Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555
Default Random thoughts Questions afterJags game:

Not complaints in all cases but just some random questions/ thoughts:

- Steelers got a roughing the passer call on haggans for hitting below the knee of the QB , yet Ben gets sacked (harder I might add) on a similar type of play where the defender was diving at is feet .....yet no call ?
- How was that hit on Rossum not leading with the head/helmet ? I know it was a hard hit for sure but man it looked like a head first missle....
- above examples are not reasons we lost but another week where I scratched my head on some of the calls
- Since Ben can throw well on the run why do we not have some designed roll out plays to aviod some of the constant pressure
- How does the # 1Defence go 3 or 4 different games without any sacks ? I wont even mention the low interception totals....
- With the O line so bad this year how the heck does Ben throw for a record amount of TD's and Willie run for so many yards. Both are having great seasons and deserve to be in the Pro Bowl. (Minus Faneca and any other Oline members)
- I really think Heinz feild conditions has hurt our rythum on offense this year and we would be better suited to the feild turf.
- Isn't it ironic......Nate finally makes a nice leaping grab and holds on to the ball..........yet gets hurt on the play
- Where has Matt Spaeth gone ? Seems he would be a nice tall receiving option. Maybe he is blocking and helping the Oline all the time.

Can we get the ship sraigthened out - I say we can but it won't be easy....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Random thoughts Questions afterJags game:

Nate's alright, after that catch I thought he had torn his knee or something, but he came back 2 series after.

After tuman got hurt I think they got Spaeth doing some of the blocking tuman did. that's my theory at least
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Steelers always seem to get bad mojo when they play Jacksonville. Everything that could possibly go wrong for Pittsburgh do go wrong against these guys, and they lose.

-Ben having appendix surgery before playing them last year.
-Can't stop or tackle Fred Taylor. Ever.
-Tommy Maddox literally giving away the game in 2005.
-Losing to them in 1995.
-Blowing wad in 1996 Season opener.
-Now this.

Missed FG's, bad bounces, you name it. The Jags just have our number. This is the third year in a row they've beaten the Steelers. It's late 90's revisited.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

we always get screwed on those bullshit roughing the passer calls. ben gets hit as much as anybody in the league behind the line and i think we have had one roughing call all season.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,155 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
we always get screwed on those bullshit roughing the passer calls. ben gets hit as much as anybody in the league behind the line and i think we have had one roughing call all season.
Ben also keeps a lot of plays alive that pretty much no other QB could, so I think the refs let a bit (more like a lot) more slide in his case. Look at the helmet-to-helmet hit by a Falcons player on him last year that resulted in a concussion - not even so much as a flag. If the same thing happened to Brady, the guy who made the hit would have gotten a 15-yarder, an immediate ejection from the game and probably a suspension without pay from a few more games after that to boot. It's a double-edged sword.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Early Mistakes cost Steelers

I know that the Steelers were awful defensively Sunday. I know they were beat up by the Jaguars. However one play comes to mind late in the 1st half with the Steelrs up 7-3. Hines Ward dropping a perfect throw from Ben that would have given us a first down . The result was a punt and Jacksonville took the ball down and scored to go up10-7 at the half.
If there was a turning point that was it. First down there the Steelers move down field for maybe a score and go in with a halftime lead. Would they have played better in the 2nd half, who knows but I believe that changed the game. The result is the same however, champions overcome the Steelers did not and are destined for a likely first round playoff against the Jags.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192
Default Re: Early Mistakes cost Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I know that the Steelers were awful defensively Sunday. I know they were beat up by the Jaguars. However one play comes to mind late in the 1st half with the Steelrs up 7-3. Hines Ward dropping a perfect throw from Ben that would have given us a first down . The result was a punt and Jacksonville took the ball down and scored to go up10-7 at the half.
If there was a turning point that was it. First down there the Steelers move down field for maybe a score and go in with a halftime lead. Would they have played better in the 2nd half, who knows but I believe that changed the game. The result is the same however, champions overcome the Steelers did not and are destined for a likely first round playoff against the Jags.
I agree that's what I told my wife when it happened. My exact words were "if we lose this game this will be the turning point of the game".
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
RP_McMurphy
Water Boy

Member Number: 7905

95 game in Jacksonville was my first ever Jaguars game. I had just transferred to the Jacksonville area a week early and was able to score some tickets. I was in the south end zone and it was early October and very hot still. For some reason the Jaguars as a team and organization have been able to get motivated and ready to play the Steelers. Now if only Jacksonville can do the same thing to those Colts.
RP_McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
I agree that's what I told my wife when it happened. My exact words were "if we lose this game this will be the turning point of the game".

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
geo123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post

All receivers drop a ball here and there; thats something they and the team have to overcome. I have been critical of the O myself but they did get 2 late scores to tie the game. The D on the other hand let the Jags go 70yds in 3 min for a TD.
I still think that the O must be more consistant on their drives. Too many 3 and outs. They need to score early and get a lead for a change.
geo123 is offline   Reply With Quote