Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Steelers Short on Long Gains

If anything, this article clearly shows that the Steelers must make some changes to their OL in the off-season. I know some of you question Arians playcalls, but he does have a point - the Steelers O can't keep nickel and diming good D's and expect to come up with a W.

Steelers short on long gains
By Joe Starkey

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 14, 2007

The Steelers still bust out with a big play now and then, but the really big play has been missing all season.
Last year, the team had 12 plays from scrimmage longer than 45 yards.

This year, it has none.

In the past five games, the Steelers' longest pass play was 32 yards - a touchdown strike from Ben Roethlisberger to running back Najeh Davenport in the 34-13 loss at New England.

Willie Parker's longest run of the season is 32 yards. Last season, he had five runs longer than that, including sprints of 76 and 72 yards.
The longest pass play this season is 45 yards, from Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes against Baltimore. Last season, the team had nine completions longer than that, including four that went for 60 yards or longer.

An ankle injury to deep threat Holmes and shaky pass protection are two culprits of late.

"When we've called (long passes), we've given up sacks in maximum-protection situations," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "Either we haven't gotten open, or we've gotten pressured. We're going to keep calling 'em, and we're going to need 'em, because you just can't keep nickel-and-diming against good football teams all day long. You have to have to some chunks."

A perfect example of a big-play breakdown occurred in the loss to New England, when the Steelers lined up on their 48, on the second play of the second half, trailing, 17-13.

"Oh, don't bring up that play," Arians said with a pained laugh.

Parker had just run for 18 yards. It was the ideal time to go deep. Arians called for a bomb to Hines Ward, set up by a fake screen and fake draw.

It went perfectly, except that Patriots tackle Vince Wilfork spun off a double team by Alan Faneca and Sean Mahan, shot up the middle and sacked Roethlisberger before he could unleash.

Ward was wide open for what might have been a 52-yard touchdown.

"Nobody was even around me, but Ben couldn't get the ball down to me," said Ward, whose longest reception this season is just 25 yards. "If we get that block there, the outcome of that game is probably different."

Arians said bad luck caused the sack.

"We had a problem with a protector stepping on another protector's foot. He lost his balance and got beat," Arians said.

Holmes missed two games with a high-ankle sprain but returned against New England. He said he aggravated the injury on his first catch but felt better as the game progressed.

The injury could use a good rest, but Holmes doesn't have that luxury. A reporter asked him Thursday if he'd noticed that high-ankle sprains will cause Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to miss six to eight weeks and Penguins forward Maxime Talbot up to a month.

"If it wasn't so short of a season for us, I'd probably be (doing) the same thing -- out for at least a month," Holmes said.

Even so, Holmes looked good in practice yesterday, sprinting to catch a long pass from Charlie Batch.

Nobody needs to tell Holmes how critical he is to the offense. More deep passes could create more room for Parker on the ground.

"That's the reason they brought me in here," Holmes said, "to be somebody to help Hines stretch the field, somebody to get the deep balls, and a guy who's just going to make the explosive plays."

The kind the Steelers have been missing.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_542675.html

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 12-14-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added link.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers Short on Long Gains

O-line is getting worse each year and the new offensive coordinator is more conservative than the last one.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Fire Arians!

Seriously, it's all right here in this article. Protection breakdowns lead to execution breakdowns, and the playcalling isn't necessarily to blame. This should also illustrate to some people who just don't get it that at the professional level, if something doesn't work, you can't just give up on it. The problems up front cascade into problems all around. No long passes, no long runs. It all starts up front.

See, I pop right out and here we have the first example. Arians is forced to be conservative, because it's all we have to work with. HOW IS THAT HIS FAULT?!?!

Should we be throwing 10 more bombs a game so Ben can get sacked 8 more times? Bad OL play has a ripple effect through the whole offense, all the way up to how the OC calls the game.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
FAB802
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2895

You are right about the line being lousy this year in pass protection. However, Arains is always getting cute whn stuff is working. There is ZERO excuse for the playcalling on second and goal in NE. We gashed them at will on the ground and you throw a fade to a short receiver with an injured ankle, and then run a receiver reverse? I'm usually against overdoing it with the run when teams load up to stop it. The Patsies didn't bother. We should have ran the ball a Hell of a lot more the way Willie was going and that's a different game. Going into halftime their defense was on it's heels from being on the field so much. I hope those who think fixing the line will help, but I don't see it.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

sucks to hear we had a potential game breaking play sunday blown up because we couldnt stop a rusher while being double teamed.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
FAB802
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
sucks to hear we had a potential game breaking play sunday blown up because we couldnt stop a rusher while being double teamed.
No kidding, the fact that our guys are tripping over eachother is pretty comical.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is the beauty of Monday Morning QB's with perfect 20/20 hindsight. They are always right, and the coach is always wrong. If either of those plays would have been executed better, and the Steelers would have scored, the PLAYERS would have been showered with praise and maybe 3 people here would have given credit to the OC. It's the same every year, on every board, after every loss (and some wins). Every message board is filled with brilliant offensive and defensive coordinators who know way more than the coaches who actually immerse themselves in the game 24/7 for years and years.

Professional football is an incredibly complex game. There are sixteen coaches on the Steelers payroll. SIXTEEN. I trust that anyone of those 16 guys has forgotten 10X more about football then the top 10 football minds on here combined know.

But, hey, what do I know. I'm sure the Steelers coaches just went and grabbed some McDonald's at halftime and phoned in the second half.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
FAB802
Draft Prospect

Nobody said anything about McDonalds. What did I say that was false in that post? Our line does struggle pass blocking. He did get too cute on the drive in the red zone. If he runs straight up twice we score. We dominated time of possession the first half and it was already showing in the way their defense was looking. I don't need 20/20 to see that.

Running the ball wears out the defense and keeps their offense off the field. That also includes the front seven which would slow the rush some and open it up more later in the game. They pretty much decided to take away the pass. There have been games earlier in the season where it was the opposite and we ran more. I'm not always right, but I'm not getting paid a ton of money to run an offense either. There's nothing complex about if they don't stop it, don't fix it. Their OC sure the Hell figured that out.

Right now they are the better team and should beat us at home. The playoff's are a new ball game and nothing I saw Sunday makes me believe we can't beat them if we execute. I don't think any of this makes me a hater, it makes me a realist.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I don't care if we are dead last in this category as long as we win games!
However, what does bother me is when the team doesn't come out to play for 60 minutes!! That's more of a problem this year than is the long play percentages!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
vardogr
Water Boy

Member Number: 7938

i see a lot of areas for improvement right now on both sides of the ball. The offensive line has definitely been a weak link in pass protection. Also, I still miss a power runner like Bettis to compliment a runner with Parker's style. Actually, when Bettis played it was the speedy guys who complimented his ground and pound. This void hurts a lot of the Steelers' versatility, Davenport has filled in some, but not enough.

The Steelers' D didn't have an answer for the short pass. And where has Blitzburgh gone? In the past, playing the pats just made me laugh because I knew that Brady was going to get knocked around a bit. This year, watching the Steelers' D, while of course they are great, I find the thoughts running through my head "you know, I havent seen a sack in awhile . . ."

The Steelers' also have to get mentally tougher. When the pats did that Brady -> Moss -> Brady -> TD pass play, you could feel the wind let out of their sails. They cant let some cheap antics knock them out. We need to big plays to put us right back in those games, especially if we are to have a prayer in the post season.
vardogr is offline   Reply With Quote