Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Reportcard / Game 15 -- Steelers vs. St. Louis Rams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Surprise surprise.
The truth sometimes hurts, Jeremy, doesn't it?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
The truth sometimes hurts, Jeremy, doesn't it?
Ben still holds on to the ball too damn long and takes too many sacks. I don't see how anyone can watch him play and not see that big obvious truth. You want to blame it on the offensive line, but it's not the line's fault that their QB holds on to the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Ben still holds on to the ball too damn long and takes too many sacks. I don't see how anyone can watch him play and not see that big obvious truth. You want to blame it on the offensive line, but it's not the line's fault that their QB holds on to the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL.
I won't disagree with that, but I still believe the Steelers OL is a huge part of the ongoing sack saga.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

Ben holding the ball too long has to do with the plays called, a25+ yd post or a 20 yd out takes time to develop, we need to start calling a few more shorter routes
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

they did a stat yesterday that said in the last 3 games ben has been sacked 12 times. that is way too many sacks for your qb to be taking and not getting injuried.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I won't disagree with that, but I still believe the Steelers OL is a huge part of the ongoing sack saga.
OK....this is coming from someone who played O line when he was younger. Ben takes part of the blame for the sack problem. You can only hold down pass rushers for so long. You're moving backwards and they're moving forwards, it's simple physics. So it's on the QB when he scrambles around for 4-8 seconds instead of taking the check down throw. Until Saint Ben can learn that a 5 yard completion to the fullback, or a pass throw to the beer guy in the 10th row, is a good play he's going to keep having sack problems.

[QUOTE][Ben holding the ball too long has to do with the plays called, a25+ yd post or a 20 yd out takes time to develop, we need to start calling a few more shorter routes/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet that if you go back and watch the film, you'll see that he has a check down receiver on the flat on almost every one of those plays. The problem is that he won't use those receivers to his advantage.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,377 Posts

Quote:
That is the trade off for Ben making plays after the protection breaks down (give him Brady's protection and he could hold onto the ball for 8 seconds in the pocket) - I would like to see him dump the ball more often but holding on to the ball and taking sacks is an improvment from last year's chuck and duck exploits that resulted in INTs - I look for further improvement in terms of when to just throw the ball away since I have given up on any improvement in the pass protection
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Ben holding the ball too long has to do with the plays called, a25+ yd post or a 20 yd out takes time to develop, we need to start calling a few more shorter routes
Assuming Arians survives into 2008 maybe he can work with Ben on some three step drop and quick slants being put into the playbook such as the Rams ran early last night - right now the only quick hit short pass seems to be the flanker screen they have worked to death
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #19
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
That is the trade off for Ben making plays after the protection breaks down (give him Brady's protection and he could hold onto the ball for 8 seconds in the pocket) - I would like to see him dump the ball more often but holding on to the ball and taking sacks is an improvment from last year's chuck and duck exploits that resulted in INTs - I look for further improvement in terms of when to just throw the ball away since I have given up on any improvement in the pass protection
Power running game or a QB who throws the ball 30+ times a game. In the NFL you can have one or the other, but you can't have both.

I think Steelers fans need to think long and hard about what they really want the Steelers to look like in 5 years.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Power running game or a QB who throws the ball 30+ times a game. In the NFL you can have one or the other, but you can't have both.

I think Steelers fans need to think long and hard about what they really want the Steelers to look like in 5 years.
I do not know if you need to throw it 30 times a game but I agree (and T.H. had a series of posts on this last night) that this OL that combines the aging remnants of the SB O line and second stringers like Colon & Mahan does not match the skill set of Parker & Ben or Arians offensive schemes.

If there is a silver lining to the neglect of the OL in the draft for the last 5 years it may be that drafting the sort of OL geared to Cowher's power running game would have a lot of $$$ tied up in players not matchde to the offense the Steelers will be running for the foreseeable future after the last gasp of power running with Davenport for the rest of this season