Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Missing....

So as I've sat quietly (ok maybe not so quietly) and watched the last couple of games I've come to realize that our team is missing a few things:

1. IDENTITY - who we use to be as a team is not who we are 15 weeks into the 2007 season. While we are still on the verge of the playoffs, our defense is not feared - more so it is laughed at. And our offense is a farce.

2. DEFENSIVE LEADERS - while I will not say that we miss Peezy on the field, I will say that we miss him in the locker room. There is not one person on the defense that stands up and takes control. Someone needs to do that in order for this unit to come together. Young players are making bonehead comments and young & old players alike are making bonehead plays on the field!

3. OFFENSIVE LEADERS - No one on the O-Line is really standing out and pulling everyone together. It seems that no one knows where their teammate is going or who is picking up blocks. And NO ONE has stood up in key games and taken control of the offense. The last one falls on Ben. In order to take this team to a more productive level Ben has to take over this team and be a field general - ala the great one TERRY BRADSHAW!

4. COACHING CONSISTENCY - Since the ratbird blow out our units have been at opposite ends of the spectrum. If our offense has been on fire, our defense can't stop anyone. IF our defense has been lights out, then our offense can't move the ball. It seems that some of that falls on play calling vs. player performance. Our coaches need to do a better job of scouting our opponent and putting together game plans.

5. SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY - Our special teams are, well, special (in a short yellow bus kind of way). We haven't had a threat since ARE and this current group is more prone to allowing a big one then the old man on Sanford and Son!!!

And while I will always bleed BLACK AND GOLD, I'm a little bothered by the fact that my team is M.I.A.!

I can only pray that they are found in time to take back what is theirs and make another run into the record books!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027
Default Re: Missing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
And NO ONE has stood up in key games and taken control of the offense. The last one falls on Ben.
Ben stepped up and took control of the game in the comeback against Cleveland. Right now, that looks like one of our most important wins.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozMan View Post
Ben stepped up and took control of the game in the comeback against Cleveland. Right now, that looks like one of our most important wins.
Touche' - but I guess what bothers me is that the others aren't always following his lead and he's putting too much on his shoulders. He can't play all 22 positions, and special teams to pull out a win. I'm sure he would if he could.

It would be nice if we (as fans) were able to see at least one more game, preferablly at least 3 or 4 or 5 more where the team plays as a complete and total UNIT!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:

2. DEFENSIVE LEADERS - while I will not say that we miss Peezy on the field, I will say that we miss him in the locker room. There is not one person on the defense that stands up and takes control. Someone needs to do that in order for this unit to come together. Young players are making bonehead comments and young & old players alike are making bonehead plays on the field!
i get what you are saying and i agree. but i don't remember porter taking control. i remember his lame rants, boasts and incoherent babble, but nothing that could be confused with leading or taking control. any player can say "who ride, we ride" over and over again. the steelers need someone on the field to direct everyone and lead by example. perhaps harrison will do this next season. the steeler haven't had these types of players since lloyd, woodson, lake etc...
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

I think this past loss has to be put squarely on the O-Line.

Ben did everything within his power to bring us back into that game!

It's up to the hogs up front to keep Ben off his back, at this rate he'll be on his back more often than Paris Hilton!!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i think we just need a defense that tackles well and a POWER running game... i somehow dont like the idea of willie being a speed back and running up the gut... he needs to lose ten pounds and show us his 4.23 speed.... we need a jerome... or a little more possible marion barber...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
i get what you are saying and i agree. but i don't remember porter taking control. i remember his lame rants, boasts and incoherent babble, but nothing that could be confused with leading or taking control. any player can say "who ride, we ride" over and over again. the steelers need someone on the field to direct everyone and lead by example. perhaps harrison will do this next season. the steeler haven't had these types of players since lloyd, woodson, lake etc...
My point about JP was that his energy and demeanor in the locker room transpired on the field in others and himself (before last years demise). It has become evident this year that no-one on defense is filling in that role either in the locker room or on the field.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i think we just need a defense that tackles well and a POWER running game... i somehow dont like the idea of willie being a speed back and running up the gut... he needs to lose ten pounds and show us his 4.23 speed.... we need a jerome... or a little more possible marion barber...
I think Arians has lost our offensive identity and it shows in the play calling and execution. This season is really starting to remind me of the last time Tommy Maddox was at the helm!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
So as I've sat quietly (ok maybe not so quietly) and watched the last couple of games I've come to realize that our team is missing a few things:

1. IDENTITY - who we use to be as a team is not who we are 15 weeks into the 2007 season. While we are still on the verge of the playoffs, our defense is not feared - more so it is laughed at. And our offense is a farce.
While I agree we lack identity on offense, I think your logic is flawed.

Our identity is skewed because Arians cant figure out what the hell he wants to be. He runs Willie to death when the run isnt there, and when it is there, he passes more.

Until 2 weeks ago, our defense was playing lights out. Injuries to key players on defense and just overall fatigue of the defense has led to a slip. Our defense has the same identity it always has...stop the run and get after the QB. Aside from 2 games this year, we have stopped the run well (one of which we were missing a key part of our DLine) and we dont have an elite pass rusher at OLB or a solid pass rushing DE.

