Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Steelers Look For Positives After Loss

Steelers look for positives after loss

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger chose his words carefully -- something Anthony Smith had neglected to do less than a week earlier -- when analyzing why the Steelers had moved the ball against the Patriots but only scored one touchdown Sunday and didn't put up any points in the second half.

"I may be completely wrong and crazy by saying this -- and I'm not trying to say they're old -- but when you drive down the field and get momentum on them, they're bending," Roethlisberger said after the Steelers' 34-13 loss to unbeaten New England. "Because they're such a smart, veteran team, by the time you put together a long drive, they've figured out a way to stop you."

It is too simplistic to say the Steelers lost to New England because of big plays. But they were in short supply for the Steelers, while the Patriots scored two of their touchdowns on long pass completions.

The difference in what coach Mike Tomlin calls "splash plays" was evident in the discrepancy on the scoreboard. The Patriots only outgained the Steelers 421 yards to 349.

There was a feeling in the Steelers' locker room after the game that they had not been beaten as badly as the final score indicated. And recent history tells them they shouldn't be completely discouraged by the loss.

After all, the Steelers lost, 26-7, to the Colts during the 2005 regular season and upset Indianapolis, 21-18, in the divisional playoffs.

"I think it sounds good," guard Alan Faneca said on the rematch being different should the Steelers meet the Patriots in the playoffs. "But to say we're going to come back if we get the chance to come back and it's going to be a win, it's not going to go like that."

Not if the Steelers play like they did Sunday.

They never put any pressure on Brady, and he picked apart a secondary that seemed to be on its heels after the Patriots' first possession of the game, one in which they were held without a first down.

The Steelers did dominate time of possession -- they had the ball for almost 10 more minutes than the Patriots -- and didn't commit a turnover offensively.

But two times they drove inside New England's 10-yard line and came away with a total of three points.

"We beat ourselves," said running back Willie Parker, who rushed for 124 yards on 21 carries. "We've got to do a better job of scoring. They can score at will."

The Patriots showed as much by putting together a pair of sustained drives that led to touchdowns -- and torching the secondary with pass plays of 63 and 56 yards, the latter of which came off a double pass.

Jabar Gaffney's 56-yard touchdown reception gave the Patriots a 24-13 lead early in the third quarter, and the Steelers never recovered.

"When you give up big plays," cornerback Deshea Townsend said, "that's not our style of defense."

And with the way the Patriots' defense is able to make adjustments, Roethlisberger said, opposing offenses must be able to make some big plays as well if New England is to be beaten.

"I think we took care of the ball, we had time of possession, we ran the ball," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers' offense.

But, he added, "They were the better team."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_542109.html

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Look For Positives After Loss

Look at time of possession & total yards. Take away the mental errors & we're right there. IMHO.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i'd love to get another crack at them late in january.. but we gotta get there first. long way to go.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

well at least ben didnt guarantee a win against jacksonville.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

also.. dont sleep on the jags or chargers in the playoffs. assuming they hold onto the 4th and 5th seeds and we take care of the 6th seed in the first round, they will have to go to new england.. the jags can create pressure with their front four, so they wont have to blitz as much and can sit back in coverage. if one of those teams win and we somehow make it to the afccg, the game would be in pittsburgh... where we are undefeated. its a long shot, but you just never know.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

We have one thing on our mind right now and thats Jacksonville and thats all that matters now!
Go Steelers!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Look at time of possession & total yards. Take away the mental errors & we're right there. IMHO.
They're only 'right there' if they score TDs instead of settling for FGs. Can't beat the Pats kicking FGs.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Learn from it and move on.

5 Time Superbowl Champions don't worry about 1 loss.

Regroup, focus, and prepare for the Jags. You know the Jags are going to try to run, and will attempt to attack the secondary if they watched any of the NE film. So be ready, get ready for a very physical game, and do what we do. Win at Home.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

ouch this one hurts a LOT... umm we are not elite YET we are fighting for our playoff lives right now and uhh the blitz did nothing against brady & co. so idk i didnt see much positives although willie ran pretty well did he score? ya..... im sorry to be so negative but i just HATE losing to the patriots