Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Reportcard / Game 15 -- Steelers vs. St. Louis Rams

Reportcard / Game 15 -- Steelers vs. St. Louis Rams
Friday, December 21, 2007

Quarterback: A
Ben Roethlisberger brought the big play back to the offense and threw three more touchdown passes, all in the first half, and finished with a perfect 158.3 passer rating. Just as important, he was not intercepted for the third game in a row against a gambling secondary. Roethlisberger set the tone on the first play with an 83-yard pass to Santonio Holmes that led to a touchdown. He made a perfect read and throw on a 33-yard touchdown to Nate Washington.

Running backs: A+
The Steelers had to play most of the game without Willie Parker, the NFL's leading rusher, who injured his right ankle on his first carry and did not return. But all that did was allow Najeh Davenport to have his best game with the Steelers, gaining 65 of his 123 rushing yards in the first half and scoring on a 1-yard run. He also caught a 12-yard touchdown pass and a 32-yard pass on a fake punt.

Receivers: B+
Holmes made the big play -- and 83-yard catch-and-run on a deep post that set up the first touchdown -- and converted a second-and-18 with a 23-yard catch that led to a field goal. But he wasn't the only one. Nate Washington had two more touchdown receptions, including a 33-yarder on a similar play to the touchdown he had last week against the Jaguars. And Hines Ward had a pair of big third-down catches in the fourth quarter to keep alive a drive that lasted 7 1/2 minutes.

Offensive line: C-
Roethlisberger was under a lot of pressure in the first half, getting sacked three times to tie his total from last season (46) and being forced from the pocket a number of other times. But the line did a nice job creating lanes for Davenport and the running game, which produced 85 yards in the first half and finished with 168. LT Max Starks was solid again filling in for injured Marvel Smith and threw several big blocks on Davenport runs.

Defensive line: D+
After allowing Jacksonville to rush for the most yards by an opponent in seven years, the Steelers did not do much better against Steven Jackson, who had 65 of his 85 rushing yards in the first half. And they didn't get much pressure on QB Marc Bulger, preferring to use a lot of three-man rushes and drop extra players into coverage. Bulger was sacked just once, and not until the fourth quarter.

Linebackers: D
There was little pressure on the quarterback again, though James Farrior had a sack in the fourth quarter -- ending a streak of 13 quarters without a sack. Most of that blame falls on the outside linebackers, who are responsible for generating pressure. OLB LaMarr Woodley got stiff-armed and failed to stop Jackson on a 12-yard catch-and-run touchdown in the first quarter.

Secondary: B-
The defensive backs needed to bounce back after allowing seven touchdowns and three passes of 55 yards or longer the past two games, and they did ... sort of. They didn't allow a pass longer than 23 yards, though Bulger threw a pair of first-half touchdowns and had over 200 yards passing. CB Ike Taylor was victimized on the second touchdown and had a 31-yard pass interference penalty that led to a field goal. CB Deshea Townsend made a number of big plays, though he failed to prevent a 23-yard touchdown.

Special teams: C
Thank goodnesss for a successful fake punt and a couple Jeff Reed field goals, otherwise it might have been a disaster. The Steelers failed to take advantage of the Rams' poor kick coverage and instead reverted to their own early-season ways, allowing returns of 43 and 49 yards that set up a pair of touchdowns in the first half. Allen Rossum fumbled his first punt return that forced the Steelers to start from their own 4.

Coaching: B
This was the first time Mike Tomlin had to prepare his team after a two-game losing streak and they came ready to play, even with a short work week. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was looking for ways to get big pass plays back into the offense, and he was successful. The defense can't seem to find ways to get pressure on the quarterback, a problem that isn't getting corrected
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Reportcard / Game 15 -- Steelers vs. St. Louis Rams

Again this week, I don't think Ben was "graded" fairly. Not only did Ben make some terrific heads-up plays, the guy had a perfect passer rating of 158.3, threw 3 TDs and 0 picks. That grade should be an A+ imho.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Again this week, I don't think Ben was "graded" fairly. Not only did Ben make some terrific heads-up plays, the guy had a perfect passer rating of 158.3, threw 3 TDs and 0 picks. That grade should be an A+ imho.
I agree A++++ for Ben, D for O Line, Najeh got alot of them yards on his own
Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:

As for the O-line, they were generous. Last year was terrible, and now Ben is tied in sacks? I'm not being fair-weather, this line needs to protect their QB. Perhaps going into the playoffs we should pick up a blocking TE - anyone at this point-put him on the line for help with the protection.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,365 Times in 3,290 Posts

The complete collapse of the pass rush is disappointing, but should make it easier to accept changes for next season. I attribute a lot of the problems with the run to Aaron Smith's injury, although it is possible not only Farrior but Big Snack are wearing down (as Troy continues unsound play with poor tackling and overrunning plays)

The big offseason issue is not just anticipated changes on the field (Timmons, Woodley & McFadden for Foote, Haggans & Townsend - Clark hopefully recovering) but whether Coach Dad may be hanging it up. Keeping LeBeau may have been a means to ease the transition post-Cowher, but Tomlin presumably has the confidence of this team and might be ready to make it his coaching staff.

As for the ST play, back to the drawing board - as I stated in another thread, having Davenport on the punt return team in the 4th quarter when he is pretty much the running game for the rest of the season indicates a shabby lack of attention to detail by someone responsible for ST play.

HTG - I agree Ben cannot catch a break with whomever is grading him at the P-G for both the Jax & Rams games - he had a perfect QB rating while (as usual) running for his life - if that is not A+ work what is?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
HTG - I agree Ben cannot catch a break with whomever is grading him at the P-G for both the Jax & Rams games - he had a perfect QB rating while (as usual) running for his life - if that is not A+ work what is?
his last name isnt brady or manning(the one in indy)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,365 Times in 3,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
his last name isnt brady or manning(the one in indy)
But this is the hometown paper doing the grading!
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

it dont matter dan... everyone in sports loves brady and manning

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Surprise surprise.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But this is the hometown paper doing the grading!
The Pittsburgh media is and has always been tough on Steelers QB's no matter how well they played, unfortunately.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote