Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
noto45
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 984
Default What is it Going to take??

It seems that we are a good team year in and year out but what is it going to take for us to be a great team??? In my opinion we have to dulge a bit more into free agenxy. I am a Huge Rooney fan how can you not trust a Rooney BUT we have to adapt to the situation around us. WE are the best drafting team and we make the most out of later round picks making them into pro bowlers or solid players. What does everyone think?

"You play tough, you play smart, and above all ..... you play physical."
noto45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: What is it Going to take??

I sincerely doubt the Steelers are going to do a 180 and change their whole system.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by noto45 View Post
It seems that we are a good team year in and year out but what is it going to take for us to be a great team??? In my opinion we have to dulge a bit more into free agenxy. I am a Huge Rooney fan how can you not trust a Rooney BUT we have to adapt to the situation around us. WE are the best drafting team and we make the most out of later round picks making them into pro bowlers or solid players. What does everyone think?

i really haven't been too impressed with the steelers 2nd day drafts of late. sure they find some gems on the first day, but most teams do. their 2nd day picks aren't so great.

2006 - only one out of the 6 picks on the 2nd day remain with the team. colon was taken in the 4th round and the jury is still out.

2005 - only one out of the five 2nd day picks remain. kemo remains on the bench where he will most likely stay.

2004 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2003 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2002 - two out of the five 2nd day picks remain. both are starters(foote and kiesel).

2001 - none remain.

2000 - one out of the six 2nd picks remain(haggans).

i am not sure if that's good, bad or average for NFL teams.

what year did modrak leave?

remember 2nd picks like lloyd, everett, warren williams, hoge, john jackson, nickerson, hinkle, wolfley, ilkin, terry long, olsavsky, strzelczyk and barry foster?
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i agree with rev, i dont think they are going to change their whole system. and you know the saying.. if its not broke dont fix it.... (except for the Oline)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
BAS
Water Boy

Member Number: 2412

It's tough to say what's going to happen with the new coach. People keep comparing things to the past few years.... but a lot of what went on in the past was due to Cowher's influence - and that just doesn't apply anymore.

I wouldn't judge Tomlin too much on his first draft season either. A lot of what happens this season is due to him learning the ropes. We'll see how the draft and team management changes in the coming seasons to reflect Tomlin's approach as opposed to Cowher's.

I don't expect the player management to change so much, but I certainly see a change in player evaluation in the works. Hopefully... Tomlin is a quick learner and good study when it comes to evaluating potential and current players.
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

You mean, be a great team like a team that wins the Superbowl in 2005, 2 seasons ago? Great like that?

Or do you mean a great team like the 90s Bills, the 80s Broncos, the 70s Vikings or the 80s Dolphins? Just checking...

Me have made the Playoffs for the last 14 years minus a year or two, won a superbowl, been in 2 and are going back to the playoffs...would you rather we have a 20 year funk like the Pats, or the Bucs, or the Packers and not even show up for years at a time, or how about the 9ers? or Giants? Would it better if we were more like those teams?

I'd rather be a playoff team every single year and at least have a shot of winning it all as opposed to being the Bengals, the Rams, the Saints, the Vikings...teams that once in a while make a showing and then fall off the planet for 10 - 15 years at a time.

Thanks...But I'll take MY STEELERS!!!
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
susielr
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7858

I also believe the Steelers are a good team but don't show up like the team they are every week..I don't know why. I believe we are in the right direction with Ben. He is still young(but good) and has many more years of learning ahead of him. I just hope he does it with the Steelers.
susielr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

The Steelers of '07 are a work in progress. Tomlin struck gold and inherited a talented Bill Cowher team. It will take several years for it to evolve into Mike Tomlin's team. Next year should be interesting, to say the least.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
You mean, be a great team like a team that wins the Superbowl in 2005, 2 seasons ago? Great like that?

Or do you mean a great team like the 90s Bills, the 80s Broncos, the 70s Vikings or the 80s Dolphins? Just checking...

Me have made the Playoffs for the last 14 years minus a year or two, won a superbowl, been in 2 and are going back to the playoffs...would you rather we have a 20 year funk like the Pats, or the Bucs, or the Packers and not even show up for years at a time, or how about the 9ers? or Giants? Would it better if we were more like those teams?

I'd rather be a playoff team every single year and at least have a shot of winning it all as opposed to being the Bengals, the Rams, the Saints, the Vikings...teams that once in a while make a showing and then fall off the planet for 10 - 15 years at a time.

Thanks...But I'll take MY STEELERS!!!
Great post, Dino! I couldn't have said it any better.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
i really haven't been too impressed with the steelers 2nd day drafts of late. sure they find some gems on the first day, but most teams do. their 2nd day picks aren't so great.

2006 - only one out of the 6 picks on the 2nd day remain with the team. colon was taken in the 4th round and the jury is still out.

2005 - only one out of the five 2nd day picks remain. kemo remains on the bench where he will most likely stay.

2004 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2003 - none of the 2nd day picks remain.

2002 - two out of the five 2nd day picks remain. both are starters(foote and kiesel).

2001 - none remain.

2000 - one out of the six 2nd picks remain(haggans).

i am not sure if that's good, bad or average for NFL teams.

what year did modrak leave?

remember 2nd picks like lloyd, everett, warren williams, hoge, john jackson, nickerson, hinkle, wolfley, ilkin, terry long, olsavsky, strzelczyk and barry foster?
I agree with you. Our 2007 draft has stunk for this season. Not one of them...other than Sepulveda...has done anything worth noting the entire season. I don't count a single fumble recovery or a single sack as notable either.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote