Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836
Default NFL and Steeler newbies...Q&A`s

Dear Mods,
Would it be ok to start a new thread where rookies could ask the members of this forum for help regarding all things NFL and Steelers that they find confusing...in my case that`s just about everything!
I try to glean as much info as I can from the internet but sometimes I feel it would be much more productive to get some 1on1 counselling to help me deal with the frustration that derives from my ignorance
Just to warn you,last count I had around a thousand questions that needed answering !!!
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: NFL and Steeler newbies...Q&A`s

Ask away, I may be able to help with some questions, although there are many more knowledgeable members here.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Basics could be found from your very own BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ll/default.stm And for the rest I'm sure the guys here would help you out.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Sure, sherlock - ask away. We have a ton of great football minds around here - one of the reasons Steelers Fever is #1 on the net!

Start the thread and I'll sticky it for you.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Question No.1....I think I understand downs and that the offense has to gain 10 yards and that they have 4 chances to do so,but you will see on the tv screen for example "1and12" or "3and10"...What does the second number represent?

Question No.2...I have noticed that many of the players have two numbers on their helmets,their team number but also another number..What does the other number signify?
Thank you for your help and thank you for your kind replies to my original post.
Good luck for today Steelers!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
Question No.1....I think I understand downs and that the offense has to gain 10 yards and that they have 4 chances to do so,but you will see on the tv screen for example "1and12" or "3and10"...What does the second number represent?

Question No.2...I have noticed that many of the players have two numbers on their helmets,their team number but also another number..What does the other number signify?
Thank you for your help and thank you for your kind replies to my original post.
Good Morning Sherlock... and welcome to the forrum
The 1 and 12 etc. that you are seeing is the down.. which is 1st and the yardage needed to get another 1st down. Yes, you have 4 downs to get the needed 10 yards, but you have a choice on 3rd down of whether you punt the ball back to the other team. Punting means that you kick the ball to the other team and try to stop them from scoring or gettting 1st downs.
The numbers on the back of their helmets are in rememberance of someone that has passed away.
God Bless You and Have Fun on The Boards..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
SteelCurtain
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 571

Quote:

In regard to your first question. The second number is the amount of yards they need to gain a first down. They may have more or less than 10 depending on if they gained or lost yards on the previous play or from a penalty. So take 1st and 15. That would mean on the previous play there was a 5 yard penalty, but no loss of down. So now instead of the normal 10 yards to gain for another 1st down that you start out with; you now have to gain an extra 5. Say that it is 3rd and 13. This means that sometime in the previous 2 plays they lost some yardage and now have to gain 13 yards to gain a first down. Do you understand? I don't know how clear that is lol....

As for the second question. They wear a second number because that number has some significance. I believe the Patriots wear 91, because a former player had died and they wear his number in honor of him. I believe some other teams may be wearing Sean Taylor's or Kevin Everett's numbers, too.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Thank you for your answers Elvis and SteelCurtain,things are alot clearer now!....I really appreciate your time and effort.
Question No.3...In the light of todays game,do you get instances of a team not playing very well,scraping into the playoffs and then reaching the Super Bowl!?....If not,there`s a first time for everything!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Thank you for your answers Elvis and SteelCurtain,things are alot clearer now!....I really appreciate your time and effort.
Question No.3...In the light of todays game,do you get instances of a team not playing very well,scraping into the playoffs and then reaching the Super Bowl!?....If not,there`s a first time for everything!
I love this question!!!

Yes sir, it does happen!!

In 2005, the Pittsburgh Steelers became the first 6th seed team to ever win the Superbowl! They did the "impossible" by winning 4 road games in the playoffs to win Superbowl XL.

This is a great dvd to watch.......it give recaps of the regular season and the playoffs.

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl..._sim_d_title_1
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Thank you stillers4me...I can understand your amusement at my question...I really am a Steelers novice
So I guess the Steelers fans have nothing to worry about this season

The dvd looks a must buy.
Are there any other dvd`s or books about the NFL and Steelers you would recommend for a numpty like myself..a beginners guide if you like.