And calling our offense a farce is absurd. The OLine might be a farce, but thats it. Statistially, our QB is top 5 and our RB is first in the league.

Quote:
Aaron Smith and James Farrior are both vocal leaders on the defense. Are the as emotional as Joey? No, but they dont need to be. This defense was great for the majority of the year. I would rather have Silverback's production than Peezy's mouth. Porter is all bark.

Lack of defensive leaders isnt the problem. Execution is.

Quote:
3. OFFENSIVE LEADERS - No one on the O-Line is really standing out and pulling everyone together. It seems that no one knows where their teammate is going or who is picking up blocks. And NO ONE has stood up in key games and taken control of the offense. The last one falls on Ben. In order to take this team to a more productive level Ben has to take over this team and be a field general - ala the great one TERRY BRADSHAW!
I do agree with your comment about the OLine, and not having a leader. Faneca has been a letdown in all aspects this year. He hasnt been the leader of that line like he used to be because he is pouting about his contract. I think Colon has the potential to be an emotional leader, but he is still progressing, and with vets like Smith, Simmons and Faneca, someone shouldve stepped up by now. Its too late for this season though, and its obvious this OLine needs revamped in a major way.

I really dont know what you are talking about as far as Ben not stepping up. Ben has been the one who has kept us in alot of the games we lost. Terrry Bradshaw played behind a much better OLine. Ben has been a stellar leader this year, so I dont see where you are getting that.

Quote:
4. COACHING CONSISTENCY - Since the ratbird blow out our units have been at opposite ends of the spectrum. If our offense has been on fire, our defense can't stop anyone. IF our defense has been lights out, then our offense can't move the ball. It seems that some of that falls on play calling vs. player performance. Our coaches need to do a better job of scouting our opponent and putting together game plans.
I do agree with you on this to a point, but people tend to put too much blame on the coaches. Have they been perfect? Not even close. Does the coaching staff deseve some blame? Absolutely. But when it comes right down to it, lack of execution by our players has been our biggest shortcomiong.

Football is more about the John's and Joe's than the X's and O's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck;341801[B
5. SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY[/B] - Our special teams are, well, special (in a short yellow bus kind of way). We haven't had a threat since ARE and this current group is more prone to allowing a big one then the old man on Sanford and Son!!!
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point.

For a team that prides itself on being great in all three phases of the game, ST's hasnt done a thing. Our kickoff/punt coverage is laughable and the Allen Rossum trade was pointless.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Our identity is skewed because Arians cant figure out what the hell he wants to be. He runs Willie to death when the run isnt there, and when it is there, he passes more.
So then I could still assume that our identity is still missing. And maybe you're right it's not the players creating the identity it's Arians not making the calls.

Quote:
Until 2 weeks ago, our defense was playing lights out. Injuries to key players on defense and just overall fatigue of the defense has led to a slip. Our defense has the same identity it always has...stop the run and get after the QB. Aside from 2 games this year, we have stopped the run well (one of which we were missing a key part of our DLine) and we dont have an elite pass rusher at OLB or a solid pass rushing DE.
Our defense was great up through the ratbird game and then all of a sudden, it seems that they've forgotten how to play "lights out", let alone the fundamental techniques of football. Shoulder tackles look great but suck at taking players down!!

Quote:
And calling our offense a farce is absurd. The OLine might be a farce, but thats it. Statistially, our QB is top 5 and our RB is first in the league.
What I meant by calling them a farce is that they have moments of brilliance and then absolutely darkness as if they are playing togther for the first time. And that is a farce to me.

Quote:
Lack of defensive leaders isnt the problem. Execution is.
I can agree with this but it seems to me that the leadership isn't showing up when execution breaks down. And it appears that players give up during the game. It reminds me of the quote from "Remember the Titans" - "Attitude reflects leadership...Captain!" And if that's the case, then leadership has given up too.

Quote:
I really dont know what you are talking about as far as Ben not stepping up. Ben has been the one who has kept us in alot of the games we lost. Terrry Bradshaw played behind a much better OLine. Ben has been a stellar leader this year, so I dont see where you are getting that.
My point here wasn't about Ben not making plays, it's more along the lines of being a field general. And it seems that unless he's scrambling for his life then there's no play to be made. I remember Bradshaw not being a great QB, instead he was a great field general and could bring the team together when needed. IMHO, some players aren't ready to follow Ben and that's a problem.

Quote:
For a team that prides itself on being great in all three phases of the game, ST's hasnt done a thing. Our kickoff/punt coverage is laughable and the Allen Rossum trade was pointless.
What kills me about the entire STs is that we had some great players on them over the last few years and the FO has seen it fit to let them go. I can't recall the guy a few years ago that traveled around and then made it back to the Steelers by seasons end only to be let go again this year. The guy was incredibly insane and proved to have a niche' for ST play!!!

Let us pray that this all comes together Thursday night and then the following Sunday against the ratbirds.