Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,945 Posts
Default Re: Sepulveda wins Steelers rookie honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
you're serious? a stinkin punter? I won't even get into how you should never draft a punter that high..

They screwed up if a 4th round punter is their best rookie, especially after an 8-8 season. I could see if they were a powerhouse the year before maybe and drafting a punter was just a luxury.
Agreed they drafted as if they had the roster of the '75 Steelers and were drafting for depth that might be needed in 2-3 years
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

the draft has been aweful the last four years. one good pick a year is not good draftiing. does colbert need to take some heat?
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Colbert hasn't exactly been great lately. Overpaying for Simmons (who sucks) was a terrible move, and the drafts lately have sucked. I'll give a partial pass for this year since its a rookie HC's first draft, but man...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
you're serious? a stinkin punter? I won't even get into how you should never draft a punter that high..

They screwed up if a 4th round punter is their best rookie, especially after an 8-8 season. I could see if they were a powerhouse the year before maybe and drafting a punter was just a luxury.
Geez, WARDen - maybe you should apply for Colbert's job and take over the draft for the Steelers. Probably comes with a 6 figure salary, great bennies and a good seat at Steelers games.

Holy sh it - you people B & M'ed about Gardocki last season, so the Steelers went out and got themselves one helluva punter and you people still B & M. There's no pleasing ya.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Geez, WARDen - maybe you should apply for Colbert's job and take over the draft for the Steelers. Probably comes with a 6 figure salary, great bennies and a good seat at Steelers games.

Holy sh it - you people B & M'ed about Gardocki last season, so the Steelers went out and got themselves one helluva punter and you people still B & M. There's no pleasing ya.
HTG - I am not hating on Sep - it is just not a good sign when the Steelers rookie of the year is a punter selected in the 4th round - name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
....name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden
Ray Guy - SB XVIII. Early in the game when there was really no momentum yet established by either team, Guy jumped at LEAST 3 feet vertically to field a bad snap and still got off a beautiful punt. At the very least, if the snap would have gone over his head, the 'Skins would have been DEEP in Raiders territory and it probably would have changed the entire complexion of that game. Of course that was one game, but it was the SB and Guy was always a great punter. Quality punters, much like quality PKs, are never appreciated until a team has a lousy one.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
HTG - I am not hating on Sep - it is just not a good sign when the Steelers rookie of the year is a punter selected in the 4th round - name one SB winner where the key component of the team was the punting - the Steelers won several SBs with Bobby Walden
I know you aren't Dan and I wasn't implying that you were. I just wish people would give Sep his rightful due - the punting game has improved with him back there and field position really is important, as you well know. If we had better punt coverage, I'm sure his numbers would escalate even higher. I'm just tired of hearing people B & M about a particular player one season and then when the Steelers upgrade at that position, they still B & M.

Sep was named ROOKIE of the year by the Steelers, not MVP. If he had been named the MVP, then I could understand the disdain around here.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Ray Guy - SB XVIII. Early in the game when there was really no momentum yet established by either team, Guy jumped at LEAST 3 feet vertically to field a bad snap and still got off a beautiful punt. At the very least, if the snap would have gone over his head, the 'Skins would have been DEEP in Raiders territory and it probably would have changed the entire complexion of that game. Of course that was one game, but it was the SB and Guy was always a great punter. Quality punters, much like quality PKs, are never appreciated until a team has a lousy one.
And that won that blowout?

I recall Marcus Allen was the SB MVP rather than Guy

Punting is not to be ignored, but it is not a crucial component of a SB winner - Walden had one blocked in SB IX & X.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
And that won that blowout?

I recall Marcus Allen was the SB MVP rather than Guy

Punting is not to be ignored, but it is not a crucial component of a SB winner - Walden had one blocked in SB IX & X.
It may not have been a blowout, and may have even been a Redskins win if it hadn't occurred. IMO, there were 3 game-changing plays in that game: Marcus Allen's reverse-field run, Theismann's pick-six right before the half, and Guy getting that punt off very early in the going. Well, actually 2, because the Raiders had the game in hand by the time Marcus Allen had that breakaway. The fact remains that Guy's amazing recovery of what could have been a disastrous situation for the Raiders very possibly could have saved the momentum from swinging in a big way to the 'Skins' favor. Like I said, that play came very early in that game when neither team had yet established momentum.

The Steel Curtain was a great eraser of huge mistakes both on STs and offense - there's a reason that D was the greatest of all time.

Last edited by fansince'76; 12-19-2007 at 10:52 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

The Steel Curtain was a great eraser of huge mistakes both on STs and offense - there's a reason that D was the greatest of all time.
You got me there