Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default 2007 starters vs. 2008 starters - Changes a plenty?

Offense
Wont change - Ben, WIllie, Davis, Santonio, Heath

Possible changes - Hines...I doubt it but, his cap hit leaves the possibility open
- The entire offensive line is up for grabs
*Faneca (for obvious reasons), Marvel (health reasons & a possible position switch to RT), Mahan (obviously not the answer at C, but a move to G may take place), Simmons (contract guarantees he will be in the BnG but maybe not at RG), Colon (this guy makes me nuts...saw tons of potential last year but I always thought he would make a better G than T)*

Backups that play whose future is in question - all WRs & TEs (if we are gonna be a pass happy team that relies on Ben then Cedric, Nate, Reid, Tuman are all on the chopping block

Starks is a guy that might end up being a starter for us next year, maybe at LT....his audition began a few games ago and will continue Thursday night....he will cost some coin though, cause someteam out there will offer him starting LT money (whether he deserves it or not)

Defense
Wont change - Casey, Aaron Smith, Kiesel, Troy, Ike
Possible changes - All four LB spots are in question for various reasons
*Haggans - contract year, Harrison -will be in the BnG but there is a slight possibility he moves inside (doubtful in my opinion), Farrior -still solid but aging fast & expensive, Foote -probably the mostt average of the four

- Deshea (hell, we all thought he would be replaced this season..still quite productive as a tackler and in zone coverage), MaFadden -Is it his time yet?, Anthony and Ryan Clark at the Safety position will battle again in camp

Integral backups - Timmons and Woodley....simply put, Where do they play and who do they replace?

well what do you guys think? Look into that crystal ball and tell me what you see
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558
Default Re: 2007 starters vs. 2008 starters - Changes a plenty?

QB: Big Ben
RB: Fast Willie
FB: Carey Davis: He needs replaced, but unless we draft Peyton Hillis, Jacob Hester or Owen Schmitt, Carey Davis will probably start again.
WR: Ward isnt going anywhere. We are weak at WR as it is, and we would still take a huge hit if we cut him. No chance. Holmes is easily the other starter.
TE: Heath
LT: Marvel...I believe he needs to be replaced or moved to RT. He isnt a great pass blocker and I dont trust him blocking Ben's blind side. He will definitely be starting though.
LG: New Starter here. Might be a rookie. They might slide Simmons over to LG and put Colon or Kemoeatu at RG, or they might just put Colon or Kemoeatu at LG. Depends on what they do this offseason.
C: I dont see Mahan getting the axe. The Steelers arent a team that gives up on players easily, and they made a commitment to Mahan. Not a great choice considering he was never really a quality starter and was unproven, but I seem him starting in 2008.
RG: Simmons is my guess. He will be starting somewhere on that line.
RT: Colon isnt a natural fit at tackle. He is short limbed and better suited for guard. I wouldnt be shocked if we did resign Starks and put him back at RT, but I would prefer just to draft Ryan Clady or another first rounder to take over here.

DE: Smith and Keisel will both be starting. We need to start looking for replacements, but they arent going anywhere,
DT: Big Snack, no explanaiton needed.
OLB:Woodley will replace Haggans. Harrison isnt going anywhere.
ILB: Nothing will change unless Timmons really steps up and overtakes Foote inside. Farrior is older but playing at a high level.
CB: I dont see anything changing, but Townsend is in serious need of a replacement.
S: Polamalu and probably Clark. Smith isnt mature enough and still has alot to lean.

K: Reed
P: Sep
Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
coachspeak33
Banned

if we run the same starters out there next yr that are there this yr.....UGGGGH...we all can expect more of the same...especially at OL and #3WR and #2RB
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
FourThreeMafia
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
if we run the same starters out there next yr that are there this yr.....UGGGGH...we all can expect more of the same...especially at OL and #3WR and #2RB
There is nothing wrong with our number 2 RB.

If we win the division, we are going to lose 10 games next year, book it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

LT - starks
LG - mahan
C - stapleton, FA, draft
RG - simmons(colon)
RT - smith

QB, RB, TE, K, P and WRs would be the same. ward may need to restructure.

DE - smith
NT - hampton
DE - kiesel, FA(paul spicer. no idea if he would be too high-priced. there are a few DT/DE in the FA agent market this coming year)

CBs and SS would be the same. FS will be clark if he doesn't retire due to his spleen injury. otherwise it looks like another year of smith or possibly carter at FS.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
coachspeak33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourThreeMafia View Post
There is nothing wrong with our number 2 RB.

If we win the division, we are going to lose 10 games next year, book it.
10 losses ?????
As for our #2RB...I would advise Najeh to rent not buy in the steel city
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

The only changes I see happening are:
Look to FA for a OLT
If we can get a FA Center, then Mahan to RG, if not I think we will be drafting a C and Mahan will play another season at C
I hope/wish we keep Faneca.
Harrison stays in, Woodley may get the nod and if Timmons improves this offseason he may get alot of playing time.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
coachspeak33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
LT - starks
LG - mahan
C - stapleton, FA, draft
RG - simmons(colon)
RT - smith

QB, RB, TE, K, P and WRs would be the same. ward may need to restructure.

DE - smith
NT - hampton
DE - kiesel, FA(paul spicer. no idea if he would be too high-priced. there are a few DT/DE in the FA agent market this coming year)

CBs and SS would be the same. FS will be clark if he doesn't retire due to his spleen injury. otherwise it looks like another year of smith or possibly carter at FS.
interesting.... a few thoughts
Ward's 9mil salary is gonna be an issue trhis offseason
Colon will start somewhere on our OL
Marvel is a guy who might be sending his resume out there this offseason
Starks might bolt...someone is gonna overpay for this mountain of a man
Spicer...would be nice but the FO will NEVER get a FA like this.....NEVER
Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

LT - Travelle Wharton (FA)
LG - Colon
C - Doug Legursky (Draft)
RG - Mahan
RT - Smith
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,950 Times in 3,010 Posts

if were gonna have a fire sell we will get worse before we get better.

a few things about the pats and cowboys the rooneys should look at- if linebacker or OL is a need, be prepared to shell out some money for a. thomas or l. davis.

if wr or rb is such a huge need there is always "risk outweighs the reward" players out there, such as r. moss, t. owens, or j. lewis.

if the #15 pick in the draft is going to be used for nothing more than a special teams tackler, then they might wanna think about trading that pick to the jets, browns, or 49ers. its fustrating to see patrick willis leading the league in tackles, david harris filling in perfectly for jon vilma, and the success demeco ryans has found since being in the league. rookie linebackers CAN be starters.

would anyone have a problem if we swapped l. timmons for san fransiscos top 10 pick on draft day? its a move we couldve easilly made. dallas got a free #1 pick just for allowing the browns to move up about 12-14 spots to take quinn.

dallas and the patriots built themselves to win now.

if we are gonna overhaul our line, lb's db's, wr's, and rb's, we will not do it in 1 draft. infact it would probably take 3-4 years to get all the pieces in place through the draft.

great players and coaches help but the table was set for the 90's cowboys with the herschel walker trade.

the patriots have a thanksgiving feast set up on the heels of trades for 1st rounders with seattle, buffalo, baltimore, and now the 49ers. look at the talent san diego got by trading eli and vick.