Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,904 Posts
Default Handling of Pats? Tapes Raises Questions

At least if the Pats win it all they will continue to be portrayed as crooks by the media while doing it.

Here is the latest from The New York Times (excerpts and link) - any Pats fan who wants to flame away, bring it on - your team is loathsome.

N.F.L.?s Handling of Patriots? Tapes Is Beginning to Raise Questions

The N.F.L. reacted swiftly when the Spygate mess surfaced in September. Commissioner Roger Goodell promised on national television that there would be a full investigation of the New England Patriots? covert filming of Jets defensive signals. He ordered the Patriots to send any videotapes filmed in violation of N.F.L. rules to the league office....

Two crisis-management experts used the same word ? fishy ? to describe the league?s handling of the situation, saying the destruction of the tapes raised questions about what they contained....

?The strategy is profoundly bad,? said Al Tortorella, the managing director of crisis management for Los Angeles-based Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide. ?I don?t know why they would destroy the tapes. That?s astounding. There?s no criminality here, but it sure doesn?t pass the smell test.?

Questions remain: How many tapes showed evidence of cheating? In what games? In the playoffs? In the Super Bowl? By other teams?...

?Roger Goodell learned what Richard Nixon did not,? Tortorella said. ?If the tapes are destroyed, you keep your job.?...

The N.F.L. said the Patriots signed a statement that the league was in possession of the only copies of the evidence, all of which have been destroyed. Tortorella said they should not be so sure.

?That might come back to haunt them,? he said. ?I know this: nobody ever makes one Xerox copy. Nobody ever makes one tape. Nobody ever makes one set of anything. Based on that, I?m not sure this crisis is over yet.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/sp...all/16spy.html

This quote sums it all up Pats fans

?Spygate will be the biggest story if they win the Super Bowl.?

Nobody likes a cheater
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Handling of Pats? Tapes Raises Questions

I've echoed the same sentiments myself recently. Of course, I'm just being jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
The league investigation into this matter was a complete whitewash, and I came away thinking that Goodell is nothing more than a lapdog of Kraft's and that he wanted to sweep the whole thing under the rug more than anything else. The "penalty" was a joke as well. They destroyed the materials that the Patriots handed over without any sort of independent review. Not only that, they took the Pats' word for it that they surrendered all the necessary materials. Sorry, but something stinks in Denmark to me.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
“Spygate will be the biggest story if they win the Super Bowl.”
If the Cheatriots do win the SB (which I don't believe they will), no one outside of their organization and bandwagon hoppin' fan base will remember them as champs. They'll always be remembered as chumps* and cheats.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Two crisis-management experts used the same word ? fishy ? to describe the league?s handling of the situation, saying the destruction of the tapes raised questions about what they contained....
How can you be suspicious of what they contained when the video has already been leaked to Fox?
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Lok1GT
Water Boy

Member Number: 7672

Quote:
Questions remain: How many tapes showed evidence of cheating? In what games? In the playoffs? In the Super Bowl? By other teams?...
That's why.
Just because Fox showed one 30 second clip does not mean that this was the only taping.
Lok1GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,757 Times in 1,788 Posts

They should hammer one of these on everything they have won with belicheat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
How can you be suspicious of what they contained when the video has already been leaked to Fox?
My point is it is not just "jealous" fans - anyone who has prosecuted an obstruction of justice case knows what conclusion to draw when evidence is destroyed preemptively
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
My point is it is not just "jealous" fans - anyone who has prosecuted an obstruction of justice case knows what conclusion to draw when evidence is destroyed preemptively
Yeah but jealousy is a factor. I'll always be jealous of the yankees whether or not I want to admit it. It's part of human nature. I mean, if Miami got caught cheating against Denver in week one, I'm sure it would have been met with the same repulsion but the subject would have died down by now, except for the occasional taunting by Patriots fans. I don't see any hot topics about Falcons fans defending dogfighting. I don't see anybody here angry with Petrino for hopping ship. Why? Because they're not winning like the Patriots.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,757 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Yeah but jealousy is a factor. I'll always be jealous of the yankees whether or not I want to admit it. It's part of human nature. I mean, if Miami got caught cheating against Denver in week one, I'm sure it would have been met with the same repulsion but the subject would have died down by now, except for the occasional taunting by Patriots fans. I don't see any hot topics about Falcons fans defending dogfighting. I don't see anybody here angry with Petrino for hopping ship. Why? Because they're not winning like the Patriots.
Ummmm......Doesn't cheating help you win like the pats.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
That's the issue.

They ARE winning, because of suspicious behavior.

Mike Vick and Bobby Petrino's actions aren't giving them an unfair advantage against the rest of the league.

You expect the rest of the league to sit back and let the Patriots cheat themselves to the top prize in football?