Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,640 Posts
Default steelers tried to resign faneca? twice???

anyone catch the broadcasters talk about this last night. they made it sound like negotiations have been going on this year during the season, and both times, faneca rejected their offer.

anyone suprised? disappointed?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: steelers tried to resign faneca? twice???

I'm not surprised at all. The Rooney's are looking for a hometown, actual performance based deal and Faneca knows there will be some team out there that will pay top dollar.

I would like to see Faneca stay, but I also trust the Rooney's to be fiscally responsible. There are a few other guys that might face the same type of situation this upcoming year.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
anyone catch the broadcasters talk about this last night. they made it sound like negotiations have been going on this year during the season, and both times, faneca rejected their offer.

anyone suprised? disappointed?
Both......I'd love for him to stay, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I've taken the Kay sera sera attitude - what will be will be. I still do not believe Alan is worth $7 million per season and it is a pretty good bet the Rooneys don't either. No doubt some team will pay him that or close to it and I wish him well. I appreciate his stellar play for all of these years, but I think we're probably seeing the last of Alan in the Burgh.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I've taken the Kay sera sera attitude - what will be will be. I still do not believe Alan is worth $7 million per season and it is a pretty good bet the Rooneys don't either. No doubt some team will pay him that or close to it and I wish him well. I appreciate his stellar play for all of these years, but I think we're probably seeing the last of Alan in the Burgh.
Unless a change of heart happens, I don't don't doubt what your saying at all HTG.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I had heard in the preseason that he was offered $18 Million over 3 years as an extension. I would be curious to know how much of that was guaranteed.

I think Hutchinson, Davis, Dockery, and and others were younger than Alan when they signed their deals. I will be very curious to see what he gets on the open market now that he is 31.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

My guess would be, considering the source, that they made it up.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,676 Posts

If I thought this team was at the tail end of being a serious SB contender and had a 2-3 year window to plausibly win it alI I might mortgage the future to keep Faneca.

But since I see the next several years as a 1998-2000 rebuilding phase I say adios to Alan. That may sound grim but remember the Steelers contended for the playoffs into December in 1998 and 2000 with Kordell & Tzak as opposed to now having a franchise QB who can win some games on his own sheer talent - it does not mean it will be like rooting for chump teams like the Falcons - it just means it is somene else's turn to meaningfully contend to win it all for a few years. With a franchise QB you can rebuild quickly - look at Green Bay.

Alan got a ring and now wants a payday - I cannot say I definitely would think any differently if I was in his fortunate position.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,790 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
My guess would be, considering the source, that they made it up.
LOL - last night was one of the worst network broadcasting crews I have ever heard - Gumbel cannot do play by play & Deion + Faulk spout cliches. The Faneca negotiations fable must have been discussed while I was talking on the phone or got so frustrated by the babbling I put the sound on mute.

Add to that spotty camera work and the NFL should be embarassed about the quality of its game broadcasts.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

I definately agree with the broadcasting, Deion and Faulk should not be aloud behind a mic, before last night Madden was the worst commentator, but at least he knows about football and commentating (unfortunately stating the obvious and breaking the game down to pre-school level). I think the NFL network would have a leg to stand on with the Cable dispute if they put out a good product . . . I don't think they will be around much longer
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote