Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default I'm embarrassed

Last week I read the "I'm embarassed" thread all about how terrible we played on national TV against the Pats . . . and similar threads continue this week.

Well, I'd like to say that I am equally emarrassed by a group I am a part of . . . the Steeler fans. It was apparent and extensively commented on by the TV announcers that the Steeler fans were leaving in droves shortly into the third quarter.

I have no problem with critcizing the team---even if I don't all agree. But---we all claim to have the greatest fan base in the country---didn't look like it today.--I think it gave us a pretty big black eye.

Our offense didn't quit today---and even though they didn't win---they deserved our support.

Also, I know that I (and thousands of people on the season ticket waiting list) would give a right arm for season tickets---so when you decide to leave (when the game is clearly not decided) remember how lucky you are to have tix.

I was embarassed today not by the Steelers but by our fans.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: I'm embarrassed

How about the fact that half the seats were empty at the start of the 2nd half thru the end of a 20 play drive that ended with a Jacksonville touchdown. Looked like a Pitt game.

I think we're seeing the result of the popularity of the Steelers coming back to bite them. Too many casual fans buying tickets. Hell, most die hard Steeler fans can't afford the tickets. End result is you have a bunch of yuppie, wanna be, fans that are too cold to sit in thier seats. Some home field advantage.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

definitely. this is not lions fans we're talking about, is steelers fans, one of the most dedicated fan bases in professional sports. I'm totally embarassed by that
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

The fans paid for their tickets so as far as I'm concerned they can leave when they want to leave. I can't blame some of them for refusing to sit out there in the cold and snow and watch, what was to that point in the game, a pitiful performance by the Steelers.

Those fans in the stands only represent about 2% of the Steelers Nation so I wouldn't consider early-exiting fans as a black eye to the entire fan base.

Many of those fans who left early were probably in their 60's or 70's. They've paid their dues to the organization. I won't criticize them for getting out of the cold and away from that ugliness displayed on the field.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Its America so obviously anyone can come and go as they please, but I believe as a fan you have an obligation to your team to make as much noise as possible when the opposing offense is on the field. Hard to do that from the concession stand or the bathroom or where ever half the fans were hiding at the start of the 2nd half.

I expect to see that at the Meadowlands but not in Pittsburgh.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

it happens in every stadium during games like that and in those conditions.. so it shouldnt come as a surprise.. that doesnt make a fan base any more or less than another. i would stay, but thats my choice.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I didn't see it as a problem either but my problem was when they bood ben and ward for not making that catch they are two of the best and nobody is going to make every play.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
gobig99
Water Boy

Member Number: 4802
Default whats wrong with Steeler Country?

It seems as if a ton of fans are "dead" this year.
There is not much enthusiasm in the parking lots before the games, and the city seems lifeless.
This past weekend the crowd only got into it when it snowed before the kickoff, and in the last 5 min of the game.
It dissapointing compared to what it used to be like, especially at Three Rivers.
People are trying to buy lower level tickets for less than $20 and are walking away if you want anymore.
I used to pay over $150 in the late 90's for some games easily.
The "crazyness" just isn't what it used to be in the burgh.
One guy asked me if it was "club level", I said no its lower level, and he walked away.
It has been football weather and it all these whimpy fans want to just relax back in their seats then they should just stay home and watch it on the couch in the heat.

anyone notice any of this?
gobig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: whats wrong with Steeler Country?

why are you selling your tickets? lol
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
gobig99
Water Boy

Member Number: 4802
Default Re: whats wrong with Steeler Country?

haha...i had 3 and only two people...I sure as hell went to the game don't worry about that
its just sad. people walk away from you for more than $10
even besides that, it just isn't like it used to be
gobig99 is offline   Reply With Quote