Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Sepulveda: More than just punter

Sepulveda: More than just punter
By Chris Harlan
Published: Friday, December 21, 2007 1:26 AM EST

ST. LOUIS --- Steelers punter Daniel Sepulveda spent almost as much time throwing as he did kicking while warming up before Thursday night’s 41-24 win over the Rams in St. Louis.

We later saw why.

Sepulveda completed a 32-yard pass to Najeh Davenport on a first-quarter fake punt that led to a Steelers field goal. It was the team’s first fake punt this season and came with the Steelers facing a fourth-and-7 at their own 46-yard line.

The ball was in the air for 24 yards, but Sepulveda showed in warm-ups that he’s capable of much more. Sepulveda was throwing 60-yard passes to long snapper Greg Warren hours before the game, when only a few players were on the field.

Standing at the 40-yard line, the rookie punter was showing off his arm strength by throwing into the other end zone without taking a step.

HOLMES IS FINE

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes had his best game since returning from an ankle injury, topping the 100-yard mark for the third time this season in Thursday night’s 41-21 win over the Rams in St. Louis.

And that was when the first half wasn’t even over.

Holmes needed only two catches to reach the century mark, including an 83-yard pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the Steelers’ first play. Roethlisberger, throwing from his own end zone, found Holmes near midfield. The second-year receiver was a couple steps ahead of Rams cornerback Ron Bartell when he made the running catch, but couldn’t pull away from the St. Louis pursuit.

Bartell tackled Holmes at the 13-yard line. Nate Washington caught a 17-yard touchdown pass three plays later.

Holmes had only 47 yards receiving in the last two games combined since missing back-to-back games with a high ankle sprain. The 23-year-old’s other 100-yard games came against Baltimore (4-110) and Arizona (6-128).

MARVEL’S OUT

Steelers left tackle Marvel Smith was inactive, replaced in the starting lineup by back-up Max Starks. Smith, who has been bothered by a back injury, has now missed three of the team’s last five games.

Smith left the fourth quarter of Sunday’s loss to Jacksonville when the disc problem was obviously affecting his play. The eight-year veteran allowed four of the Jaguars’ five sacks.

Joining Smith on the team’s inactive list was LB Clint Kriewaldt (neck), LB Andre Frazier (groin), TE Jon Dekker, DE Ryan McBean, RB Gary Russell, G/C Darnell Stapleton and third QB Brian St. Pierre.

Inactive for the Rams were CB Eric Bassey (knee), WR Marques Hagans, RB Rich Alexis, OT Rob Petitti, C Nick Leckey, OT Lark LeVoir, DE Trevor Johnson and third QB Brock Berlin.

Alexis was added to Rams’ roster on Thursday to replace injured RB Travis Minor, who was placed on the season-ending injured reserve list with an ankle injury.

SO LONG, STALLWORTH

Now, Hines Ward has them all.

Ward had six catches for 59 yards in Thursday night’s victory over the Rams, moving the Steelers receiver to the top of the team’s all-time receiving yardage list. The 10-year veteran passed Hall of Fame receiver John Stallworth, who retired with 8,723 yards.

Ward already holds the team record for career receptions and career touchdowns, also surpassing Stallworth for those two marks.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Sepulveda: More than just punter

Congrats to Hines!!

And also to Dan! Good job!...........and here we were all waiting for the big tackle! He should practice throwing before every game now. They'll never know if he's going to do it or not!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

My question here is - why the hell did we waste a 4th round draft pick on a freakin' punter? Dan had some nice boots last night which again, would have pinned the Rams back had it not been for some shoddy ST's play.

That fake punt was a genius move - the Rams never saw it coming and Danny threw a darned nice pass!

Congrats Hines!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

this guy is brilliant! cant believe i doubted him
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
My question here is - why the hell did we waste a 4th round draft pick on a freakin' punter? Dan had some nice boots last night which again, would have pinned the Rams back had it not been for some shoddy ST's play.

That fake punt was a genius move - the Rams never saw it coming and Danny threw a darned nice pass!

Congrats Hines!
when i seen that play, i thought about you HTG. i was like she yelling her head off right now.. that was a great pass by daniel.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
My question here is - why the hell did we waste a 4th round draft pick on a freakin' punter?
When you see Ed Bouchette, ask him will ya??