style. I think he's cool as hell."
How cool? Well, when players see Tomlin cruise into the parking lot at the team's training facility, their brainy boss is sometimes behind the wheel of a Dodge Charger. "A souped-up Charger," Haggans says. "With rims."
Quick, call the producers of "Pimp My Ride."
Surely, this makes Tomlin the coolest coach in NFL history.
"Naw, man," he said, smiling broadly. "It just means I've got rims on my ride."
He headed out of the stadium to rejoin his team. Then he stopped and turned back to add a final thought.
" Cool is winning."
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Tomlin calm, but not happy

Here, Jeremy, I'll save you the trouble - "Fire the bum! He sucks!"
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

fire the whole coaching staff and trade the whole team for a new one.. is that better?? lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I think Tomlin has other ways of getting his point across than Cowher did. And the guys respect him for that because he treats them like men instead of rebellious teenagers. (He's even won Faneca over ....no easy task). This year has gone very well for a first year coach who was stepping into huge shoes............shoes worn not only by Bill Cowher but still had the scent of Chuck Noll in them. And the car.....very cool!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Here, Jeremy, I'll save you the trouble - "Fire the bum! He sucks!"
He needs to learn how to go to Plan B when Plan A blows up in his face. Look at the really good coaches in the league right now and you'll see that most of them know how to do that. Tomlin hasn't learned how yet. Hopefully he will.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

I stopped reading at..."FOXBOROUGH, Mass"
Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

we all know that ben doesnt respond well when being yelled at... lol
there are other ways of getting your point across besides yelling and getting the face of somone. i like that tomlin is calm.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Ben still taking shots at Cowher

Ben, just let it go
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ben still taking shots at Cowher

Ben, just let it go
Did anyone see Keyshawn Johnson when he was talking about the TO/Parcells spat on GameDay? He said TO needs to leave it alone because he's never going to win against Parcells. Same thing applies here. Saint Ben will never win against Cowher. He needs to leave it alone and focus on the task at hand.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Just because he's calm doesn't mean his words aren't effective. This team is responding well to him and he is learning the job by the phase "baptism by fire." Tomlin is no dummy.........and with each loss, he is learning. (all whopping 4 of them) I have no doubt this is going to one very dangerous man in a very short time.

We're 9-4, people. Get a grip.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote