Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts
Default Re: Timmons and Harrison (Silverback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTEEL View Post
I think I have to agree with this viewpoint.

While Harrison is having a great season, and the Steelers should most definitely keep him around - Timmons is future star and should be given a shot at inside before Harrison.....

just my tuppence.... :)
What has Timmons shown you that makes him a future star?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Timmons moving inside is a possiblity and I hae wondered if it would happen myself...however, I have to remind myself that Harrison is 29, and this draft would be the perfect time to draft a young LBer so that we have three studs in ...say...3 years.
Afterr taking 2 LB picks at the top of last year's draft another high LB pick is not going to happen in 2008 unless the plan is to convert that player to OL.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #23
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Afterr taking 2 LB picks at the top of last year's draft another high LB pick is not going to happen in 2008 unless the plan is to convert that player to OL.
couldnt have said it better myself atlanta Dan

We probably will draft around the 20-spot this year....last year Joe staley was taken by the 9ers around that spot....would a guy like that solve our problems??? to be honest I am not sure.

As much as it seems that selecting a OL is a slam dunk....I am concerned about the WR position. whether we all like it or not, our identity on Offense has transitioned from a running team to a throwing team

ask yourself...how many passing teams in the NFL would utilize Nate Washington & C Wilson as their #3 and 4 WRs....probably not too many

we cant win by relying on Bens passing if his weapons are so....I hate to say this....TALENT-LESS....not that they are worthless or anything....but they are not legitimate options as WRs in a pass happy offense

how high on the list of priorities is the WR position on draft day?

personally I would rather see them invest in a FA WR due to the development yrs most young WRs go through....but our bargain bin shopping in FA leaves little to be desired
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
couldnt have said it better myself atlanta Dan

We probably will draft around the 20-spot this year....last year Joe staley was taken by the 9ers around that spot....would a guy like that solve our problems??? to be honest I am not sure.

As much as it seems that selecting a OL is a slam dunk....I am concerned about the WR position. whether we all like it or not, our identity on Offense has transitioned from a running team to a throwing team

ask yourself...how many passing teams in the NFL would utilize Nate Washington & C Wilson as their #3 and 4 WRs....probably not too many

we cant win by relying on Bens passing if his weapons are so....I hate to say this....TALENT-LESS....not that they are worthless or anything....but they are not legitimate options as WRs in a pass happy offense

how high on the list of priorities is the WR position on draft day?

personally I would rather see them invest in a FA WR due to the development yrs most young WRs go through....but our bargain bin shopping in FA leaves little to be desired
You could have Randy Moss and Terrell Owens running patterns but if Ben is constantly running for his life and banged up by mid-season it will not matter who is at WR.

Add to that the Steelerws mixed bag with #1 picks at WR (Edwards, Burress, Holmes) or for that matter any WR picks (Fred Gibson at #4) and I shudder at burning more high picks at WR.

A real problem is the high round "project" picks that have not panned out - Steelers need to pick several OL from name brand schools in this year's higher rounds
Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #25
Davison_K
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5369

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
Why would get rid of or trade either?

Harrison will be 30 next year. Timmons will only be 22. Timmons is more of a project. He has great ability, but is still very raw.
Unless you see Timmons moved inside, I don't foresee really any huge changes to our ROLB. I think LOLB will definitely be Woodley, but says that Timmons and Woodley don't compeat for LOLB?
Davison_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #26
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Actually I was hoping we may pick up Travelle Wharton from the Carolina Panthers, use our first pick on a stud OL...and then use our 2nd and 3rd picks to shore up weak areas...and positions where we are aging.

I've gone on record as saying that we could afford Ben...and pick up a quality OL if we just let our free agents next year go....Brian St. Pierre, Dan Kreider, Alan Faneca, Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex, Max Starks,& Nick Eason...at a savings of more than 7 million
I also would like to see if any one is stupid enough to take Cedric Wilson...either in a trade...or JUST OFF OUR HANDS!!!...and we could pick up a WR like Brandon Lloyd.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #27
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Quote:
Actually I was hoping we may pick up Travelle Wharton from the Carolina Panthers, use our first pick on a stud OL...and then use our 2nd and 3rd picks to shore up weak areas...and positions where we are aging.

I've gone on record as saying that we could afford Ben...and pick up a quality OL if we just let our free agents next year go....Brian St. Pierre, Dan Kreider, Alan Faneca, Chris Kemoeatu, Trai Essex, Max Starks,& Nick Eason...at a savings of more than 7 million
I also would like to see if any one is stupid enough to take Cedric Wilson...either in a trade...or JUST OFF OUR HANDS!!!...and we could pick up a WR like Brandon Lloyd.
this could work

I just dont trust the FO with FA. Either we cant evaluate FA talent or the purse strings are too tight.

so cutting guys that we cant replace from within is SCAREY
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
this could work

I just dont trust the FO with FA. Either we cant evaluate FA talent or the purse strings are too tight.

so cutting guys that we cant replace from within is SCAREY
Out of all those guys...I might want to keep Kemo...although his inability to crack the starting lineup THIS year is scary.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #29
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

People need to pull back with the 4-3 talk. I can almost guarantee we wont go to a 4-3 base for at least 2-3 years. Casey Hampton is strictly a 3-4 NT. Aaron Smith could probably play DT in the 4-3. Woodley could become a down lineman, but I dont see great things if that happens.

As of right now, to run a successful 4-3 base, we would need:

1 pass rushing DT
1 pass rushing DE, but Id actually say 2 since I dont think Woodley would be great as a 4-3 DE in the NFL.
MIKE LB, we currently dont have any great options that could play the middle in the 4-3.
Timmons is versatile, so he could play Sam or Will. Right now, Timmons would probably play Will and Harrison Sam, but Harrison is too slow to play coverage on a consistant basis.

4-3 isnt going to happen for awhile, because A) LeBeau isnt going anywhere that we know of, and B) we just dont have the personnel.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Out of all those guys...I might want to keep Kemo...although his inability to crack the starting lineup THIS year is scary.
I have heard (maybe on this board) that Kemo cannot remember the plays - i agree that any OL who is not getting a chance at starting this year has major issues